PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@The Amish Tyrant @Chaukisch @Chasing Embers This Redcoat must be full of beer 🍺 and baccy now after visiting the UK pipe show in Nottingham today:)
Man it went down well!!!
Dad thinks I live on beer 🍺 and pipeweed:)
4 pints of beer 🍺 and lots of delicious 😋 pipe baccy!
Feel refreshed but not drunk, I really liked the smell of all that pipe smoke - and some of it was mine!
Nottingham didn't get the smog they were expecting - and I think all our pipe smoke offset them replacing diesel buses with biogas:)
I wore my Redcoat (AKA my smoking jacket - @condorlover1:)) and met a Sealed Knot pikeman although he didn't come in costume.
I wrote a short story about the Sealed Knot re-enactors going to the pub the night before the UK smoking ban in 2007 where they all get dressed up and have a good drinking and smoking session. Well that's what today was like:)
Now I know how the pub would have smelled when the Sealed Knot went there!
Didn't see anyone else smoking a clay pipe though...
@The Amish Tyrant @Chaukisch @Chasing Embers I must have sucked down a full packet of pipe baccy today - Man it went down well!!!
200.gif

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Now that's in my pipe size area!

View attachment 168610
@Chasing Embers How long do you think it would take to smoke?
Clays burn hot so probably burn a bit quicker than a wooden pipe of similar size.
I'd need a slow burning baccy as well; not Clan as that stuff is fire:)
Maybe the Redcoats would have been better off putting their Clan in their guns instead of in their pipes - I told that joke in Nottingham today!!!
I like the idea of taking bets on how long it would take to smoke and the time closest to my smoking time wins a prize. It would make a great fundraiser!!!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
A briar that size would last me around two hours.
@Chasing Embers The reason I'm prone to puffing a bit too hard a times is:
1) I like to see smoke coming from my clay.
2) I worry about it going out...
What do you think would be good to smoke in a giant clay (available in UK)???
It can't be a fast burning baccy like Clan or Yorktown as they burn too hot...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Chasing Embers The reason I'm prone to puffing a bit too hard a times is:
1) I like to see smoke coming from my clay.
2) I worry about it going out...
What do you think would be good to smoke in a giant clay (available in UK)???
It can't be a fast burning baccy like Clan or Yorktown as they burn too hot...
Definitely a cube cut flake. I'd go with Old Dark Fired.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Definitely a cube cut flake. I'd go with Old Dark Fired.
@Chasing Embers Do you think I should get a giant clay cadger pipe?
I've seen one in Chesterfield Museum in a temporary exhibition and I'd never seen one so big!!!
I'd like to fill it and see how long it takes to smoke - definitely a King Size clay for the Clay King:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
@halfdan
Glad you had a good time with good brew and tobac, the King of Clay really seem to be lighting up a lot of it. puffy
It would be fun to get hold of a giant 'cadger' clay pipe, fill it up and see how long it takes to smoke; I'd probably be puffing on it all day:)
The biggest chambered clay I've seen for sale so far is this one, in all black and at 2.3in chamber height.
I'm definitely going to get one but wish there were more designs and sizes to choose from.
IMG_4894-scaled.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan
Glad you had a good time with good brew and tobac, the King of Clay really seem to be lighting up a lot of it. puffy

The biggest chambered clay I've seen for sale so far is this one, in all black and at 2.3in chamber height.
I'm definitely going to get one but wish there were more designs and sizes to choose from.
View attachment 168720
@Chaukisch I'd like to find out how much they hold and how long it would take to smoke.
Is this your pipe; not seen any this big before!
If so, where did you get it?
@Chasing Embers A King Size clay for the Clay King 👑!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan

View attachment 168720
@Chaukisch I like the idea of placing bets on how long people think it would take me to smoke the giant 'cadger' clay and the closest to my actual time wins a prize:)
The proceeds from the bets would be donated to charity (either the Don Catchment Rivers Trust or Macmillan Cancer Support). Possibly 50 / 50...
I would need to organise this charity fundraiser if I got a giant clay pipe:)

Reactions: Chaukisch

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I'd like to find out how much they hold and how long it would take to smoke.
Is this your pipe; not seen any this big before!
I'm also very curious, I wish my current clay pipe had that kind of chamber although I heard that the tobac can get somewhat yucky on the last bits with a chamber that size. But I also like to draw my cigars down to the last bits for a strong feel in the mouth. And I smoke all this humble unrefined leaf, so whatever.

And nay, that's not my pipe. Not quite yet! I took the picture from this local online shop right here:
The just recently added it, I haven't seen it before.

I like the idea of placing bets on how long people think it would take me to smoke the giant 'cadger' clay and the closest to my actual time wins a prize:)
The proceeds from the bets would be donated to charity (either the Don Catchment Rivers Trust or Macmillan Cancer Support). Possibly 50 / 50...
I would need to organise this charity fundraiser if I got a giant clay pipe:)
Tell me, when smoking fast how do you deal with build up moisture? Do you swap the stem regularly?
In a recent video I saw some contestants holding the pipe chamber up, stem down. What the heck?
Do you guys just suck out the juice?!
And do you also use a short clay pipe for speed smoking?

And the last question to the King of Clay:
What's your shortest and longest clay pipe?

And a good evening to you! puffy Cheers and hail! 🍻

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I'm also very curious, I wish my current clay pipe had that kind of chamber although I heard that the tobac can get somewhat yucky on the last bits with a chamber that size. But I also like to draw my cigars down to the last bits for a strong feel in the mouth. And I smoke all this humble unrefined leaf, so whatever.

And nay, that's not my pipe. Not quite yet! I took the picture from this local online shop right here:
The just recently added it, I haven't seen it before.

Tell me, when smoking fast how do you deal with build up moisture? Do you swap the stem regularly?
In a recent video I saw some contestants holding the pipe chamber up, stem down. What the heck?
Do you guys just suck out the juice?!
And do you also use a short clay pipe for speed smoking?

And the last question to the King of Clay:
What's your shortest and longest clay pipe?

And a good evening to you! puffy Cheers and hail! 🍻
@Chaukisch All my clays are about the usual 6 inch length.
I just light the clay and puff it down until I've smoked all the baccy:)
Definitely got a lot of plant material into my body yesterday:)
Broke one of my clay pipes this morning 🌄🌞:-(
Going to down another clay now!

Reactions: Chaukisch

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
All my clays are about the usual 6 inch length.
I'm very surprised, I thought you also had some 15 inchers or even longer ones. Not that it matters at all.
How many, approximately, do you have in total?

Broke one of my clay pipes this morning 🌄🌞:-(
Going to down another clay now!
Yep, me too. Got unfocused for just a a second while binding my clay and broke it about 2in behind the chamber. I couldn't accept it and the break was clean enough so I just taped it up and rebound it with the ol' hemp twine. I just presented my mug and the new binding in the "What Are You Smoking" thread, if you'd like to check it out.

The pipe is barely a year in my hands and I already recently bit off a piece. Now this...
I can't let it go like that. I better shape up.

Status
Not open for further replies.