Who In History Would You Most Like To Share A Bowl With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Albert Einstein - on our shared birthday, Pi Day.

J.R.R. Tolkien - I began pipe smoking when first reading The Hobbit.

Capt. James Cook - fascinating firsthand accounts from the Age of Exploration.

Sir Ernest Shackleton - much to learn from his leadership in the most austere conditions.

Sir Anthony Hopkins - perhaps the greatest living actor

Mervin Peake - author, Gormanghast trilogy; perhaps the greatest modern wordsmith (at least on par with Charle Dickens).

Ivan Sirko, Kosh Otaman of the Zaporozhian Cossack Host - great insulter of Turkish Sultan Hehmed IV

(of course Churchill, Abe Lincoln, George Washington, Ben Franklin & all of the Founding Fathers, & many mentioned above).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wow guys, some very interesting names popping up pretty much just as last time though with (if memory serves) many more of the American 'Forefathers' this time around which I totally get this being a basically American site.

I have to confess I needed to look up some of the names but generally most made sense to me.

An addition to my initial three, and this may not be popular, would be Adolph Hitler.

Mad as it sounds, I would dearly like to know why he held so many folks with such utter contempt and knowingly wasted so many good and innocent lives just to satisfy his delusions. I suspect I might chew through my pipe bit in so doing but I'd love to know what made him tick.

Regards,

Jay. ?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
He reportedly despised smoking of all forms. If I remember correctly, "Mein Kampf" is still available in English.

Reportedly when he blew his brains out everyone in the bunker instantly lit up with some relief. I like to think relief that the nightmare was over, but in huge moments people find solace in the small things, so it may have been the first smoke some of them had in weeks stuck inside the bunker, under a collapsing city, with two enemy armies closing in, and the weight of some of the worst crimes committed in the history of mankind on their shoulders.

To the question, I find it hard to say, there are so many people I admire and would love to talk to, but my realism kicks in and wonders, what are you going to talk to them about? Themselves and their work most likely, but then they know themselves, and their work better than I ever could. The big scientists like Einstein would probably be impenetrable to me. The military and political figures would share their worries ad their tough decisions, or maybe not. And they can't comment on today because they don't know today. I'm spoiling the fun, as usual!

I'd talk to Jules Verne, Stephen King or Anne Rice (maybe they don't count?), and possibly by stepfather who passed away 23 years ago. Possibly Bach, though in the flesh he may have been incredibly boring, pious, and serious. Neil Peart, Oppenheimer, Freud, Nietzsche.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
In no particular order:
Jeff Bridges
Bill Murray
Christopher Walken
Because they are quirky dudes both on and off camera.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
asked this question about four years ago and it elicited some very interesting replies so thought with the recent influx of new members, perhaps it was time to ask the question again.

The person can be real or fictional, so who would you choose to share a bowl (and perhaps a wee dram) with?

I would choose in no particular order Dr. Samuel Johnson, Sir Winston Churchill and Charles Darwin.

It's not even a contest. Winston Churchill.

Cheers,

Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.