Why Don't People Indicate their Location on their Profile?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Do I know who some of these people were? Sure. I took a leave of absence for a year or so because I refused to associate with Neo-Nazis.

Most people are a mixture, some people are good, some people are bad, a few are saints or are truly evil.
And posters spew a load of shit simply because they are anonymous. These are often the people who made random obnoxious phone calls when Mommie wasn't home. A cheap thrill from an infantilized adult.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And posters spew a load of shit simply because they are anonymous. These are often the people who made random obnoxious phone calls when Mommie wasn't home. A cheap thrill from an infantilized adult.
Social media is rife with verbal violence. It's more like asocial media.
People make their own decisions regarding what they want to reveal.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
^^^^This!

You shouldn't be that specific with what you enter. That being said it's nice to have a general idea of what region someone is from when they make references and whatnot in their posts. There are plenty of blends discussed that aren't available everywhere and price can vary wildly as well. Knowing what country, state, metropolitan area, or geographic region someone is from can provide a lot of context.

I'll use myself as an example:

I live in Las Vegas. A metropolitan area with a population of about 2.8 million people plus another half to one million visitors at any given time.

If I talk about tobacco dry time people can now know it's going to be different for me since I live where it's hot and the humidity is usually single digit (it's 4% and 97 fahrenheit today) and it rarely goes above 20%.

Given the population I still have plenty of anonymity but context can still be taken. It would, however, be silly to put my street address.

In the end do whatever you're comfortable with. To me it's not an important issue.
Finally, some rational thinking. Thanks.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and shanez

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Have you ever been woken up because your dog treed someone and is barking his head off? Then when you go outside, you find BROBs trapped up there wearing nothing but a speedo and sneakers, with margarine smeared over his body? Well I have mister and it's not a pretty site. (Seriously, I don't know what he was thinking by smearing margarine all over himself. Did he think it would make him more stealthy? It did make him harder to catch. When the police showed up, they couldn't get a good grasp on him and that boy can run like lightening.) So I don't want my exact location in my sig or profile.
But it's too late. BROBS already knows where you live!

Aug 1, 2012
If any one thinks putting his location in this forum gives something away, they have a bit more to learn about the internet. (Obviously, if you put your real name and street address in, you make it easy for some nut to find you.)

Someone is policing you? Please PM me with the name.

Location is one thing in the Profile that's public info, and visible in one's handle.
And there are ample reasons to include it, and only paranoia to exclude it. Or just being contrarian!
To your first point, some of us live in small population areas and the location plus name can give some extra clues as to where to get more information about you. Some of us were the only person in the country with that name.

As to the policing, it was more meant like the grammar police. The OP reads like a grammar police comment.

On a personal note, I appreciate your approach to this topic (like many). You ask in a respectful way that we add our info once. After that, you leave it be.

While I have personal reasons that I have elaborated on a few times for not adding my location, others may like to and both are viable positions to take. Some get a little wound up about it and honestly, they are usually on the share more info side...which makes a guy in a job like mine even more suspicious.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Give me 20 minutes and I am positive I can not only identify anyone who who posts here often, but in 35 minutes I’ll call you on your phone with the information. The amount of bread crumbs left by posts and pictures is more than sufficient.
So are IP addresses. Unless people use a good VPN just being on the interwebs provides a lot of info.

Aug 1, 2012
Give me 20 minutes and I am positive I can not only identify anyone who who posts here often, but in 35 minutes I’ll call you on your phone with the information. The amount of bread crumbs left by posts and pictures is more than sufficient.
So your agument for " share as much information as possible" is?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Thanks! I rest my case.
As an aside, why is it that so many members insist on answering a question that was never asked? Critical reading skills seem to be on the decline. They read the post, misunderstand it, and then pontificate on some tangential issue that misses the point.
Help me out here,@telescopes. You're the teacher.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks! I rest my case.
As an aside, why is it that so many members insist on answering a question that was never asked? Critical reading skills seem to be on the decline. They read the post, misunderstand it, and then pontificate on some tangential issue that misses the point.
Help me out here,@telescopes. You're the teacher.
Alright, tell me precisely why it is disrespectful to not tell you something personal about myself. Tell me precisely what I have written to say that pipe smokers are stalkers. Or are your reading skills suffering?

• Sad
Reactions: edger
Status
Not open for further replies.