PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I keep a few of the small, square tins for when I need to carry some tobacco.
Capstan, OGS, Mac Baren HH all come in those.
The round tins are probably cheaper, since all kinds of products are sold in them. Face creme, shoeshine, all kinds of waxes, candy even.
The taller 100g round tins with the screw on lid are great for keeping change in.
The Rattray type 100g tins with the plastic lid are also handy for receipts or dice or whatever.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I reckon that it's easier to have a uniformity throughout the production line of one tin rather than keep switching between the two. I never understood the sizing of Peterson 3P's. It seems like such a waste of space for the size, however, the tins will make a great cork-knocker ashtray.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
Oh, and the Sutliff cardboard "tins" are terrible. I wonder if folks who decided to cellar Seattle Pipe Club blends will disappointed down the road when they start pulling their special edition Mississippi River and Plum Pudding out only to find them bone dry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Granby, Colorado (Elevation 8400) theoretically has an average humidity of 5%, but it seems like everytime I check my weather station it is 0-1%. Open tins dry super fast here.
Gosh almighty. That is drier than dry. Sure hope it doesn't stay at zero for long- wouldn't that kill all living things by desiccation?

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Hydrate and moisturize!
Land of the blood boogers. Everything dries out. Most of the Colorado High Country is a high mountain desert. We can have 5' of snow of the ground and still only average 14" of moisture for the year. For those doing the math, that is pretty fluffy snow! And not much rain!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Land of the blood boogers. Everything dries out. Most of the Colorado High Country is a high mountain desert. We can have 5' of snow of the ground and still only average 14" of moisture for the year. For those doing the math, that is pretty fluffy snow! And not much rain!
It’s beautiful country though. I love it up there. Cool in the evenings, no suffocating humidity. There’s something really beautiful about the starkness of the high desert.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Where do you live such that a few extra hours or days would dry the tobacco significantly?
Was that directed at me @jpmcwjr ?

Australia.

It's not the "few extra hours or days" but rather the fact that I don't fill the tin to the brim; I just take enough to last while I'm out and about so there's usually only a few bowls worth left upon my return which will dry out rather quickly.

Tobacco is way too expensive here to waste what others might consider an insignificant amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.