Will Pipe Smoking Ever be Mainstream Again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
No it will not and it has never been. Not that I'm that old, but I only remember 2 pipe smokers in my almost 38 years. I've been in a crowded place the past weekend (amusement park) and I saw way more people vaping than smoking cigarettes, I think most smokers are or will switch(ed) to smokeless products.

Reactions: Ebarber and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the other hand, I see spotty revivals of pipe smoking over the years among circles of college student friends, maybe people in the military, or other groups in close contact who happen upon estate pipes or corncob pipes and get ahold of remaining blends, probably mostly codger blends. The forbidden aspect would give this appeal, along with the outsider mystique.

It's relatively simple to learn, if not learn expertly. It involves being together for an undemanding bonding activity. For some, the historical echo would have an appeal.

I think some groups of women might like breaking the female stereotypes to a small degree in this way.

I doubt pipe smoking will disappear altogether for many years, many decades. Snuff used to be an important upper class habit. Snuff boxes were expensive and beautifully crafted, sometimes of precious metals and bejeweled. Even snuff still has a small place in the social matrix.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I drive past a building/company a few days a week that's been in business since the early 60's. This figure smoking a pipe is part of their logo still today.
View attachment 136839
This pipe smoking figure is on their signs and their trucks. It's a family owned business that has no relation to smoking or tobacco. I hope they never change it.
I think here was a belief that pipe smoking was somehow honest and trustworthy, especially compared to cigar (rich man’s choice) and cigarettes (poor man’s choice).

The same thinking was behind Churchill chugging on cigars through the war and Harold Wilson smoking a pipe in public in the ‘60’s - he thought it made him seem dependable but not frivolous - whether it had the desired effect is open to political and historical debate.

There is something “honest” about pie tobacco though - if such a thing is possible?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think here was a belief that pipe smoking was somehow honest and trustworthy, especially compared to cigar (rich man’s choice) and cigarettes (poor man’s choice).

The same thinking was behind Churchill chugging on cigars through the war and Harold Wilson smoking a pipe in public in the ‘60’s - he thought it made him seem dependable but not frivolous - whether it had the desired effect is open to political and historical debate.

There is something “honest” about pie tobacco though - if such a thing is possible?
Stereotypes are never a good thing.

Screenshot_20220331-155311_Gallery.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah almost guaranteed. Along with snuff and snus. The rate of interest in this activity is increasing at a rate that is pretty indicative of a continuing upward trend. A bit more and it's the one hit wonder flavor of the week effect, a bit less and it's just a minor variation. But the steady slow increase that is currently happening is indicative of something penetrating into normalcy. One example of me predicting the same kind of thing was during the 90's predicting that Marijuana and the idea to legalize it being where it is now at this point (government moves slower then the population does on things like this.) Pretty much everything is primed towards it happening.
Heck even the general reaction of curiosity it often gets. Or even how often I see way more random people getting a kick out of seeing me when I have a pipe versus nothing or a cigar.
And despite the common notion that people don't think and are total sheep, people actually are some what observant and do notice things like how much better shape the pipe smokers are then the cigarette smokers of the same age and similar frequency of smoking.
Yeah going against the grain here and saying pipe smoking is steadily coming back. And wouldn't have gone anywhere if cigarettes never happened. They where so much more convenient but also so much more clearly a cause of disease and premature death. (look when I run into high school chums that still smoke cigs I can see it and hear it that they are still cig smokers, from their skin and it's premature aging and the sound of their breathing.)

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England

View attachment 137371
And didn’t Papa Josef smoke Dunhill’s Royal Yacht in his pipe?

Mind you I seem to remember reading somewhere that he rubbed the tobacco out of Dunhill cigarettes and crumbled that into his pipes so ?‍♂️ Who knows?

Is Stalin’s valet on here? Is he available for a comment?

Of course the chap in charge of the Germans at the same time as Stalin famously never smoked; if he had then world history might have been a little different. “Now gentlemen, let’s not be hasty with all of this talk about Poland. Pass me my pipe and I shall think about it for a while.”

One hour later - “It is a bad idea; let’s have a nice cup of tea and some more of those vegetarian canapés before we settle down to the full Ring Cycle…yes ‘again’ how very dare you! It might be 36 hours long but tv hasn’t been invented yet!!”

Obviously, I’m jesting. Heavy medication didn’t stop him so what would a pound of Condor have done for him?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

View attachment 137371
even in publishing? (stupid etymological joke).
Though honestly I believe the accounts that his pipe smoking was a literal smoke screen. That in public he smoked a pipe and in private smoked fancy imported cigs that where not legally sold to the proletariat. These accounts could be propaganda, but to my eye and mind they have a strong ring of truth. Kind of reminds me of that politician (I don't remember who or even what their platforms were) who adopted a dog during the elections and then gave it a shelter after winning. A pretty clear attempt at crafting an image.

Reactions: Piping Abe

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yes but don't tell anyone as there are still some die hard toadies that don't want the truth to come out. And Kevin doesn't need any more assassins (why do you think he prohibits political talk here?)
Obviously this a bad attempt at humor and if you take it seriously please talk to a qualified mental health professional.

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Mind you I seem to remember reading somewhere that he rubbed the tobacco out of Dunhill cigarettes and crumbled that into his pipes so ?‍♂️ Who knows?

Of course the chap in charge of the Germans at the same time as Stalin famously never smoked; if he had then world history might have been a little different. “Now gentlemen, let’s not be hasty with all of this talk about Poland. Pass me my pipe and I shall think about it for a while.”

One hour later - “It is a bad idea; let’s have a nice cup of tea and some more of those vegetarian canapés before we settle down to the full Ring Cycle…yes ‘again’ how very dare you! It might be 36 hours long but tv hasn’t been invented yet!!”

Obviously, I’m jesting. Heavy medication didn’t stop him so what would a pound of Condor have done for him?
Just pointing out that anyone can be any type if tobacco user.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Books and Hollywood have formed opinions through out the years. Just reading some of the posts here proves many smokers picked up the "leaf" because of an image they wished to project. But, yes, stereotyping and writing in broad generalities leave one open to quick ripostes. Well, earned because of the laziness shown in such statements, I might add.

The broad spectrum of opinions posted here should quickly show everyone that our membership consists of the normal range of human frailties and strengths in, most likely, the same percentages found in any cross-section.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
In my life I have only ever seen one other person smoking a pipe, and it was in Soho about 18months ago, and he was in his 20s. A bit like anotherbob, I kind of suspect that there is a small but silent uptake in pipe smoking.

The reason that Germany is about the only smoking tolerant country left is because the Nazi's were the first to do a public ban, and there is a bit of a taboo about doing anything the Nazis did.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
additionally it seems that epicurean out looks on food are so much more common then before. Which seems like the proper environment for pipes to make a solid come back. And again I've never had so many people ask me questions about getting started on pipes then I've ever had at any other period.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
My hypothesis is that the number of pipe smokers as a percentage of all smokers has not changed too much. Growing up 50 years ago cigarette smokers were everywhere, including both of my parents. Back then a pipe smoker was a rare sighting except for the sophisticates portrayed in movies and TV at the time. I can't remember a pipe smoker from my pre-college years, all the smokers I knew used cigarettes. That is partially why I took up pipe smoking -- I wanted to do something different.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Let me be the iconoclast. I'm watching a whole new generation get into cigars after a lull between the 90s and about 10 years ago. I think it's only a matter of time before more people pick up the pipe. I don't know that we'll ever be where we were a hundred years ago, but a girl can dream.

Reactions: Piping Abe

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.

If memory serves, I think Churchill sent Stalin British made pipes (Dunhill?) and British produced pipe tobacco.

Regards,

Jay.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA

I think pipe smoking had more of a ‘contemplative’ image. More so than the ‘trustworthy’ image. But that’s just a guess