Why Doesn't GLP Jack Knife Plug & RR Get More Love?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm with you. I think it's excellent. It is far less vinegar-y and acidic to me than ODF, which I also enjoy, and quite a bit stouter in DFK and nicotine than HotW. I think it has a very clean and "natural" sort of flavor profile and interplay between the VAs and DFK. I saw a video where Jeremy Reeves said it contains 20% DFK which he indicated was on the heavy end of the scale for C&D made blends that contain DFK. I probably would have guessed more like 30-40% before I saw the video because of the strength of the blend and the prominence of the Kentucky in the flavor profile. I must over-estimate the amount of the stuff needed to make a statement in the flavor of a blend.

I have been curious about the ready-rubbed version, but haven't tried it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hello, I had a tin of JKP which I sold after a couple of bowls because I found it had no taste that I could perceive, other than a bit of mustiness. I was really puzzled by it because I was expecting something great, yet didn't find what I was looking for.

What I wrote then I reviewed it was:

"I'd just come off a major HH Old Dark Fired bender and was eagerly looking forward to it, only to be badly, and sadly disappointed.

First of all, as noted by several other people, this is not what I understand of as a plug. I am thinking solid European, homogeneous plugs, this one's not it. It is more layered tobacco leaves that you have to handle with care or it'll simply scatter like a deck of cards. I think the reason is that GLP and C&D keep their tobaccos as natural as possible with regards to casings and toppings. The pity is that for my tastes this basically doesn't work. I guess I am not refined enough and need tobacco to have been through several processes, and have had a lot of additives to it.

The tin note is faint dark fired Kentucky and Virginia, but very faint. The taste...where is the taste?

This is the biggest disappointment for me, I was looking forward to a different version of MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired but found not a lot at all in Jackknife Plug. There is Virginia here and there, there is a hint of DFK here and there, and it is quite strong (stronger than C&D's OJK and Haunted Bookshop, the other two blends I tried recently and got no taste out of them). It also dried my throat a bit.

Overall it just left me a dry taste and little else. "

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hello, I had a tin of JKP which I sold after a couple of bowls because I found it had no taste that I could perceive, other than a bit of mustiness. I was really puzzled by it because I was expecting something great, yet didn't find what I was looking for.

What I wrote then I reviewed it was:

"I'd just come off a major HH Old Dark Fired bender and was eagerly looking forward to it, only to be badly, and sadly disappointed.

First of all, as noted by several other people, this is not what I understand of as a plug. I am thinking solid European, homogeneous plugs, this one's not it. It is more layered tobacco leaves that you have to handle with care or it'll simply scatter like a deck of cards. I think the reason is that GLP and C&D keep their tobaccos as natural as possible with regards to casings and toppings. The pity is that for my tastes this basically doesn't work. I guess I am not refined enough and need tobacco to have been through several processes, and have had a lot of additives to it.

The tin note is faint dark fired Kentucky and Virginia, but very faint. The taste...where is the taste?

This is the biggest disappointment for me, I was looking forward to a different version of MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired but found not a lot at all in Jackknife Plug. There is Virginia here and there, there is a hint of DFK here and there, and it is quite strong (stronger than C&D's OJK and Haunted Bookshop, the other two blends I tried recently and got no taste out of them). It also dried my throat a bit.

Overall it just left me a dry taste and little else. "

You may have just had a bad tin.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
JKP has a special place in my heart, and my bowl. It was one of the tobaccos I tried within the first few months of pipe smoking and since then I have about 3lbs cellared. I think it should last me a while as I don't smoke it that often, but it is one of the better DFK blends out there. If I had to put it up against another kind, ODF would be a good contender, although JKP seems richer and more dimensional than ODF.

Reactions: danimalia
Jun 9, 2018
England
I haven't smoked any of mine in well over a year. Threw some in to take to FL with me, what was left over in the last RR tin in a mylar bag. Have smoked two bowls since arriving, this is really good tobacco. Rich, sweet red Virginia flavors complimented nicely by the spicy DFK. There may be a hint of perique in this blend but it is purely complimentary to my taste. Plenty of strength and body but not overwhelming at all.

Don't see this blend mentioned often, not sure why. I'll definitely be smoking this more regularly.

I have a single plug of it in my cellar and look forward to trying it, it sounds right up my street.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Just had a bowl for the first time in a few months and was thinking the same thing myself.

Last tin of the plug I opened had mold issues and the tin before that grew mold after being jarred for a few weeks, after that I switched to the Ready Rubbed.

The only reason I revisited it this evening was the discovery of a dusty jar of the plug version from a few years ago I put in an odd spot in my living room. Excellent tobacco, but the Pease and C&D plugs are a little "loose" and can start to flake apart from my experiences.
Yeah, the plug disintegration issues are especially annoying with this one since the leaves are layered in a way that you have to cut evenly to get the intended balance of components. At a certain point, I usually end up having to cut up the entire plug because I start to lose so much leaf off the plug that I know I won't be getting the balance of components right. Seems like less of an issue with Triple Play which doesn't appear to be layered like JackKnife.

I just placed a small order that included some of the Ready-Rubbed. I enjoy playing with plugs, but sometimes it's nice to not have to. Hopefully, it tastes as good. I'd probably take Hoosiers advice and stick with the plug for aging though. I bet this ages really well, too.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I just got an 8oz that I’m putting away for the long haul. Any idea how long the tub/tins hold up over 10-20years? Or should I split the 2oz plugs into jars from the outset?

I would split them up if the production date is less than a year and you think you might try it soon. That way you can dip into one without disturbing the aging of the other 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.