Will Cigar Bugs be in some Pipe Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
The good or bad seals can cause cigar bugs to grow in the cigar and affect the taste, but will Pipe Tobacco have similar bugs?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Oh yum. What would cigar bugs taste like if smoked? I'm not interested enough to try one, but would like to hear about it if anyone else has. Since they live in tobacco and eat it, it seems they might taste somewhat like ... tobacco?
Nothing but they have a nice little crackle and pop!

I don't know about pipe tobacco but main stream cigars (even cubans now) are frozen before distribution, freezing the leaf kills the eggs, for anyone that are buying up the current market of farm rolled cubans it's worth noting those aren't frozen and you should toss them in the freezer for 24 hours if you plan on storing them with your regular sticks. Don't know if it belongs here but it is tobacco beetle info.

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
Nothing but they have a nice little crackle and pop!

I don't know about pipe tobacco but main stream cigars (even cubans now) are frozen before distribution, freezing the leaf kills the eggs, for anyone that are buying up the current market of farm rolled cubans it's worth noting those aren't frozen and you should toss them in the freezer for 24 hours if you plan on storing them with your regular sticks. Don't know if it belongs here but it is tobacco beetle info.
Does freezing affect the taste of tobacco?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Not that I’ve noticed. Unless you light up a stick that’s frozen…?

I would think that since most tobacco is flue cured or cured with heat, smoke etc. that would kill any beetles, eggs. Whereas cigar tobacco is cured by being stacked in piles and taken apart and restacked.

I be received cigars in the mail in the dead of winter where temps were down to -15F, and as long as the boxes are left to acclimate to indoor temps slowly I’ve noticed no problems.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had an issue with some freshly rolled Habanos once.

48 hours in the freezer, then slowly thawed in the fridge got rid of them.
The beetles hatch from eggs that are laid on the leaf.

Tobacco leaf for cigars are minimally processed compared to pipe or cigarette tobacco, which allow the eggs to survive.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Nope! There are many threads out there, everyone with a different way of doing it, but over the couple decades i've been smoking my experience and that of friends are just throw then in the freezer for 24 hours and then in the fridge for 24 hours and take them out, a lot of my friends don't even bother with the fridge step. No change in cigar flavors.

Reactions: chopper and ykw5264

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
Nope! There are many threads out there, everyone with a different way of doing it, but over the couple decades i've been smoking my experience and that of friends are just throw then in the freezer for 24 hours and then in the fridge for 24 hours and take them out, a lot of my friends don't even bother with the fridge step. No change in cigar flavors.
Thanks!

Reactions: anotherbob