Why Doesn't GLP Jack Knife Plug & RR Get More Love?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I haven't smoked any of mine in well over a year. Threw some in to take to FL with me, what was left over in the last RR tin in a mylar bag. Have smoked two bowls since arriving, this is really good tobacco. Rich, sweet red Virginia flavors complimented nicely by the spicy DFK. There may be a hint of perique in this blend but it is purely complimentary to my taste. Plenty of strength and body but not overwhelming at all.

Don't see this blend mentioned often, not sure why. I'll definitely be smoking this more regularly.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I've avoided trying it because I definitely have a DFK threshold. That being said, some of my favorite blends have DFK, so apparently I like it a lot up to that limit.

@Hoosier: how would compare the proportion of DFK in Jack Knife to something like Hal o' the Wynd?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Jkp is a stout and full bodied blend. I smoke it occasionally and it never fails to impress me. As it ages the Virginia sweetens up nicely, and when I smoke it I always want to buy more, until I remember I only smoke it occasionally ? dfk being a little harsh and brash at times

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
JKP fan here.

I've only had a couple tins of it. The first was fresher and had some of that ketchup/savory/bbq smell. The 2nd had a little age on it, and that quality was pretty much gone. I liked the fresher a little more.

Anybody else get that?

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Have a couple tins that I've never opened yet. Gotta get some open tins finished up. I'm sure I'll like it. Honestly I like mostly every natural tobacco I've ever smoked. Aromatics....not all of them. Very few actually

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Just had a bowl for the first time in a few months and was thinking the same thing myself.

Last tin of the plug I opened had mold issues and the tin before that grew mold after being jarred for a few weeks, after that I switched to the Ready Rubbed.

The only reason I revisited it this evening was the discovery of a dusty jar of the plug version from a few years ago I put in an odd spot in my living room. Excellent tobacco, but the Pease and C&D plugs are a little "loose" and can start to flake apart from my experiences.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I'm not a fan of burley tobaccos. I am a pure VA guy, but I like Kentucky on occasion. So, I apparently have a bias toward Pure Virginia. I enjoyed The virginas, but The Kentucky is the star here and I believe that was the intention of the blender. A good blend, but not for me, The Kentucky tends to take the lead, and being a Virginia guy, I tried my best to sip, but the Kentucky took me for a ride. A good blend, just a very changeling Blend for a guy that smokes va all-day. I , when sipped, get more sweetness out of this blend, not sure why! More for the deep, dark flavored guys among us.

Status
Not open for further replies.