PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
So, necessary? I follow Briarboyo on Insta and he seems to always be using one.
I have smoked 99% in a shed so no issues. When I went to check somthing outside it definitely burned more. Didn’t take any effort to keep the thing lit but the smoke didn’t get particularly hot.

If I plan to smoke out doors is it worth investing in one (Or more) of these??

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
That makes sense. Thank you.

Are there things to look for when buying one?? Holes per square inch .....

Theres a threshold where the wind is too great to smoke in. Ashes blow out, it runs too hot, and burns too fast. A windcap adds a few miles per hour to that threshold. It’s not magic or anything.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
I don’t like their shitty metal prongs sticking in my pipes. I’d get a pipe that has an integrated windcap or just not use one.

Do you have one of these? I haven't seen a wind cap in the flesh but understand about things rubbing the inside of the pipe.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Overall, no, because they are a pain to deal with in general, but I'm stubborn that way. About 6 years ago I nearly burned my bass boat up because ash was blown out onto the carpet...put a fist sized hole in the carpet. About 15 years ago I was out in my fields raking hay and started a fire in the field. Luckily I was using a tracter with turf tires on it (60" tires with little tread) and was able to run over it a few times and put it out. These probably wouldn't have happened if I was using a cap, but they are still a pain in the ass and I wouldn't use one.

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
They're really only good for keeping ashes out of your pocket.

Wait a second... it is POSSIBLE to keep ashes out of your pocket?

I thought that was like fountain pen ink stains on my fingers, tea stains on my tablecloth, and chalk dust on the cuffs of my tweed blazers, an immutable consequence of my lifestyle...

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I have one pipe with a built in cap. I use it when I'm on the tractor so the pipe doesn't smoke too hot and the ashes don't blow back on me. I also use it when I'm in the woods for fire safety reasons.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own any wind caps. I've thought of them, but never bought any. They might be good for keeping a packed unlit pipe in your pocket, or as chasing' says, stowing a pipe that has gone out, in your pocket. My strategy in wind, other than tricks for lighting up behind a wind block, is to pack a half or two-thirds bowl in a deep chamber that keeps the ember out of the wind. Too many accessories clutter and annoy me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't own any wind caps. I've thought of them, but never bought any. They might be good for keeping a packed unlit pipe in your pocket, or as chasing' says, stowing a pipe that has gone out, in your pocket. My strategy in wind, other than tricks for lighting up behind a wind block, is to pack a half or two-thirds bowl in a deep chamber that keeps the ember out of the wind. Too many accessories clutter and annoy me.
In wind, I just cup the front of the bowl with my hand and face the wind for lighting and smoking.