PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GenXApex

Lurker
Oct 3, 2023
Sylvania, OH
I'm in far NW Ohio and I think I would probably go out comfortably around 30 degrees. Anything lower than that and I'll fire up the propane heater in the garage and smoke in there. I have a couch and a TV in the garage as well.

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
I think the lowest I have smoked is -17F. High-loft jacket and pants and a ushanka on my head and I was ok for 45 minutes to an hour. My hands did get cold.

I have since made a ventilated smoking room in the basement. I feel spoiled now!

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I probably have no lower limit. I definitely stood outside smoking cigarettes in -35ºC/-31ºF when I was young and stupid.

On a calm sunny day, the air temp doesn't matter much. As stated above, it's the wind that'll kill you. If you wear enough layer's though, especially wools and down, with a good shell, ski pants, long johns, proper boots, mitts, a hat, multiple hoods, etc. you don't really feel the cold. YMMV!

When it's windy and very cold I smoke in the woods where there's much less wind, or on the river, where the bank acts like a wind break.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Clothes are tools too ... in cold weather wool, cashmere, alpaca, and reindeer fur are essential. Wool keeps you warm even if soaking wet which is why sailors wear wool sweaters. A good wool coat and hat can help enhance a smoke in cold weather. Just 2 cents ...

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I’m in Tomball but was raised in Washington State. This is good weather for wearing wool hat, coat, gloves, socks, and thermal underwear too and bottom. Some hot coffee or tea. I smoked three times outside today. It is possible!

My limit is about 6 degrees Fahrenheit, maybe lower!
Howdy. Maybe we should have lunch sometime and meet. Just 10 miles apart. I am actually Cypress

Jeez, even in an extreme weather event, you guys have someone making you smoke outside. I fell compelled to come liberate you guys from your oppressors. It breaks my heart that you've tied yourselves to such foul, evil beings of cruelty. They must hold some dark evil control over you guys, or maybe they physically harm you. I am so sorry.

That said, hell I don't even go outside when the weather is below 50F. Hell if I try to smoke in that torture. I f'n hate the cold. I'm not even a fan of seeing pictures of people who are cold. brrrrrrr

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Jeez, even in an extreme weather event, you guys have someone making you smoke outside. I fell compelled to come liberate you guys from your oppressors. It breaks my heart that you've tied yourselves to such foul, evil beings of cruelty. They must hold some dark evil control over you guys, or maybe they physically harm you. I am so sorry.

That said, hell I don't even go outside when the weather is below 50F. Hell if I try to smoke in that torture. I f'n hate the cold. I'm not even a fan of seeing pictures of people who are cold. brrrrrrr
The mistake is putting the pipe down !
1705591821391.png

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Wisconsin weather smoker. When outdoors I am always lunting to keep warm, I use a churchwarden to keep open flames away from my beard, a windcap is mandatory, and a Zippo is the only lighter that works reliably. I got pretty good at it.

With persistence and the kids finally all moved out, I pushed hard enough that my wife allowed me a smoking man cave. Life is a lot easier, and luckily pipe tobacco is fairly cheap as I smoke quite a bit more now.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I smoke outside by my own volition. My wife would let me smoke inside, and maybe every couple of weeks I'll have a smoke in the basement, but for the most part, the Iowa winters shut me down. At 73, I can't take the cold like I used to.
I like to sit outside on a swinging chair with an old book and a churchwarden. 50 degrees is about the limit I can do that comfortably.
Marty

Reactions: FLDRD

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I'm in northern NJ, during day, I'll smoke in any temperature if it's sunny, and at night I'll smoke if it's down to the lower 30's if it isn't windy.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the wind the wind the wind. That's where I run into problems. It's when I stop enjoying it. I can freeze my face off and find it more enjoyable with a pipe then without. But if relights aren't easy and I have to pull my hands out of pocket or glove and fight the wind to get a match lit, that's when I stop enjoying the process.
Even in really hot, humid weather? I usually call it if it’s over 90°F.
I found out last year that some blends are a o.k. in hot humid weather and some change into something horrible. Goopy aros which normally don't bother me become extra gunky and harder to smoke and Latakia takes on an acrid horrible taste, burly gets more bitter which can be better or worse blend dependant, and Va blends get touchier and more prone to bite. Give me the cold over that.