Would you advise your children to smoke a pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Advise them to? Nooo I don't think so. Obviously I really enjoy it, but let's be honest and admit that it's not necessarily the healthiest hobby they could choose. However, if either my son or daughter chose to take it up that wouldn't bother me at all :)
Both of them are occasional cigarette smokers, and that DOES bother me. I know that's not fair, but there it is :)

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
The ammount of grief my wife gives me because 'I stink' or '3rd hand smoking' etc is enough.. I think I'll wait until they are older, live elsewhere etc and if they wanna share my hobbies and vice versa then that's cool.
On a similar note, just 'how bad' is puffing on a pipe for our health?
I've tried to argue the blatantly obvious lack of poison compared to cig's but my wife is really unhappy with my enthusiasm over the last few months. Not the price of my pipes, not the cost of the baccy, but my stink and the effect on the families help, even though I only smoke outside in the garden or at the back door with it wide open with all other doors shut at like 3am..

Reactions: johnscs

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Yes, life is not about how long you live, buy how much you live. No one can say what tomorrow or heck what one hour from now will bring. Nothing even slightly bad about smoking a pipe, so if it makes life a bit better, and as we are on this forum we agree it does, why would you not? YMMV.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If they asked me to teach them, and they were of the appropriate age, yes I would teach them how to smoke a pipe, load a bowl, etc... I would not encourage it though, they would have to make the initiative.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
When my daughter's friends started smoking cigs, I got her a pack of cigs. We sat and smoked, she coughed and really didn't like it. She never smoked cigs again. Of course, she was "uncool" but happily she decided uncool is cool!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
fordm60: Not all of use agree that it makes life better. For some it reduces disposable income, presents a health hazard, or creates discord in the house. For me it is mostly a method of delivering nicotine. There are some evenings with a book that it is enjoyable but, it certainly does not make my life better.
As I watch my moneys waft up to the ceiling I sometimes feel damned stupid. But, it's a habit I live with as I firmly believe that everyone should have a vice of some sort. Smoking is mine.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a tough one?? As many have said I wouldn't encourage them to start it but if they came to me as adults or started smoking a pipe on their own I don't think I would discourage them either. :puffy:

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Warren, that is something I do not understand to be honest. If I like something I do if, if not I do not do it. With minimal facts and having never even met you, so therefore take this a grain of salt, I feel if I felt like you describe about smoking a pipe I strongly suspect I wouldn't smoke a pipe. Me, I love smoking my pipes. Therefore I continue to smoke them. If that ever changes, I will have to reevaluate. To me you have always been a bit of an enigma on the forum because of your apparent dislike of smoking. I will say, I always like reading your comments though! As I said YMMV, and happy puffing.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Last May, I taught my son to smoke a pipe. I think he has smoked once since then. He would not mind going to my pipe club meeting, but works on Saturdays. I am perfectly fine with him stopping or rarely smoking. I seriously doubt he will get interested.
FYI, he was 21 when I taught him.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I wrote that the pipe didn't make my life better, not that I hate smoking. I loved my wife, I love my daughter and I even love my dog. Pipes? I enjoy them, I don't love them or love smoking them. I do not dislike smoking. I enjoy my pipe. I enjoy cigarettes and cigars. But, I would never suggest to someone that they begin burning up their hard earned wages. It's a decision that should be made with care, weighing the risks and rewards. It's not a decision I would want to involve myself in as it might bite me in the butt later and lead to resentment or estrangement.
A few minutes of self-gratification does not make my life better, it mostly helps to pass the time and sometimes augment another activity. I think smoking is a selfish choice (I made it), expensive (I can afford it with no detriment to my lifestyle or adverse impact on my family), makes my vehicles smell ( I really do not smell it as others do), lowers the value of my vehicles and home, sometimes burns holes in my clothes, and is certainly not a positive to my health.
I should now list the reasons I smoke so you can understand that I do not hate smoking. I enjoy it as it satisfies my nicotine addiction, has reduced the number of acquaintances (not friends) and I am rarely asked to attend social functions (which used to bore me no end) and so rarely have to make up excuses for declining them. My pipe is a nice adjunct to a good book and glass of Port. Smoking keeps the bugs away when in the woods or at the marsh with the camera and gives me something to do while contemplating or waiting for a shot
So, while I may grudgingly admit that smoking has social advantages and in some ways makes my life easier, I also hesitate to say that it made my life better. Smoking just is something I do with little thought anymore. After 55+ years it is a reflex or habit.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I might add that, while I never begrudge someone smoking, I do question their decision making abilities. And, I'll add since people seem to resent being told they are selfish, making a purely selfish decision is often a good good thing to do. A certain amount of selfishness is a necessarily healthy attribute.

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
When our state passed a law banning smoking within 25 feet of doors or windows, my son (in college at the time) bought his first cigar. He and a friend measured 25 feet away from the nearest building and lit up as a protest.
He still smokes the occasional cigar and I've threatened to gift him with a pipe one day.
I have smoked a pipe for 50 years and never thought twice about the example I set for my kids who have their own minds.
Frankly, I cannot think of any activity including eating and sleeping which do not have some health risks associated. One could say that life is a health risk.
For me, pipe smoking is a relaxing and stress reducing pastime in which I find great pleasure.
As for the cost, anything which does not serve directly to keep body and soul together and keep a roof over your head might be an extravagance, but I am not such an ascetic as to deny myself all such enjoyments.
By comparison, I hate to think how much I have invested in Nikon film cameras and lenses which now see little use in a digital world!

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
@Warren Your posts in this thread come off as sad or depressing. It seems you have nothing more than a nicotine addiction from years of habit and perhaps you should just put a nic patch on your arm. Of course, as you say, that would prevent you from keeping people at bay. I have enjoyed your posts and insight on this forum but have to wonder if this (pipe smoking) is just a reflex then why actively engage in discussion here? Surely you enjoy pipe smoking and the camaraderie more than comes across? :?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I've said I enjoy the pipe, at times more than others. I do love the nicotine and a patch doesn't get it done. I keep hoping some company will come up with a nicotine IV. Plug in in the morning and off I'd go. The cigar is most useful to keeping a nice space. I suspect an oral fixation is involved as well as the habit or routine.
I thoroughly enjoy the humor on the site, I've made a few acquaintances, and a lively debate softens the day. But, I am a fan of my smoking, do not begrudge others the experience and, hard as it is to believe, think that smoking is a rather dirty habit when it comes to odors and residues in the carpet, drapes and paint. It's an action that has no good side other than self-gratification. I abhor wasting time and money. For some smoking does both. So I have some mixed emotion with my own doings but, that is my problem and certainly I do not expect anyone to feel sad about me dealing with the paradoxes in my life. I appreciate the thoughts though. It's just a waste of your time.
I enjoy the habit sufficiently to indulge in it. I indulge with a clean conscience and some regrets. I can recognize my shortcomings and live with them. A bit of regret is not a big downer. We all have them.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Some of the family members who criticize my smoking have no qualms about sitting out a fire pit for hours every week, breathing in smoke and stinking up their clothes, while their stinging watering eyes watch plume after plume of pollutants soar skyward. It's not a "necessary" fire--they don't heat with it, cook with it, etc. Isn't that just another waste of time and resources? But they enjoy it, and the harm is small, so why not?
But they wouldn't be prepared to grant me that same consideration. As to the OP'S question, well, I don't have children. I wouldn't want to see my younger cousins or nephew take it up until they're well into their twenties.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
I'd teach and talk to him about it but it's up to him. Though having a pipe with my son would be great.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
My 4 kids range from 5 to 18 years old, for the majority of them this is a question that I won't need to broach for a few years. That being said, I'd enjoy being able to sit with them when they are older and light up a bowl and talk. If they were smoking or interested in smoking I would definitely encourage a pipe as, of the various modes are f smoking tobacco I've tried, it is by far the most enjoyable from both a smoking and collecting vantage.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Guys, I didn't ask if you would provoke them to smoke or promote pipe smoking. Some of you got it wrong I guess. Really interesting answers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.