PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Fellow pipers here in Houston it’s 28 degrees, cloudy, and windy and while I could suit up in winter clothing for a smoke I just don’t care for the cold. If it were sunshine and no wind I would but not today.

I am sure I am a wimp compared to all of you in North US, Canada, Scandinavia, etc.

Made me think what is everyone’s temp limits to getting in a smoke (if outside smoker) ?
At anywhere from -9 to -18 the past few days, 28 sounds wonderful.

Having said that, unless I'm on a winter walk and pause to sit for a bit out in the country somewhere, I'm in the garage until the temp is north of 50 degrees and comfortable on the deck.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Saturday it was 11F with a windchill down in the negatives as we had a really good wind storm. Tree's were down every where and lots of people have been without power for several days. Our local FD had 3 good structure fires the last couple days, which is a shame. All the snow that came down Saturday, just blew everywhere so we only got about 2-3 inches of snow instead of the 8-10" we were supposed to get. Yesterday was 18F and today its currently 21F. We're supposed to have an ice storm tomorrow. Those are no fun, so hopefully it won't be as bad as they're predicting.

I've had the wood stove going in the house, so our furnace doesn't have to work so hard, and I've been hanging in my heated shop, smoking my pipes and watching football.

Reactions: Steddy and Tate

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Fellow pipers here in Houston it’s 28 degrees, cloudy, and windy and while I could suit up in winter clothing for a smoke I just don’t care for the cold. If it were sunshine and no wind I would but not today.

I am sure I am a wimp compared to all of you in North US, Canada, Scandinavia, etc.

Made me think what is everyone’s temp limits to getting in a smoke (if outside smoker) ?
I’m in Tomball but was raised in Washington State. This is good weather for wearing wool hat, coat, gloves, socks, and thermal underwear too and bottom. Some hot coffee or tea. I smoked three times outside today. It is possible!

My limit is about 6 degrees Fahrenheit, maybe lower!

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I’d say it depends on how bad I want a smoke. Sometimes I just don’t feel like putting on wool base layers and layering up to have a smoke.
In general, if I really want one, I’m smoking. It rarely gets below freezing here so I’m out in the 30s fairly regularly. To me it’s not really cold until it gets below 32 F.
But I will brave the 20s.

Reactions: kcghost and Tate

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I don't smoke inside our house on account of my young kids so on the porch for me if I want a smoke after supper. This weekend it was near zero Fahrenheit (-15C) plus very windy. That kind of sucked. But that's what small bowl nosewarmers and Royal Yacht or 5 Bro"s are made for.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I drove to my favorite spot by the lake yesterday afternoon to have a nice smoke. It was about 20 degrees out. I walked to the bench, sat down, and made it about ten minutes before I regretted my decision and felt like my fingers were going to fall off. Headed back and finished the bowl in the truck.

I think 30 degrees is as low as I can go for an outside smoke.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I'm probably comfortable to smoke outside in any temperature as long as it isn't windy to boot. That's because I'm only outside in crazy temperatures when I absolutely have to do something and smoking a pipe makes whatever crappy task it might be slightly more enjoyable.

Luckily, when it's really cold I can smoke inside. Usually an aromatic or a VaPer goes over well with my wife and kids. I wait to smoke English and Balkans when I'm in the car or when the weather is warmer.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
I'm probably comfortable to smoke outside in any temperature as long as it isn't windy to boot. That's because I'm only outside in crazy temperatures when I absolutely have to do something and smoking a pipe makes whatever crappy task it might be slightly more enjoyable.

Luckily, when it's really cold I can smoke inside. Usually an aromatic or a VaPer goes over well with my wife and kids. I wait to smoke English and Balkans when I'm in the car or when the weather is warmer.
The wind is the killer!