PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I didn’t mean to imply that OG doesn’t change at all, it does. Just nothing like Samuel Gawith VAs for example. But it’s the closest to “why bother aging” of any I know.

And it’s definitely not for lack of natural sugar content, Rattrays VAs are as rich and sweet as any currently produced. Obviously this requires more research, I’ll have to break out the old stuff tonight!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I still haven’t gotten around to Brown Clunee, I need to try that one. Those are the four horsemen of Rattray’s. I do feel that Marlin is quite a bit different though, with no dark fired and that hint of delicious cavendish, but still with those mature VAs that are the hallmark of all four.

Same thing with Red Raparee and Black Mallory I feel. Similar but with small distinctions. I think the only difference between the two is the addition of cavendish?
BC is my jam.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Man, I wish I enjoyed this stuff, I’ve 3 sealed 100g tins left over after a brief stint with one, and after giving away a couple, and I fear they might just sit in my cellar for the next couple decades, as I don’t really think it’s my thing. It’s a damn shame as well, I don’t think anyone likes having their palate not agree with an adored high-quality blend. To me, it just tastes like a light, herbaceous cigarette, with a strangely large amount of strength to boot. How anyone in their right mind can compare the flavor profile to Tilbury, I’ll probably never know. I’ve smoked most Rattray’s, with Brown Clunee strangely coming out as my favorite on top of all of their blends, so, perhaps my palate is just wacky. No problem for me though, as people generally don’t go after Brown Clunee as ravenously as they do the other Rattray’s Horsemen.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Man, I wish I enjoyed this stuff, I’ve 3 sealed 100g tins left over after a brief stint with one, and after giving away a couple, and I fear they might just sit in my cellar for the next couple decades, as I don’t really think it’s my thing. It’s a damn shame as well, I don’t think anyone likes having their palate not agree with an adored high-quality blend. To me, it just tastes like a light, herbaceous cigarette, with a strangely large amount of strength to boot. How anyone in their right mind can compare the flavor profile to Tilbury, I’ll probably never know. I’ve smoked most Rattray’s, with Brown Clunee strangely coming out as my favorite on top of all of their blends, so, perhaps my palate is just wacky. No problem for me though, as people generally don’t go after Brown Clunee as ravenously as they do the other Rattray’s Horsemen.
Three sealed tins that you don’t want of a blend you don’t like? I can guide you on how to properly dispose of them!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Craig,Mind You clarify me how does that differ from OG, which I like per se, though I prefer Solani Silver Flake over them ,although that one is different type of blend
Of the 3 similar tobaccos, (HOTW, OG, BC) comprised of Kentucky, Virginia, Perique, Brown Clunee is a little more spicy, plumy... I figure BC has the most perique, whereas in HOTW Kentucky takes the lead, and in OG Virginia is the predominant tobacco.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I find BG to mostly taste like a straight Virginia and while good, is a bit subdued. OG tastes more like a Virginia dominant VaPer where the Perique is more fruity than Peppery. The DFK compliments the Virginia noticeably with HOW and is the richest, full bodied of the 3. All 3 are worthy of some space in a cellar if you like spicy Virginia blends. OG and HOW are about tired for my favorite, maybe a slight preference for the HOW.