Why Don't People Indicate their Location on their Profile?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I find this both disrespectful and weird. Maybe they assume all pipe smokers are stalkers? I try not to think about it too long like many irrational human behaviors but I still wonder...
Yeah! I like to contextualize members by their location. I learn stuff sometimes that is only tangentially related to pipe smoking.
After all, you needn’t broadcast your street address, just your country or state.
I think most members would find this practice informative.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Why are we always so determined to diminish the quality of our lives by indulging in our paranoia? We are all exposed constantly by technology. That is going to continue no matter what we do. If we do nothing but cave to it, the quality of our lives, and our isolation will kill us “softly”.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Why are we always so determined to diminish the quality of our lives by indulging in our paranoia? We are all exposed constantly by technology. That is going to continue no matter what we do. If we do nothing but cave to it, the quality of our lives, and our isolation will kill us “softly”.
You sound like someone who doesn’t lock their front door.

Personally I don’t feel the quality of my life is diminished by preventing a bunch of internet randos from knowing where I live.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find this both disrespectful and weird. Maybe they assume all pipe smokers are stalkers? I try not to think about it too long like many irrational human behaviors but I still wonder...
honestly I talk about it enough and feel open enough about it. I don't feel like every random yahoo that looks at forums online to know it. Why make it so easy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Location is helpful when a poster is bitching about costs, shipping, and such. Other than that, everyone has different levels of comfort with respect to the release of personal information. Why trust a bunch of people you don't know. I only know what a member wants me to know and I have no idea as to the veracity of such information unless I have met the individual face to face and spent a bit of time with them. Or, I could doan in depth search but, really, do I care enough to expend the time, moneys, and effort? Hardly!

It's the internet folks where the "reality" is, in reality, only what we want it to be. I can't blame or fault those who, to some, appear overly protective of personal information.

Reactions: fireground_piper

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If any one thinks putting his location in this forum gives something away, they have a bit more to learn about the internet. (Obviously, if you put your real name and street address in, you make it easy for some nut to find you.)
You sound like someone who doesn’t lock their front door.

Personally I don’t feel the quality of my life is diminished by preventing a bunch of internet randos from knowing where I live.
I find it disrespectful and weird that someone feels the need to police what information I have in my profile.
Someone is policing you? Please PM me with the name.

Location is one thing in the Profile that's public info, and visible in one's handle.
And there are ample reasons to include it, and only paranoia to exclude it. Or just being contrarian!

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Due to my line of work, before I retired I avoided any social media as I was involved in a lot of forensic work and the last thing I needed was a bunch of lawyers googling me.

I never got involved with Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin. I was on Faceboo, but dropped it last fall although there were a couple of sites I enjoyed.

Ironically the first person to friend me on Facebook was my high school girlfriend.

Confession, my real name is not Zack Miller. That’s my nom de plume. .

Status
Not open for further replies.