SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

This thread is inspired by another one, but it got me to thinking.

It is hard as hell to shop a gift for dads. I mean, we usually just buy what we want, and our kids and family are left with no idea what we long for as gifts. So, use this thread as a place to share some of the godawful stuff you've received over the years, and maybe some suggestions for things that you'd like. I'm especially curious about what you'd like as gifts, as maybe it'll give me some ideas for things to ask for also.

My worst gifts were... one year I got a Singing Christmas fish that hangs on the wall. I... I... don't even know what to say about that one.
Colognes... I don't even wear cologne usually, but when I do, It's usually very subtle, and not cheap. Don't buy me cologne.

When Mrs Cosmic and I started dating, one of the things she was really attracted to about me was that I didn't drink. And, she always brought up how she hated that her husband had been a constant drunk. So, for our first Christmas, what did she get me... a sterling silver flask, ha ha. I used to put a mixture of lemon juice and sugar in it to carry with me when we would go out for dinners. I'd order unsweet tea, and pour some into my drink when it would arrive, just get some raised eyebrows, ha ha.

Things that I always suggest to the wife and kids, are things like pipe stands, old ones, new ones, whatever. How can a pipestand be bad?
To Mrs Cosmic, I always tell her that I have a pipe picked out at the Briary for about $200, which is our agreed upon price range, but every year she disapproves of the one I picked out, and buys me one that thinks I'll like better, ha ha. I always go back into the Briary to have it out with Skip, and he is always like, "I tried Cosmic, but she insisted that she get you this other... I'm so sorry." It hasn't been as terrible as it sounds, because she has given me my first Neerups and Northern Briars... even though I know, but don't tell her I know, that Neerups are cheaper than our agreed upon prices, ha ha.

So, post your worst gifts, and/or gifts that you'd like to get.
Christmas is just around the corner. It's not too early to start dropping hints.
10 Christmas Morning Reactions To Terrible Gifts In GIFs – Mommyish

Anything I've ever given my wife
We had decided at the beginning of Covid to start buying sodas in cans, and saving the cans to recycle... ha ha, I don't even remember what our logic was, ha ha. But, we were stomping the cans to make room in the bags. And, Mrs Cosmic was a stickler for these different anniversary gifts per year... you know like the leather year, paper year, etc... etc... Well, it was our aluminum year last anniversary, so I bough her a can crusher, ha ha. It's big and ugly industrial looking thing that I reinforced the wall in the kitchen with 2x6's and she points this out to all visitors... with a voice of utter disappointment "this is what Cosmic got me for my anniversary," ha ha!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I told my kids when they were young enough to understand that I never wanted tangible gifts. If they want to gift me anything just give me a card. Homemade is even better and makes a true gift.

I still have every card my kids have given me.

My X wife couldn’t follow simple instructions, hence the X.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The "trick" of giving gifts it to listen to the person being gifted. Occasionally, when my wife admires something, I will immediately offer to get it for the next gifting occasion, rather than squander money on something I'm only guessing she'd like. She has been pretty brilliant buying me pipes and tobaccos. Among the pipes were my first churchwarden and my first Oom-Paul. Some people are fated to be poor at gifting. One friend gave my wife laboratory pipettes for cooking -- don't ask. Gifts can be really intimate and loving, if they reflect the close attention you have paid the person being gifted. If possible, avoid just gifting cash.

The "trick" of giving gifts it to listen to the person being gifted. Occasionally, when my wife admires something, I will immediately offer to get it for the next gifting occasion, rather than squander money on something I'm only guessing she'd like. She has been pretty brilliant buying me pipes and tobaccos. Among the pipes were my first churchwarden and my first Oom-Paul. Some people are fated to be poor at gifting. One friend gave my wife laboratory pipettes for cooking -- don't ask.
For Mrs Cosmic's Birthday, I was vending my art at an art show, and she had brought me a bizcard for a vender that had these handmade dresses, and she was trying to describe these dresses to me using fashion words that meant nothing to me. I don't know the difference between a pleet and fucking strap, ha ha. I was supposed to remember this description and buy the dress in secret, just like she explained, ha ha. So, I just handed her my bank card and said, "go get it, and happy birthday." puffy

I know when to listen and when to just give up the money.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve been happy with most of my gifts over the years, usually the worst ones I get are those with good intentions will get me a cheap basket pipe with bag of some cheap aromatic but whatever they don’t know any better.

I once made a necklace with my pulled wisdom teeth and gifted it to my oldest brother, hahaha, it was meant to be a joke but he didn’t find it too funny. I also got him a keychain one year when he was in college, it said, I ♥️ beer and it was a bottle opener! I thought it was fitting, cause you know, he was in college and all. So yeah, I’m the one in my family known for the worst gift giving. That is until I got good at turning wood, now I make gifts for family that I think they all really enjoy but who knows?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
My ex-wife always got me clothes to make me look more domesticated and bureaucratic like. Cardigans and such.
I've also received two copies of the same book of qoutes by famous people, compiled and translated by a local politician whom I detest and whose views I find despicable in every way.
That said, books are what I want. Not stupid ones, like the above, but real books.

I’ve been happy with most of my gifts over the years, usually the worst ones I get are those with good intentions will get me a cheap basket pipe with bag of some cheap aromatic but whatever they don’t know any better.

I once made a necklace with my pulled wisdom teeth and gifted it to my oldest brother, hahaha, it was meant to be a joke but he didn’t find it too funny. I also got him a keychain one year when he was in college, it said, I ♥️ beer and it was a bottle opener! I thought it was fitting, cause you know, he was in college and all. So yeah, I’m the one in my family known for the worst gift giving. That is until I got good at turning wood, now I make gifts for family that I think they all really enjoy but who knows?
One year, I gave my brother in law a wall mounted bronze naked woman bottle opener that you put the bottle between her legs to pry off the top, ha ha. It was more of a gag gift to see my sister's reaction, but when that SOB actually mounted that thing to the wall in his kitchen, haha... it's the gift that keeps on giving, haha.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
One of the most thoughtful gifts I've received was the first Christmas that my wife and I lived together (back when we were dating), she bought me a pair of nice dress boots. The retail price on them was equal to the better part of a week's worth of her wages at the time. We live about a half mile from my office, and I walk to work every day. In times of inclement weather, particularly on snowy days, I used to wear a pair of chore boots for the walk and carry my office shoes in my brief case. Now, I just wear the dress boots, which is a lot more convenient than needing to change my shoes in the morning when I get to work, at lunch when I go out, and in the evening for the walk home. They are very similar to this pair (same manufacturer, Allen Edmonds):

AE_Boots11.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only really shitty gifts I ever received were at my wedding. Several of my parents' friends were pathological cheapskates, one of whom "gave" us a clearly well and much used toaster. Another gave up a silver plated wine carafe, one of those long round bottomed ones meant to sit on a base, also clearly not new and missing the base, so there was no way to use it. MInd you, neither of these friends were of limited means. They were just tight with a penny, regardless.

The funniest gifts I've got were at my 60th birthday. My girlfriend set up a dinner party with my brother and his wife. After a truly spectacular meal, out came the gifts. I opened the first one and it was a black terry cloth bathrobe. Everyone admired the bathrobe and I opened the second box and it was...
another bathrobe, this one padded flannel tartan.

Two bathrobes.

I think that a message was being sent.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've gotten easy over the years. My wife, when she can't think of anything herself, will usually buy me a pipe, pipe stand or tobacco humidors. Last couple of years, she has been buying me Santa related stuff. Our oldest son buys me rum and our oldest daughter gets me bulk tobacco blends.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've gotten easy over the years. My wife, when she can't think of anything herself, will usually buy me a pipe, pipe stand or tobacco humidors. Last couple of years, she has been buying me Santa related stuff. Our oldest son buys me rum and our oldest daughter gets me bulk tobacco blends.

I made it simple for everyone: Redbreast Irish Whiskey or Highland Park Scotch.

Me and my stepdad for a few years have been in a game of brinkmanship of ever-increasingly costly scotch and bourbon as gifts to each other. I hope he stops upping the ante because we have reached a point where I can't keep up :oops: