PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Old Gowrie is my favorite blend, of all time.

I popped a tin for New Years and had a few smokes from it, and as always it ticks every box for me.

For those who haven’t tried it, Old Gowrie is a broken flake of mature and fruity VAs, dark fired and some Perique. Back in the day, people swore up and down that it was a straight VA. I remember getting into arguments on other forums about it.

The dark fired and Perique are used in such a way where I can’t taste them individually, but they add a lot of depth in a true “condimental” way.

Tin note is almost edible, dark fruits, wine-like and the kind of scent that gets tobacco nerds like us all fired up. A few years of age increase the fruitiness. Taste is just as good, with a little extra smokiness and spice to back it up.

I prefer OG over Hal O The Wynd, although HOTW is some great stuff, too.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Old Gowrie is my favorite blend, of all time.

I popped a tin for New Years and had a few smokes from it, and as always it ticks every box for me.

For those who haven’t tried it, Old Gowrie is a broken flake of mature and fruity VAs, dark fired and some Perique. Back in the day, people swore up and down that it was a straight VA. I remember getting into arguments on other forums about it.

The dark fired and Perique are used in such a way where I can’t taste them individually, but they add a lot of depth in a true “condimental” way.

Tin note is almost edible, dark fruits, wine-like and the kind of scent that gets tobacco nerds like us all fired up. A few years of age increase the fruitiness. Taste is just as good, with a little extra smokiness and spice to back it up.

I prefer OG over Hal O The Wynd, although HOTW is some great stuff, too.

I completely agree. If I had to choose one Rattray blend as a favorite, OG would be it. And whatever the label says, I find it at least equal to HOTW in the strength dept.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Only I've had is from a canister that's over 10 years old. It needs to be dried out, but is a great Virginia, blended to perfection. Every time I pack a bowl, I wonder why I don't smoke it more often. Have not tried a fresh tin, though I have one set back. I would consider jarring bulk OG, but I seem to always get led astray into buying yet more Red Rapparee instead.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Only I've had is from a canister that's over 10 years old. It needs to be dried out, but is a great Virginia, blended to perfection. Every time I pack a bowl, I wonder why I don't smoke it more often. Have not tried a fresh tin, though I have one set back. I would consider jarring bulk OG, but I seem to always get led astray into buying yet more Red Rapparee instead.

I’ve gone through fresh tins, 15 year old tins, and in between. This is one that doesn’t seem to change dramatically with age which could be because the VAs are plenty mature from the get go. So that bad news is that you can sit on it for years and years and not see a huge change. Good news is that it’s awesome right away.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Never been able to get it in bulk. Keeping my eyes peeled though! I love the art on the Rattray’s 100g tins though. Very regal.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ve gone through fresh tins, 15 year old tins, and in between. This is one that doesn’t seem to change dramatically with age which could be because the VAs are plenty mature from the get go. So that bad news is that you can sit on it for years and years and not see a huge change. Good news is that it’s awesome right away.
I agree mostly. I just finished a 2013 tin, and while I found it to have some *extra* dark fruit notes, the fresh stuff is just as good and I can’t say that the aged was really that dramatically different to my tastes. That being said, I’d still take the aged tin just cuz.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'll take that. It did seem very mature

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
OG is one of my favorites too, description is spot on the mark. Brown Clunie is similar (a little less perique), Hal-o-the Wind a little more perique than OG, and Marlin Flake a little more than HOW. All 4 are superb, similar but each distinct. HOW gets my nod for my favorite, but only by a slight bit.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
OG is one of my favorites too, description is spot on the mark. Brown Clunie is similar (a little less perique), Hal-o-the Wind a little more perique than OG, and Marlin Flake a little more than HOW. All 4 are superb, similar but each distinct. HOW gets my nod for my favorite, but only by a slight bit.
I still haven’t gotten around to Brown Clunee, I need to try that one. Those are the four horsemen of Rattray’s. I do feel that Marlin is quite a bit different though, with no dark fired and that hint of delicious cavendish, but still with those mature VAs that are the hallmark of all four.

Same thing with Red Raparee and Black Mallory I feel. Similar but with small distinctions. I think the only difference between the two is the addition of cavendish?

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Another OG lover here. Great write-up! I slightly prefer HOTW, but I smoke them both quite a bit. Though @tfdickson is pretty much always right, I find, I'm not sure I agree with him about aging OG. It seems to me like there's a marked difference between fresh and 2ish years. The latter is much fruitier, more jelly donut than the former to my tastes. Beyond a couple years, though, I wouldn't know as I've never tried it. Yet.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I still haven’t gotten around to Brown Clunee, I need to try that one. Those are the four horsemen of Rattray’s. I do feel that Marlin is quite a bit different though, with no dark fired and that hint of delicious cavendish, but still with those mature VAs that are the hallmark of all four.

Same thing with Red Raparee and Black Mallory I feel. Similar but with small distinctions. I think the only difference between the two is the addition of cavendish?

Stand corrected on Marlin Flake, looked back through my memory, and MF has a deep sweetness to it. When first opening any of the 4, pop the metal lid and let it sit with plastic lid for 2 - 3 weeks. Magic.