Why Transfer From Round Tin to Mason Jar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Your standard round tobacco tin (left) has a rubber seal that is nearly identical to that of a mason jar's lid (right). When tightened, it seems like the seal on the tin is pretty decent; even to the point of being difficult to open the dang tin!

For pouches or other kinds of tins, transferring to a mason jar for longer term storage is a no-brainer. But my cupboard full of mason jars isn't nearly as aesthetically pleasing as all the lovely tin artwork out there, and I'm wondering if this is even necessary in these cases.

Could someone explain to me exactly why (or if) the seal on the mason jar is superior?

Lidz.jpg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
To my knowledge, a mason jar seal is airtight, whereas once a tin is cracked, its seal is not airtight, no matter how tightly you try to close it. Like you, I prefer the sealed round tins the most, for both aesthetic and spatial efficiency reasons. The only reason I have jars (about 40 in all, half 16 oz., half 8 oz.) is for tins I open, bulk, and pouches. Square/rectangular tins sometimes have faulty seals, but mylar storage is the best solution to that issue.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't open tins too often. Only keep around 10 mason jars. So doesn't really make difference to me. What gets opened goes into mason jar.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
A question I have on Ball jars:

Do you ever have to replace the lids on jars you open and close regularly? If so, how often?
I switchEd all my red rubber ones to silicone, think they will last a lot longer?
6EF680B4-6F3C-4E71-8533-8840046B6760.jpeg
Of course I was thinking of these ball jars.
3C466212-E04A-4685-B573-1E01416646E8.jpeg

Reactions: eljimmy

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I don't transfer tobacco from unopened tins to mason jars, haven't had a failure yet. Once opened I'll continue to use the tin as long as I'm actively smoking the blend, at this point the tin is not air tight and that's okay as it helps with drying. If I decide that I won't smoke the contents of an opened tin relatively quickly then I'll transfer the contents of the tin to a mason jar for longer term storage. I limit myself to 2-3 blends I'm actively smoking at a time.

I use the bale type glass jars for tobacco I'm actively smoking that came from a mylar bag or bulk package.

Mason jars and lids, once emptied go to the dishwasher for cleaning. I can't recall ever throwing away a lid. I use the dissolvable labels on my jars to annotate the contents, they dissolve with a little water and dish soap.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
See re-edit of my post for clarification, I use the hinged jars also and those seals(red ones) dry up?
I’m always looking for new seals for both my hinged jars and the old ceramic or stoneware humidor jars I’ve collected.

Reactions: Bengel

ykw5264

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
D.C.
I store opened tobacco in mason jars in a dry, dark place. And externally bound with polyethylene film. I don't know if I can put a desiccant pack in the pot for better preservation.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have no issue opening a tin and keeping the tobacco in it for 3 to 6 months. If I need to store it longer than that, I'd transfer it to a zip lock mylar bag. If I lived in a desert type environment, I might need to revise that.

I think most people don't realize how dry tobacco can get and still be good if not ideal. I'm smoking some Capstan Gold Flake right now that's been open around 2 months. The Flakes are quite crunchy at this point. It is smoking perfectly.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I don't transfer tobacco from unopened tins to mason jars, haven't had a failure yet. Once opened I'll continue to use the tin as long as I'm actively smoking the blend, at this point the tin is not air tight and that's okay as it helps with drying. If I decide that I won't smoke the contents of an opened tin relatively quickly then I'll transfer the contents of the tin to a mason jar for longer term storage. I limit myself to 2-3 blends I'm actively smoking at a time.

I use the bale type glass jars for tobacco I'm actively smoking that came from a mylar bag or bulk package.

Mason jars and lids, once emptied go to the dishwasher for cleaning. I can't recall ever throwing away a lid. I use the dissolvable labels on my jars to annotate the contents, they dissolve with a little water and dish soap.
Same here. I typically don't have more than one or two tins opened at a time and just smoke them until gone.

I've already got lots of bulk blends jarred...I don't even want to think about jarring all of the tins.

Reactions: Servant King