Why Don't People Indicate their Location on their Profile?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
And you just proved my point. Rando vs good and interesting people?
Fear should not be our operative emotion. "Trust but verify"
You have to always keep in mind: members are only a fraction of the people and bots that read/record these pages.

Do I have an issue with YOU knowing where I live? No.

Do I have an issue with web crawlers mining that data? Absolutely.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
This subject has prompted impassioned opinions on both sides in the past. I get it. Some have been victimized tragically and some have had no issues. I fully understand the range of opinions.
My point here is that while fear is a survival instinct built into us as humans, it can't become our operative response to everything. That is what is happening to modern societies today via the media.
Too many opinions here are knee jerk and not often prescriptions for the long haul.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
You have to always keep in mind: members are only a fraction of the people and bots that read/record these pages.

Do I have an issue with YOU knowing where I live? No.

Do I have an issue with web crawlers mining that data? Absolutely.
I suggest you cancel your membership and hunker down to a boring isolated existence. And you are one of the people I enjoy here!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I suggest you cancel your membership and hunker down to a boring isolated existence. And you are one of the people I enjoy here!
I will eventually have to do that, based on how things are devolving. For the time being, I'll make the best of the little time I have left online and browse like walking on thin ice in order to extend that time as much as possible.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019

I suggest you try a site called Facebook if you feel so entitled to user’s personal information.

This is a pipe forum... in case you were mistaken.

• Sad
Reactions: BROBS and edger

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I find this both disrespectful and weird. Maybe they assume all pipe smokers are stalkers? I try not to think about it too long like many irrational human behaviors but I still wonder...

Have you ever been woken up because your dog treed someone and is barking his head off? Then when you go outside, you find BROBs trapped up there wearing nothing but a speedo and sneakers, with margarine smeared over his body? Well I have mister and it's not a pretty site. (Seriously, I don't know what he was thinking by smearing margarine all over himself. Did he think it would make him more stealthy? It did make him harder to catch. When the police showed up, they couldn't get a good grasp on him and that boy can run like lightening.) So I don't want my exact location in my sig or profile.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Unfortunately these days collecting, storing and selling all kind of personal data has become something normal. Hope next silly ads will include some new pipes or tobacco, I'd love to bite on that. ? Until then I prefer to be incognito.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and edger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
If you don't trust you don't have to spend time verifying. I understand some think everyone should do as they say. Every one has a different comfort level and to expect the membership to all comply with another member's request simply flies in the face of human nature. But, those requests help to make this site soooooo entertaining.rotf
Come on, @warren. No one is attempting to coerce anyone. All I'm saying is that "location" can be stated very generally in your profile and can enhance the forum. Don't if you don't want to!
Opinionated contrarianism seems to plague pipe smokers. Why is that?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
It's a personal preference. Why attach a judgement to it?

We've have all kinds of people on this forum, including white supremacists, avowed Neo-Nazis, paranoid schizophrenics, pedophiles, etc. And then there are the really warped ones...
Have you identified these reprobates? Or are you just proving my point? Most people are good, and that includes most forum members. So shoot me for positing that. I choose to meet these people here and to benefit from their offerings. Knowing where they are from informs me and enhances these relationships.
We have nothing to fear but fear itself, to quote one of my least favorite American statesmen.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I suggest you try a site called Facebook if you feel so entitled to user’s personal information.

That "trust but verify" saying was used by Reagan and Gorbachev when they had their famous summit meetings to discuss nuclear arms reduction. I saw it in a documentary.

And that's how I learn?
Some here would employ nuclear weapons to stop others from having opinions.

• Sad
Reactions: anantaandroscoggin

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Have you identified these reprobates? Or are you just proving my point? Most people are good, and that includes most forum members. So shoot me for positing that. I choose to meet these people here and to benefit from their offerings. Knowing where they are from informs me and enhances these relationships.
We have nothing to fear but fear itself, to quote one of my least favorite American statesmen.
Do I know who some of these people were? Sure. I took a leave of absence for a year or so because I refused to associate with Neo-Nazis.

Most people are a mixture, some people are good, some people are bad, a few are saints or are truly evil.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Obviously, if you put your real name and street address in, you make it easy for some nut to find you.
^^^^This!

You shouldn't be that specific with what you enter. That being said it's nice to have a general idea of what region someone is from when they make references and whatnot in their posts. There are plenty of blends discussed that aren't available everywhere and price can vary wildly as well. Knowing what country, state, metropolitan area, or geographic region someone is from can provide a lot of context.

I'll use myself as an example:

I live in Las Vegas. A metropolitan area with a population of about 2.8 million people plus another half to one million visitors at any given time.

If I talk about tobacco dry time people can now know it's going to be different for me since I live where it's hot and the humidity is usually single digit (it's 4% and 97 fahrenheit today) and it rarely goes above 20%.

Given the population I still have plenty of anonymity but context can still be taken. It would, however, be silly to put my street address.

In the end do whatever you're comfortable with. To me it's not an important issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.