PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you went a little further down the road to Mile End there was piece of political graffiti on the wall by the Underground Station that said 'Mosley or Slump' with the fascist lighting flash in a circle symbol that was a reference to the pre war fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley. Under the slogan someone had painted 'Slump Please!' which I thought was pretty funny.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
If you went a little further down the road to Mile End there was piece of political graffiti on the wall by the Underground Station that said 'Mosley or Slump' with the fascist lighting flash in a circle symbol that was a reference to the pre war fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley. Under the slogan someone had painted 'Slump Please!' which I thought was pretty funny.
That's not a long way from Cable St where the 'Battle of Cable St' when Mosley and his supporters tried to march through a Jewish and Irish neighbourhood but were repelled... ...this mural commemorates it (I used to live about a 4 minute walk from this spot!):

Cable_St_01.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
That's not a long way from Cable St where the 'Battle of Cable St' when Mosley and his supporters tried to march through a Jewish and Irish neighbourhood but were repelled... ...this mural commemorates it (I used to live about a 4 minute walk from this spot!):

View attachment 41153
That’s pretty neat. The mural that is. Sadly I have to concede that my introduction to this facet of English history only came recently, after watching Peaky Blinders, of all things, in which Mosley is featured in season 5. I didn’t even know he was a real person until I looked him up after watching the show. If I had a dunce cap, I’d put it on now. ?‍♂️

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I met Mosley in the flesh. He died in 1980 in France. I had an Uncle who was into all things 'foreign' as the Father would say who was an ardent follower of his before WW2 and used to go to the reunions in the late 1970s and I was dragged along as a young un. Mosley was a big fellow with very piecing eyes who seemed to be treated like a god by all the old guys who would turn up at these get togethers usually at some hotel in Victoria London.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I met Mosley in the flesh. He died in 1980 in France. I had an Uncle who was into all things 'foreign' as the Father would say who was an ardent follower of his before WW2 and used to go to the reunions in the late 1970s and I was dragged along as a young un. Mosley was a big fellow with very piecing eyes who seemed to be treated like a god by all the old guys who would turn up at these get togethers usually at some hotel in Victoria London.
Apparently one of his weddings took place at herr Goebbels' house in Berlin with the attendance of local dignitaries, including Hitler.

Reactions: BROBS

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
As for a link between the Bells of Glasgow and those you found at the hotel in London, I'm not sure. IF there is one I haven't found it, and it must go back very far indeed.
I wonder, then, the source of inspiration for the name. I thought the coincidence a little glaring: a Bell, proprietor of the Three Nuns Inn. I have a feeling this information may never have made it to paper.

Reactions: BROBS
Jun 9, 2018
England

I saw a TV mini series about Mosley, it was pretty good, he was an interesting character. Not my cup of tea politically speaking, but his life was certainly eventful.

His son is Max Mosley. The guy who used to help run Formula 1 with Bernie Eccleston. I remember the papers did a story on him having an orgy with prostitutes dressed up in Nazi gear?. I'm sure his old man would've approved.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I wonder, then, the source of inspiration for the name. I thought the coincidence a little glaring: a Bell, proprietor of the Three Nuns Inn. I have a feeling this information may never have made it to paper.

Good question. If the name did somehow arise from the hotel it might be for another reason entirely. Or the whole idea could be wrong.

I did say it was a dim recollection. I could have said that a link between the hotel and the tobacco rang a Bell. <rim shot>