PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I didn’t expect Portugal to look THAT good today. Exciting to see them play next match. I would use same philosophy of sitting Ronaldo to start; they need to rely on best play and not funnel everything through Christiano. Seen too many passed up opportunities for fear of upsetting him.

France England figures to be a Crackerjack match. But wondering how McGwire holds up against the French onslaught. Giroux is playing like a man determined to get his glory. Mbappe, Dembele And Griesman all looking exceptional (Mbappe looking like THE premiere player of the tourney)

Not sold on Argentina; they left too many goals off the scorecard. And Lautaro hasn’t finished ANYTHING. He’s looked as bad as Lukaku in terms of lack of finish.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I didn’t expect Portugal to look THAT good today. Exciting to see them play next match. I would use same philosophy of sitting Ronaldo to start; they need to rely on best play and not funnel everything through Christiano. Seen too many passed up opportunities for fear of upsetting him.

France England figures to be a Crackerjack match. But wondering how McGwire holds up against the French onslaught. Giroux is playing like a man determined to get his glory. Mbappe, Dembele And Griesman all looking exceptional (Mbappe looking like THE premiere player of the tourney)

Not sold on Argentina; they left too many goals off the scorecard. And Lautaro hasn’t finished ANYTHING. He’s looked as bad as Lukaku in terms of lack of finish.
Yeah, Portugal surprised me, as well. If they play like that for the rest of the tournament they could go all the way.

If both teams play to their potential England v France could be a classic. France are looking great and that's without some of their best players. Pogba, N'Golo Kante and ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema are all missing. Their squad is still stacked, tho. I just hope England play well and give them a proper game. If they play as well as they did in the first game and like they did in the final hour of the Senegal match they can definitely win. I wanna see Jude Bellingham and Phil Foden start. It'll be interesting to see what sort of game plan Southgate uses to stop Mbappé.

I agree with you about Harry Maguire. He hasn't got any pace and could come unstuck against the French attack. I didn't even want to see him in the squad but Southgate selecting him was a good call as he's played well during the tournament. I just hope Southgate doesn't go too defensive and we actually have a go at them. I can live with us losing to the reigning world champions as long as we give it a go and attack them.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I just hope Southgate doesn't go too defensive and we actually have a go at them. I can live with us losing to the reigning world champions as long as we give it a go and attack them.
^^^ Could not agree more
If England sit back too much and try to absorb pressure the are likely to get run over by a team that has so many offensive weapons.

Re Maguire - He’s slow and anyone who watches English football has got to be waiting for him to make a big mistake at a critical moment. I hope this doesn’t happen but I’m nervous whenever he is on the pitch.

Like you I hope Foden starts

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Neymar had a quiet game.... until he didn't. Brazil went for the win from minute one whereas Croatia were happy to sit back and hopefully nick a goal or make it to the penalty shoot out.
Brazil definitely should've had Neymar further up the penalty taking list. Dude didn't even get the chance.

Brazil deserved the win but as William Munny said: "deserve's got nothin' to do with it"

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I didn’t get to see it as Directv was advertising the matches to start on SATURDAY🤷‍♂️ Fortunately say this post, so I just tuned into Netherlands v Argentina.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Just finished watching the highlights of Brazil. Wow! Would’ve expected Croatia to fold (if I were watching live) after that Neymar goal. They push forward and get the equalizer. (A bit of luck with that deflection, but it’s often times a game of fortuitous bounces).
The penalties.... 🤔no Neymar??? 🤷‍♂️ Someone’s getting sacked for that decision.
That opening take by Croatia, just under the post dead center, killer. Richarlson going low (my pet peeve) was another example of the stupidity of some takers’ approach.
Brazil just didn’t have their typical panache for finishing. (A theme with this particular tournament... how many top players haven’t been able to finish? Lewandowski missed a PK, Messi missed a PK, plenty of missed opportunities for Lukaku, Neymar missing two yawning goals, Dani Olmo etc).
Quite a surprising result.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Argentina with the lead.... could we see a dream final (albeit one that should have happened when both were in their prime) of Messi v Ronaldo for the title of greatest footballer???

Jun 9, 2018
England
What a great game! Holland didn't turn up for the first 70 minutes, then suddenly they remembered that they're allowed to attack the opposition. What about that Dutch free kick? Awesome.

A brilliant game with about 86 yellow cards😂

Reactions: Aomalley27

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
We are in, that's Right.
Netherlands is not made to be world champion.
I'm sorry for the Dutch, but no team in history missed so many opportunities and now that always weighs on them.
Netherlands always is a tough rival but we never was losing, they at best only could be even.
Vamos Argentina Carajo.

Last edited:

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Argentina-Netherlands has a little bit of everything; and a whole lotta STUPIDITY.
They go up 2-0; then self implode with bad fouls, and dumb yellow worthy plays.

A dumb handbal, then a stupid retaliation card by Timber. Wreckless fouls by oatamendi and parades, followed by Van Dyke with another Dutch retaliation foul. Late sub heroics, and the Dutch scoring after a dumb foul outside the box by Oatamendi. They convert the nifty set piece and tie with seconds remaining. A thriller of a second 15 (after a dull first 15 minutes of extra time), a few near misses, including off the post with seconds left.

And the penalties😱Didn’t see it playing out that way. Martinez stops first two Dutch attempts, Argentina make their first 3, Dutch make theirs, a miss by Argentina’s fourth puts it all on the shoulders of Lautaro, (the same guy that missed 3 opportunities against the Aussies, including a yawning open goal) he buries it.

Some incredible play, and ALOT of poor sportsmanship. From Enzo Martinez launching ball into Dutch reserves, Emo Martinez flexing over Luke De Jong, the dumb shove by Timber, the dumber shove by Van Dyke, and the handball by Messi (which should have warranted a yellow).

In all, three times benches cleared. Lots of hot heads. And a terrible ending to Louis Van Gaal’s run. (Would’ve made a heck of a story What with his third stint as skipper, and battling cancer).

Can’t wait for tommirow’s Matches.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Argentina-Netherlands has a little bit of everything; and a whole lotta STUPIDITY.
They go up 2-0; then self implode with bad fouls, and dumb yellow worthy plays.

A dumb handbal, then a stupid retaliation card by Timber. Wreckless fouls by oatamendi and parades, followed by Van Dyke with another Dutch retaliation foul. Late sub heroics, and the Dutch scoring after a dumb foul outside the box by Oatamendi. They convert the nifty set piece and tie with seconds remaining. A thriller of a second 15 (after a dull first 15 minutes of extra time), a few near misses, including off the post with seconds left.

And the penalties😱Didn’t see it playing out that way. Martinez stops first two Dutch attempts, Argentina make their first 3, Dutch make theirs, a miss by Argentina’s fourth puts it all on the shoulders of Lautaro, (the same guy that missed 3 opportunities against the Aussies, including a yawning open goal) he buries it.

Some incredible play, and ALOT of poor sportsmanship. From Enzo Martinez launching ball into Dutch reserves, Emo Martinez flexing over Luke De Jong, the dumb shove by Timber, the dumber shove by Van Dyke, and the handball by Messi (which should have warranted a yellow).

In all, three times benches cleared. Lots of hot heads. And a terrible ending to Louis Van Gaal’s run. (Would’ve made a heck of a story What with his third stint as skipper, and battling cancer).

Can’t wait for tommirow’s Matches.
Yeah, van Gaal is a great manager and I wish him well with his ongoing battle with cancer🙏🏻. Lovely man, as well. I saw the footage from earlier in the tournament where he hugged the journalist who said he was a big fan.

Reactions: Aomalley27
Jun 9, 2018
England
Good game. France were much better in the first half but we were better in the second. Wish we had played like that from the start. I thought that was a definite England penalty in the first half. The ref didn't do us any favours.

No disgrace to lose to France. We gave them a proper game, at least. I hope Morocco go on and win it, now.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Although this ref is shit. It seems like FIFA wants France to advance.
The officiating in the entire tournament has been 💩 But you can’t dismiss the half dozen missed opportunities England had. (I watched Kane pull a Baggio) Saw the free ball five feet in front of goal that no one seemed to want to pounce upon. The early miss by Kane when he caught Lloris out of position. The Rachford just over the crossbar to end the game. The McGwire missed header, etc.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson