PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I've been smoking Peterson exclusively for last 5 years. Most members know this already. But only one member asked why. Not that it's very important, but I had some rum in me tonight and I'm bored.

First and for most the shapes. Nothing really special. Just every men's trad shape with just touch of emphasis on masculinity. Thicker shank, wider bowl.. Of course, there are some influence from continental pipes, but I'm happy to ignore them to

Secondly in price point. Under US$100 to wherever. The fact you can get well made pipe for US$90 with history behind it, I think is cool.

Third, but most importantly, smokability. Never had Peterson that smokes like a shit.

Not saying anything about other brands, but I never felt any reason to smoke other brands. From cheapest to near US$400, they all met my need and want with beauty of their shape and way they smoke.
Never knew that you smoked them exclusively - but then I haven't been around the room long.
I just got my first one - an Irish Made 120.
Was attracted to the Petersons for a few reasons: it being Irish, the tradition,(including of the Army Mount,) and what seems to be...how can I say it,...a workingman's aesthetic or following...or maybe tradition. I think you get the idea.
So far, mine's been a great smoker. My collection is around 11 or 12 pipes - right now it's one I really enjoy smoking. I have my eyes on their zulus as well

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I guess I’m odd man out here. I’ve owned a dozen or so Pete’s, all new but my current one. I find they don’t smoke well for me. They smoke very wet, a problem I don’t have with any other brand I have and the air flow is somehow strange to me. I love their looks, their history and their shapes but for me, they don’t work. Congrats if they work for you.
This has absolutely been my experience with Petes… but I figured it was just user error. To be clear, my experience was significant enough to dissuade me from further Pete purchases unless I come across a steal that warrants giving them another try.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
That's one sore subject for me and Savinelli and really any pipe maker. I saw Sav had their new line of pipes, and they all have weird colored stems. Big turn off for me. Even their Meile line with the gold stems is too far out for me. Red stems on my meers is ok, but I only want black on my briars.
Exactly. I know it’s a matter of personal preference and I get a kick out of folks who love their colored stems, but for me it’s a major turn off as well. I’ve actually had all of my Meer stems replaced with black acrylic…

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I’ve had several Pete’s over the past decade or more and with a couple of exceptions either traded or sold them because I didn’t like the way they smoked. I kept a Kapp-Royal made for IRC because the shank had a beaded ring that it shouldn’t have had. I have a Peterson Fermoy my wife bought me as a Birthday present that I occasionally smoke.
But this Christmas, she gave me a Sherlock Holmes Original and it has changed my opinion of Pete’s. Not sure if I like the P-lip stem, but it has become one of my weekly rotation pipes.
Would love to have this experience with a Pete one day. I’m certainly open to it!

Reactions: bullet08

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Wonderful shapes from a brand with tremendous history, made by eccentric craftsmen who are probably a nightmare to manage and clearly have better days and worse days. That sums up my experience with Peterson over the past 25 years or so. Yes, I'm a fan.

View attachment 197495
This was one of the Petes I sold because I couldn’t get a dry smoke out of it (again, could be user error alone). I loved its aesthetic, though. This a beautiful pipe.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
A lot of P-lip distaste on this thread, and that's fine. I love mine. I decided that I'll only buy a Peterson with a P-lip since I can get a fishtail everywhere else.

So now I have a Savinelli. And another Savinelli. And a Vauen...
Two of my three Petes are P-Lip. I wasn't sure about that style of stem at first but with the SH Original, I'm beginning to like them. My main reservation had nothing to do with actually smoking a P-Lip but the fact I couldn't get a pipe cleaner through the stem. Then I learned to take the stem off the pipe and run it from the mortise end to the bit.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Do you think the quality has went down since they took over?
I don't buy enough Peterson's to comment on their overall quality. Sure seems like the sandblasts have become more prominent and better quality.
I can remember reading an article after Laudisi took over that said they'd be focusing efforts on raising the attention to detail of pipes. I believe Giacomo Penzo was tasked with making some improvements.

Old Film Guy

Lurker
Dec 17, 2022
I have only recently come into both the Pipes Magazine and the Peterson fold, though I have been smoking pipes off and on for over 40 yrs.
My two Petersons are an Irish Harp Sandblasted (80s) Fishtail and a System Standard Rusticated (XL315) Fishtail. Too soon to say how well I like them as I am still breaking them in, but their designs certainly make me happy, and their historicity attracts me as well. So far so good. Cheers!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Speaking of which, I heard a story over the weekend regarding Peterson/Laudisi.

Customer bought an Irish Harp series pipe from a local B&M. After a week or so he brought it back to the shop complaining that the finish was wearing off on his hands while smoking. It persisted after multiple smokes so he wanted to exchange it.
Seems like a reasonable request.

The salesman representing Laudisi denied a return or exchange. After being pressed, this salesman then offered a replacement for a 25% fee.

I think it took going over the salesman's head to get the replacement finally.

Not the only story I've heard about doing business with Arango or Laudisi, just the most recent.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
A lot of P-lip distaste on this thread, and that's fine. I love mine. I decided that I'll only buy a Peterson with a P-lip since I can get a fishtail everywhere else.

So now I have a Savinelli. And another Savinelli. And a Vauen...
I don't hate the p-lip, but I do prefer a more classically styled button. I like having rubber bits on my stems, and they are kind of a pain in the ass to get on a p-lip, especially the smaller ones. But I don't clench much anyway, so it's not a major deterrent for me. But I get why they aren't always well-liked. The mounts and moisture reservoir are just fine and dandy, IMO.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Speaking of which, I heard a story over the weekend regarding Peterson/Laudisi.

Customer bought an Irish Harp series pipe from a local B&M. After a week or so he brought it back to the shop complaining that the finish was wearing off on his hands while smoking. It persisted after multiple smokes so he wanted to exchange it.
Seems like a reasonable request.

The salesman representing Laudisi denied a return or exchange. After being pressed, this salesman then offered a replacement for a 25% fee.

I think it took going over the salesman's head to get the replacement finally.

Not the only story I've heard about doing business with Arango or Laudisi, just the most recent.
Ive had 8 Petersons and still have 7. Only stain issue ive had was red stain inside the bowl of my Arklow Bulldog.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
My first Pete was my daughters birth year Christmas pipe smokes great, after that my local B&M had the entire Sherlock Holmes collection with gold bands and original Sherlock Holmes series pipe stand with the names of each pipe in brass. I had to have it. I was gonna make an offer and went in and he had sold them all to another collector who had been calling B&Ms all across America till he found it. Except he didn't take the stand just the pipes. So I bought the stand and am currently trying to complete the collection but in a unique way as in gold spigot or gold banded. Havnt found any in my price range. But my wife bought me this from the Return of Sherlock Holmes series which is a perfect start to that collection and how I want to complete it.

Attachments

• 20220505_164941.jpg
    20220505_164941.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221231_170148.jpg
    20221231_170148.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
My first Pete was my daughters birth year Christmas pipe smokes great, after that my local B&M had the entire Sherlock Holmes collection with gold bands and original Sherlock Holmes series pipe stand with the names of each pipe in brass. I had to have it. I was gonna make an offer and went in and he had sold them all to another collector who had been calling B&Ms all across America till he found it. Except he didn't take the stand just the pipes. So I bought the stand and am currently trying to complete the collection but in a unique way as in gold spigot or gold banded. Havnt found any in my price range. But my wife bought me this from the Return of Sherlock Holmes series which is a perfect start to that collection and how I want to complete it.
Very nice.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I bought my first Peterson in 1988, because the guy who got me into pipes had one, so it was a goal of mine to move up from drugstore pipes to a bent, smooth Pete like my smoking mentor had. Maybe such nostalgia is why my favorite pipe design is still a smooth bent Peterson with a silver ferrule and a black p-lip stem.

Another reason I like Petes - they have a long history with a plethora of traditional shapes to choose from. I have had an antique collectibles business for about twenty years, so Peterson also fits well with my collecting and my business - over fifty of my Petersons are pre-WWII.

If I didn't think they smoked great, I wouldn't acquire them. Every now and then I get a bad one (rarely with the old ones) and I simply get rid of it. But most of the poor smokers I've had were NOT Petersons.

Having said all that, I also love Castellos, Dunhills and pipes by quite a few artisans. And there are many factory pipes that I think are mostly crap, but I won't name names - why antagonize people who are happy with what they're smoking? We're all friends here, right?