PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It seems that the consensus is, which aligns with my experience, that no; most women are not repelled by pipe smoke in general. Obviously some are, and some tobaccos are disagreeable to a particular one, but most are more intrigued.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I've had several women approach me and comment on how charming I look while smoking a pipe. Trouble is their average age is 60 and I'm sure their fathers or grandfathers smoked pipes so they've got this whole nostalgia thing going on; I doubt, however, it would be appealing to most young modern women.
Pipe smoking is for codgers!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
This may sound selfish. I have two daughters, two daughters-in-laws and 3 granddaughters. When I'm gone from the material world, I hope to be a memory brought forth by someone smoking a pipe.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
When I'm gone from the material world, I hope to be a memory brought forth by someone smoking a pipe.

+1
It's something I've often thought about, how memories come back and hopefully, pipe tobacco smoke will be a trigger for it.

Something close to the "Madeleine" of Proust.

She sent out for one of those short, plump little cakes called 'petites madeleines,' which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted scallop of a pilgrim's shell. And soon, mechanically, weary after a dull day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate, a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, but individual, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory--this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me, it was myself. I had ceased now to feel mediocre, accidental, mortal. Whence could it have come to me, this all-powerful joy? I was conscious that it was connected with the taste of tea and cake, but that it infinitely transcended those savours, could not, indeed, be of the same nature as theirs. Whence did it come? What did it signify? How could I seize upon and define it?
Continue reading here ...
MadeleineProust.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OH, hell, that's only an excerpt! Where are the other 25,000 pages?? After we remember the past, let's get down and onto Swan's Way.... :)
In a more serious vein, that passage is oft quoted when folks refer to taste memory. I haven't had such an epiphany by eating anything. Well, there's one thing, but that will go un specified.
Anyone else?

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I haven't had such an epiphany by eating anything

Really, you've never eaten something you used to eat before in your life and memories came rushing ?
Have you ever felt that with smoking? Smoking a blend that connects to an earlier memorable event when you smoked the same blend ?

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Getting back to the OP's question, I find it a rather meaningless grasp at creating a new topic like some others here and if I were a woman, maybe even a bit insulting. No one group of people can be adequately described just because of their gender, and does it really matter? Does anyone here smoke or not smoke to attract or repel women?
What about a guy building wood or metal things in the garage? Or watching or playing a football game with the guys on the weekend? How many other things do guys do that women generally find uninteresting; how many things do women do we find the same way?
Bottom line is that either she likes you for what you are or she doesn't.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I think tmb makes a good point. But interesting topic none-the-less. More than once I've had women comment positively about my pipe when out in public. My old lady loves my pipes and tobacco. She's a cig smoker though and rolls her own with American Spirit. I must admit when she first lights one up it does smell really nice.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Getting back to the OP's question, I find it a rather meaningless grasp at creating a new topic like some others here and if I were a woman, maybe even a bit insulting. No one group of people can be adequately described just because of their gender, and does it really matter? Does anyone here smoke or not smoke to attract or repel women?
What about a guy building wood or metal things in the garage? Or watching or playing a football game with the guys on the weekend? How many other things do guys do that women generally find uninteresting; how many things do women do we find the same way?
Bottom line is that either she likes you for what you are or she doesn't.
Yes, we can make valid generalizations about women, or any identifiable group for that matter. Their common characteristics are exactly what make them an identifiable group. For example, are women generally better or worse than men at throwing a baseball? Are women generally physically stronger or weaker than men? Do women on average score higher or lower on tests of verbal intelligence? How about spatial intelligence?
In short, there is nothing offensive, or otherwise wrong with, OP's question regarding trends in women's perception of pipe smoking.

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
My case is simple: my wife doesn't get a chance to see or smell me smoking. :? 90% of the time kids will be around, and I don't want to set an example, until they are old enough. The remaining 10% is late at night, at our rented apartment, where the landlord objects to smoking (although he himself is a smoker, the bastard...). She likes the looks of old pipes and the smell of tobacco out of the tin, that's all I can report for now.
The overall smoking scene in Russia horrifies me. Schoolgirls smoke, college students smoke, hipsters produce clouds of vapour like mini-locomotives. I doubt that a single guy with a pipe can cause any annoyance, curious looks at best.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
I try to date women who smoke. A woman who smokes will put anything into her mouth.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
My reason for asking the question is quite simple: I'm going to be meeting with a new lady soon, and don't want to offend her, if she is so inclined, with a pipe. Nothing unsavory, gents.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
My experience, no. In fact, women, even young women, rubber neck to locate the aroma's source and then smile when they see ame clenching a pipe. More positive than negative response. Have had a *few* look in disdain, but mostly, no, positive response.
If I *want* a positive response, Molto Dulce. They'll ask me to come sit nearer. But... I don't load a pipe with Molto Dulce unless I know I'll be smoking close to people.
Like many other pipe smokers... I smoke in private. For my own enjoyment.
My wife likes it. She'd like it better if I didn't smoke at all. But if I smoke, she approves of the pipe. Has bought me pipes. And loves me regardless.
Do I avoid smoking if I know it's looked down on among people in general (not just women)? Yes. I'll brush my teeth, tongue, and everywhere I can. I'll wear Downy-fresh laundered clothing.
Pipe smoking is my private leisure. If I were meeting a woman in regard to potential romantic involvement, I'd have to base my decision to continue pipe smoking in regard to my priorities. And that... might vary. If it were important to her, and she was that important to me, I'd probably quit smoking.
In short... depends on *her*. Ask her.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My reason for asking the question is quite simple: I'm going to be meeting with a new lady soon, and don't want to offend her, if she is so inclined, with a pipe. Nothing unsavory, gents.
Good luck, sparrowhawk! And may she find your pipe smoking charming :puffy:

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Do women in general automatically steer away from male pipe smokers?
Not in my experience. I'm sure there are some hardcore anti-smoking women for whom it would be a deal breaker, but probably much less so those who just steer away from cigarette smokers.
It's always been my experience that the absolute #1 thing that women are attracted to above all else is confidence. Works for me anyways.
The girl I'm dating now recently told me that she had never really found pipes attractive until she met me, and now she thinks it's incredibly sexy. Kind of makes me think that most women probably haven't seen or known enough pipe smokers to have an opinion about it, and will instead create an opinion about pipes that mirrors her opinion about the smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.