PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Ha, that’s awesome!!!

what kind of objects have you used??
A standard wind cap is useless in high winds. Better place a flat piece of something over the chamber and press down. You can still draw just by releasing pressure, keeping your 'flue damper' in place.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I think they're great.
I think they're great. I use them for all the purposes mentioned above, especially for prepacking pipes and carrying around half-smoked ones. Spent all afternoon today smoking cobs with windcaps - it was so blustery I wouldn't have been able to smoke without hunkering down if I hadn't had windcaps. I've never had one scratch a chamber. Just have to be a little careful.
Spot on my brother! I use them primarily with my cobs on a blustery day...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Necessary? Not in my experience and I only smoke outdoors. Some of my vintage pipes have beautiful ornate sterling windcaps and I find that they mostly make the pipe smoke hotter. When I use one of those pipes I keep the cap flipped open.
found the same with the built in ones the little ones you can buy to attatch to any pipe not so much of an issue, no idea why that is.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
+1 for wind caps. I don’t mind the cheap prong ones. I don’t use it much but dug it out earlier this season bc it is quite breezy where we live and I smile outdoors. If I know it will be breezy I typically use a rougher cut tobacco from flake or plug. That helps a lot. The other thing I noticed about using the wind cap is that I fussed with the pipe much less in generally, which made the smoke that much more enjoyable.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
+1 for wind caps. I don’t mind the cheap prong ones. I don’t use it much but dug it out earlier this season bc it is quite breezy where we live and I smile outdoors. If I know it will be breezy I typically use a rougher cut tobacco from flake or plug. That helps a lot. The other thing I noticed about using the wind cap is that I fussed with the pipe much less in generally, which made the smoke that much more enjoyable.
One other thing - many old school Tyrolean pipes have caps built in bc it was a law in their area due to fires caused by flying embers.