Why Doesn't GLP Jack Knife Plug & RR Get More Love?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I would split them up if the production date is less than a year and you think you might try it soon. That way you can dip into one without disturbing the aging of the other 3.
It’s a 2020 tin. I’m not gonna be touching it for atleast 10 years. Just handy storing as is, however could easily jar it up instead if that’s to general consensus

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Kinda feel like GLP blends have lost the thrill factor for a lot of their original audience. They're easily obtainable and always there and Pease doesn't frequently go for the marketing gimmicks and special blends that generate surges of excitement. Plus he's absent from pipe forums, doesn't go on podcast shows, or self promote the way he once did. These days he barely even keeps his web site current. One gets the impression that Pease is a one man show who's gotten bored with the act. Many of his blends are superb but even greatness needs someone to promote it online in today's market.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
So, open a tin of Jack Knife Plug today. It's about 2 years old. The tin was bulging with gas. Nice hiss with opening. Didn't slice it too well. One side wasn't straight and a slice was little too wide. Rubbed it out and pack the pipe, but some of the tobacco didn't like the chamber. With heater on the house now days, dried pretty well within 20 min. Took the fire rather well with only one relight. Noticed some sort of flower. Rose of some sort. There was some citrus on relight. In all, I really didn't notice anything standing out. It was good comfortable smoke, but nothing special.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Kinda feel like GLP blends have lost the thrill factor for a lot of their original audience. They're easily obtainable and always there and Pease doesn't frequently go for the marketing gimmicks and special blends that generate surges of excitement. Plus he's absent from pipe forums, doesn't go on podcast shows, or self promote the way he once did. These days he barely even keeps his web site current. One gets the impression that Pease is a one man show who's gotten bored with the act. Many of his blends are superb but even greatness needs someone to promote it online in today's market.
Part of the reason I really like GLP blends is there availability and lack of gimmicky. It is crazy to me that Stonehenge, which for all practical purposes is a GH&C tobacco, is easily obtainable, while damn near every other GH&C tobacco, with the exception of like Kendal Gold Menthol, is consistently out of stock. Go figure!

Having my first bowl of Jackknife RR right now and to my satisfaction, it tasted like Jackknife! Maybe just a tad less of the VA sweetnees than the plug, but could just be my imagination.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I think the taste is pretty good. It just doesn’t have enough nicotine to suit me.
My nicotine tolerance has been decreasing, which is a very welcome development for me. But up until very recently, I was a Dark Flake/Plug smoker... almost every morning, to satisfy my nicotine needs. When I'd run out of Dark Flake/Plug/1792/Lakeland Dark and couldn't get more, JackKnife and HH Bold Kentucky were two blends I could count on to reasonably fill the void.

Frankly, I found that kind of tolerance/addiction level to be a tremendous pain in the ass given the Gawith supply issues and the lack of alternatives that brought that level of heat. As much as I enjoy the overall smoking experience of those dark English bastards, it's nice to not have to. But I can certainly relate to having to.

I don't know what my point is. I guess that Jackknife, to me anyway, is about as strong as I've found this side of the Atlantic. And it is good ass morning smoke with coffee. There, a conclusion.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
It’s a 2020 tin. I’m not gonna be touching it for atleast 10 years. Just handy storing as is, however could easily jar it up instead if that’s to general consensus
If you're going to age it for 10+ years, I'd leave it in the original tin unless you're afraid of potential mold. As Pease has mentioned in some of his essays, just cracking the seal will have a big effect on the aging process, though maybe not a particularly negative one.

Status
Not open for further replies.