Would You Buy 100$ Frog Morton 100g Tin??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
In the right pipe FM is a stellar and unique smoke, now unobtainable unless u spend more.In a few years McClelland tobacco's will be even less available and may demand even more $$ on aftermarket. U will get way more than 10 bowls out of a 100 gram tin so the reference to cigars is a good one. If u have the $$ and love FM, consider a big tin instead of a box of cigars that will cost twice the amount. If $100 is alot, and it may be shop around or trade or try current market offerings that are not the same (imo) but very nice nonetheless.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
A C-note for 100g, even of FM, is highway robbery. Unless of course you just HAVE to have it & can't find it cheaper. Me, I wouldn't spend over $60 for it.
Bill

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Personally I think Frog Morton is a poor representation of an English blend, I still think the English make the best English blends. I’m not putting down McClelland as they had a lot of blends that I love but I went to them for their VA’s not their English blends. $100 a tin? That’s just silly.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Fair price right here;

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fs-mcclelland-frog-morton-blends-22319

peanubutter

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
Maxsmoke, good purchase for a new smoker. I have over paid for some pipe tobacco but even more for cigars that fell way short of being good. I have searched on-line for two months and have a tin of my must try tobaccos, finally.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Ha, just saw this thread and just paid $100 for a 100g of FMC that's on its way. Is it ridiculous? Yeah. Could I have bought 10 tins of other stuff? Yeah. But as a new smoker my curiosity was peaked. Video, after video online from 2018 and earlier described FMC as one of the top tobaccos out there. So I want to see what the hype was about. Also, coming from cigars, I would pay $120 for 10 Liga Privada No 9 robustos, each about a 1 hour smoke. How many bowls will I get out of 100g of pipe tobacco? Probably 20, maybe more? So from that perspective not such a ridiculous prospect. At least I managed to get 6 tins of various Dunhill varieties at normal cost before they disappear.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Video, after video online from 2018 and earlier described FMC as one of the top tobaccos out there.
You should have heard how badly people talked about McClelland before they went out of business.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Coming from cigars yes FM is still cheap at 100.00 for a 100 gram tin. At 3 grams a bowl it is still only 3.00 a bowl that will smoke for a good hour. Try and find a good cigar for 3 bucks.
There are so many great blends out there that are readily available and priced right. Here are a few you might want to try.

Escudo

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Capstan Blue Flake

Solani 633 and 660

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've always thought of Frog Morton as an aromatic for beginners that were latakia curious. And, if we are comparing it to cigars it would be the vanilla Black and Mild of pipe tobaccos.
I'm glad you said it, I have similar thoughts. I remember early experiences with Frog Morton thinking it was quite good. After smoking a number of other blends, realized it was just okay. But that's to my taster. I don't care what other people spend their money on.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Thanks for those recommendations. I have tins of Dunhill BB1938, Durbar Mixture and Ready Rubbed on the way, and Escudo Navy Deluxe, Peterson Gold Blend, and Rocky Patel Prohibition Pure and Simple (which I thought might be a good mild regular aromatic type smoke, like Lane 1Q). Already have 4 tins of the various CAO flavours (I guess I can't get away from the cigar world yet, although I don't think these have any cigar leaf in them) and a pouch of missouri meerschaum Danish blend which I've really enjoyed. And of course the FMC which I'll be cracking open over the weekend.

Sep 18, 2015
^^^ You gotta do whatca gotta do!

I wouldn’t, but then I’ve already gone thru a ‘few’ tins of it. It’s also possible I might have a ‘couple’ tins left.

Let us know what you think about it!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Nope, but I never smoked the Frog. Now, show me a large tin of Virginia No. 24, Pebblecut or Smyrna No. 1 and we'll talk.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Look at it this way, it's an investment in your pleasure. Most of us don't blink at a $100 dinner or bottle of scotch. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.