Will Pipe Smoking Ever be Mainstream Again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though I'm living proof of the negative aspects of smoking (mostly roll ups in my case) I would never condemn someone from smoking a pipe but I would never encourage starting either.

However, cigarettes I would strongly advise anyone from taking up that form of smoking....it is tobacco use in its worst form in my view.

Regards,

Jay.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Things tend to cycle. If we are near the nadir of tobacco acceptance now, maybe there will be some partial recovery in the future. People tend to smoke pipes in a more safety-conscious way now, which may help to facilitate this. A comparable example might be the increasing acceptance of hallucinogenic substances such as LSD and psylocibin-containing mushrooms, for therapeutic and recreational use.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Will the stereopticon ever come back and replace streaming services and the web? Well, maybe. It's interesting looking, and it shows you all the postcards in three-dimensions. Let's say, I wouldn't make a major investment in its prospects.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
stereopticon
I had to look this one up Tom!

DSCN0736.jpg

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I think it's possible, but it would only come about alongside cigars. The investment of a pipe is too much to become mainstream again (if you believe it ever was) on it's own.

I don't think it will die, however. Historically minded people are too good. They are skeptical of technological 'advancement', and as long as nicotine is consumed, folks will look back and say, "Why don't we do it that way anymore?"

It's a shame. I am a firm believer that most nicotine addicts don't truly enjoy tobacco; instead forsaking the leisure and artistry of the habit for convenience and compulsiveness.

Reactions: Ebarber

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I am a firm believer that most nicotine addicts don't truly enjoy tobacco
To each his own, I suppose.

Believe what you wish but, I've thoroughly enjoyed tobacco, in all it's forms for sixty years. And, I simply don't have time for leisure, life's too short. Leisure time for me is a few minutes of reading before falling asleep.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I was at the post office today, getting out of the CRV. A woman says, "Oh my, you remind me of my father." I turned around, an older woman is looking at me. She continues, "I just love his pipe and the way it smelled. I haven't seen a pipe smoker in years and years."

So, from that interaction, I'd say, pipe smoking has been out of view for a looooong time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am a firm believer that most nicotine addicts don't truly enjoy tobacco
To each his own, I suppose.

Believe what you wish but, I've thoroughly enjoyed tobacco, in all it's forms for sixty years. And, I simply don't have time for leisure, life's too short. Leisure time for me is a few minutes of reading before falling asleep.
Yep, thirty-one years of tobacco usage and have enjoyed all forms of it regularly.

20220329_200559.jpg

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I shouldn't be so pharisaical. I have also enjoyed all forms of tobacco. Pipes and cigars have been such an elevation of that experience. I probably take it too far.

Commercialization ruins everything, cigarettes and chaw are no exception. They are the victims. Let's all just hope it never happens with pipes and cigars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I shouldn't be so pharisaical. I have also enjoyed all forms of tobacco. Pipes and cigars have been such an elevation of that experience. I probably take it too far.

Commercialization ruins everything, cigarettes and chaw are no exception. They are the victims. Let's all just hope it never happens with pipes and cigars.
If anything, future bans of online sells will be the death of both.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If the world was made up of pipe smokers and tobacco chewers like myself outside of the invention of a time machine to get rid of people like me back to the 1850s I cannot see a great future. I guess I never got over spending that $20 Confederate bill from 1864 back in 1997 in Richmond VA and getting two beers!