PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So, necessary? I follow Briarboyo on Insta and he seems to always be using one.
I have smoked 99% in a shed so no issues. When I went to check somthing outside it definitely burned more. Didn’t take any effort to keep the thing lit but the smoke didn’t get particularly hot.

If I plan to smoke out doors is it worth investing in one (Or more) of these??
you'll know if you want to try one or not. I had one pipe that had one built in and it was nice when it got super windy.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
That’s really helpful. Thank you. Hadn’t ever thought to smoke at the beach. Would be nice but I’d imagine you’d want to sit away from public. Well just not too close packed is what I mean.

I used a wind cap at the beach last weekend. It was super windy and the cap did just the trick. I pop the cap off here and there to tamp it.

Reactions: ofafeather

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Wow, really!? That is such a shame!!!
Did u see it coming while smoking? Make sense. Breezy and breezier could feel quite different on your face but be the difference between hot and pipe destroying furnace I guess..
Shame.
I’ll make sure I never smoke a nice pipe (when I get around to buying one) our doors if windy at all.
Thanks for sharing!

I have one

Smoking on the beach in a gale was how I lost a pipe from burn through. The bowl basically caught on fire. I no longer smoke in the great outdoors.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I'm sitting out in slightly breezy conditions right now. Smoked one bowl of Escudo completely rubbed out and now am smoking OGS using the stuff and fold technique.

Seems like there are less issues so far with wind using stuff and fold as the tobacco is more tightly packed in. Might be a solution.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Cool.
Does that affect the draw or keeping it alight? I guess keeping a pipe lit in a breeze is a non issue. The opposite in fact is what we are discussing. Lol

Do u think types of tobacco are playing a role?

I'm sitting out in slightly breezy conditions right now. Smoked one bowl of Escudo completely rubbed out and now am smoking OGS using the stuff and fold technique.

Seems like there are less issues so far with wind using stuff and fold as the tobacco is more tightly packed in. Might be a solution.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Cool.
Does that affect the draw or keeping it alight? I guess keeping a pipe lit in a breeze is a non issue. The opposite in fact is what we are discussing. Lol

Do u think types of tobacco are playing a role?
I'm definitely not as experienced in using the stuff and fold technique, so that might come into play. But so far, so good, and I don't "think" that it's a tobacco difference. Mind you, I'm out in a light breeze, nothing too serious.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Wow, really!? That is such a shame!!!
Did u see it coming while smoking? Make sense. Breezy and breezier could feel quite different on your face but be the difference between hot and pipe destroying furnace I guess..
Shame.
I’ll make sure I never smoke a nice pipe (when I get around to buying one) our doors if windy at all.
Thanks for sharing!
Yes, it really happened, on the Oregon coast. But as I say, it was blowing a gale. Ironically, it was also raining. I probably started the bowl in the car before getting out on the beach. The pipe started putting out lots of smoke and when I looked there was a hot spot on the side of the bowl that was burning out, fanned by the wind. It was a nicer basket pipe, a panel, as I recall.

That was when I figured that sea captains probably didn't puff on pipes while steering a course through a typhoon.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Cool, thank you, that makes sense. And thank you again for sharing. Hopefully myself and others who read this can avoid such a sad demise for one of their pies.

?

Yes, it really happened, on the Oregon coast. But as I say, it was blowing a gale. Ironically, it was also raining. I probably started the bowl in the car before getting out on the beach. The pipe started putting out lots of smoke and when I looked there was a hot spot on the side of the bowl that was burning out, fanned by the wind. It was a nicer basket pipe, a panel, as I recall.

That was when I figured that sea captains probably didn't puff on pipes while steering a course through a typhoon.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I think they're great. I use them for all the purposes mentioned above, especially for prepacking pipes and carrying around half-smoked ones. Spent all afternoon today smoking cobs with windcaps - it was so blustery I wouldn't have been able to smoke without hunkering down if I hadn't had windcaps. I've never had one scratch a chamber. Just have to be a little careful.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
I think they're great. I use them for all the purposes mentioned above, especially for prepacking pipes and carrying around half-smoked ones. Spent all afternoon today smoking cobs with windcaps - it was so blustery I wouldn't have been able to smoke without hunkering down if I hadn't had windcaps. I've never had one scratch a chamber. Just have to be a little careful.

So the wind cap keeps the tobacco from falling out?

what do you use to light in the breezy weather?
I have been using matches since starting with pipes a month ago and just today went outside in a light wind and I just couldn’t keep the match lit..

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
That makes sense. I think I was struggling just to get the match to hold after the phosphorus (or whatever it is, has exported. Couldn’t even get it to the bowl. Just ducked inside the shed to re light and came back out to watch my brother teach his daughters how to change brake pads.
Will try this cup method when I get a lighter though. Thank you. :)

Cup the front of the bowl with your hand and face the wind.

View attachment 31638

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A standard wind cap is useless in high winds. Better place a flat piece of something over the chamber and press down. You can still draw just by releasing pressure, keeping your 'flue damper' in place.

Reactions: Buckler