Will Pipe Smoking Ever be Mainstream Again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Looking back at old pictures, movies, books, and cartoons, I'm often pleased to see a character with a pipe, or mention of pipe smoking. It seems like about 50 or 60 years ago, pipe smoking was just 'part of the furniture' as it were, nothing noteworthy or different.

Now, if we see a pipe smoker in a movie and it's not set in the past, it sticks out significantly.

Do you think it will ever come full circle?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm often pleased to see a character with a pipe, or mention of pipe smoking. It seems like about 50 or 60 years ago, pipe smoking was just 'part of the furniture' as it were, nothing noteworthy or different.
I drive past a building/company a few days a week that's been in business since the early 60's. This figure smoking a pipe is part of their logo still today.
logo-a92d21a6-243w (1).jpg
This pipe smoking figure is on their signs and their trucks. It's a family owned business that has no relation to smoking or tobacco. I hope they never change it.

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
No. I would argue that it never really was "mainstream."
I was looking at a photo of prob 150+ men working on the construction of the Biltmore estate ( took the tour). Looked like about 1/5 had a pipe. I don’t know that that implies mainstream but I think there was a lot of it at one time.
i don’t think any smoking will be mainstream again. That’s not all bad. I certainly smell more weed being smoked out and about that cigarettes or pipes/cigars.