PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I always include some McClelland 2015 with my Secret Santa shipment and some years back I used to do a holiday season Stonehaven giveaway, an ounce each to eight different people who wanted to give it a try and couldn't score any.

It's just tobacco, and no matter how one tries to tart it up, it's still just tobacco.
It is just tobacco, indeed. I am fortunate that my favorite tobaccos are the ones I've smoked for 40 years.

I can drink and stomach good wine and whiskey. Better, good tequila.

But, when I am really wanting some good ole comfort, I turn to Catawba or Concord.

There is something to be said about having Low Brow roots. When the going gets tough, Low Brow sets it out.

As to the point of the thread... No one, or hardly anyone is upset with a seller who has some extra tobacco sitting around and sells it at what the market can bare. Why... would anyone be upset about that.

No one is upset with Steve.

Scalpers, who intervene and manipulate the free market are NOT the free market at work. It's legal, one can do it, but to applaud anyone whose mission is to infringe on how the market works is to applaud those whose mission in life is to create less simplicity, less economy of scale, and profit by removing free market competitive forces.

Those people who happen to be able to profit from the increased price are not to blame. Of course, sell away. The beef, if there is any, is with the scalpers. We hate it when government infringes on the market, why wouldn't we dislike it when it is hijacked by profiteers?

Reactions: yanoJL and jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Scalpers? I must admit to a bit of grudging admiration for people with the forethought, moral insufficiency, moneys and skill to purchase tickets, tobacco, etc. and profit from such. I may not hold them in esteem but, I do admire thier chutzpah. forethought and cunning. Not my cup o' tea but, they've found a way to survive. Such predatory behavior is to be decried but then, I was always able to admire, a wee bit, the burglar who never carried a weapon and insured that the house/business he was hitting was empty. Today's burglars are mostly dopers and a threat to everyone including themselves. To little professionalism today. :ROFLMAO:

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I always include some McClelland 2015 with my Secret Santa shipment and some years back I used to do a holiday season Stonehaven giveaway, an ounce each to eight different people who wanted to give it a try and couldn't score any.

It's just tobacco, and no matter how one tries to tart it up, it's still just tobacco.
I agree, mostly. I gift tobacco too, and usually only tins no longer available because...they are special. And it makes me happy to make someone else happy. And yes, it's just tobacco.

But not entirely. Those tins are not 'just' tobacco. They are special tobacco. And some tobacco, to me and to others, is special. Some is arguably not easily replicated. We can all probably name a few. And they cost more, because they simply do. And that's kinda ok by me. Makes the hobby more serious, and allows room for expertise and even sophistication to acknowledge there is a difference. To say that it's all the same is, I think, not an accurate characterisation. It's ok to do things well, and better than the status quo. It should be admired.

This is not to say that I would, or that someone should, denigrate other tobacco that is readily available and comparatively inexpensive.

But when I get a 20 year old tin of Xmas cheer, and I did a year ago as a gift...that was special. And, not inexpensive. It's ok, I think, to acknowledge that. And seeking it out and paying for it does not make someone a chump, or a snob. Hopefully they are informed and pay the market rate. Rates reliably found with Steve, by the way.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree, mostly. I gift tobacco too, and usually only tins no longer available because...they are special. And it makes me happy to make someone else happy. And yes, it's just tobacco.

But not entirely. Those tins are not 'just' tobacco. They are special tobacco. And some tobacco, to me and to others, is special. Some is arguably not easily replicated. We can all probably name a few. And they cost more, because they simply do. And that's kinda ok by me. Makes the hobby more serious, and allows room for expertise and even sophistication to acknowledge there is a difference. To say that it's all the same is, I think, not an accurate characterisation. It's ok to do things well, and better than the status quo. It should be admired.

This is not to say that I would, or that someone should, denigrate other tobacco that is readily available and comparatively inexpensive.

But when I get a 20 year old tin of Xmas cheer, and I did a year ago as a gift...that was special. And, not inexpensive. It's ok, I think, to acknowledge that. And seeking it out and paying for it does not make someone a chump, or a snob. Hopefully they are informed and pay the market rate. Rates reliably found with Steve, by the way.

All this is true, but, tobacco is not my dog, who loves me devotedly and curls up with me at night or steals off my plate when I'm not looking. It's not a good friend who I can share life's triumphs or disappointments with, laugh with, argue with, trust. It's not a spiritual experience of any profundity. It's not a great piece of music, or an amazing work of art, an insightful or surprising book. It isn't sentient in any way. And when I've been given a fine vintage tin or vintage pipe it's the person giving it to me that is far more special than the tin or the pipe. Neither the tin, nor the pipe, care whether I exist or not, but that person does. It will not miss me when I'm gone.

Compared to this and so much more, tobacco is a pleasure, to be sure, but it's just tobacco, regardless of how unique or fine it is. I can't make more of it.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I believe that how a person spends his hard earned money is his business. However, if the individual posts a "looky looky what I got" type of post, then that person is just opening themselves up for either praise or criticism. We all have the choice on how we spend our money. So if you spend $100 on tobacco, just sit back and enjoy it. You don't need to say how much you paid for it.

Pipe Stud run a business. So he will always be exposed to the opinion of others. There are always critics. If the tobacco is worth it to a customer, then what others think should not matter.
jef

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I have the wild idea people should just enjoy the hobby in whatever way they desire, listen to the opinions of others if they want to, and ignore them if they want to.

I also feel that collecting rare and interesting tins as well as collecting and aging common ones is a valid way to enjoy our hobby in addition to smoking them, just as collecting rare and interesting pipes is. Even if one can't understand that, it should be enough to know these people put money into the P&T industry and help keep it afloat for us all.

Enjoy your pipes and your leaf however you choose. I find this generally to be a welcoming and non-judgmental community and am glad to be a tiny part of it.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
“There's two kinds of people in the world
The day people and the night people.
And it's the night peoples' job
To get the day peoples' money”

What confuses me is I always envisioned Steve as a Dusk People.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I always have that problem when I read posts from @Nomadorb my mind always says Noma-Dorb.

Holy crap. I just realised I think “noma-dob”. That doesn’t even make sense

Full disclosure: When I first read @Nomadorb 's posts, the name read as "Noma-dorb"—even after I stopped and thought about it and knew it must be "Nomad-orb," in my head, it's still "Noma-dorb."

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Some Virginias are red.
Capitalism makes some people blue.
I’m moving on and so should you

/en

Some blends I like aged,
I'll pay for the privilege.
Others do as you please.

I'm too lazy to compose an English sonnet, so drawing the line at Haiku!

Reactions: B.Fee

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
For reference only, and nobody may care.

I just popped a a tin of Dunhill Flake that will air for a bit. It's aged to the point many think is a sweet spot for Va.

Received in in a pack of 5 tins from @pipestud that was very reasonably priced!

I like Peterson Flake, but seeing an opportunity to obtain some Dunhill Flake, figured it was worth getting to compare, why not.

And, if I really can't tell the difference or even if I can, I'll bet someone would love to get a tin of the Dunhill if they are my Secret Santa match later this year and that's just as good a reason to grab some, IMO.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
In my opinion, (which isn't worth $.02), living on a fixed income as i do, I don't really care that much about the price of the rare tobaccos on a secondary market.

If Pipestud wants to sell anything to anybody for any price, as long as it isn't something that is a necessity, I say go for it, and more power to ya!

I don't have to like or dislike it, or even care about it. This type of buying and selling has gone on forever.

If I could afford to buy something like Esoterica Penzance, sure I'd like to try it, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it, or label someone an A**hole or Snob because he can!

I'm used to it!!

It's the same with a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda, 1991 Dodge Viper, or a 15 year Pappy Van Winkle!

I've tried them all, and they are all overpriced, over rated, and out of my financial reach as long as I want to eat, stay warm, and keep my blood pressure down.

There is ALWAYS someone who can get a better or more, (insert non-essential item here) than I can.

Sure, if I feel I absolutely HAVE to have something, I can save or trade something, but it just don't matter that much and I don't want to label someone this or that because his pockets are deeper, or his value system is different.

Oh, and a guy I met at a restaurant and became friends with let me drive his Viper!....I'm sure I wouldn't be able to afford the insurance on it if he GAVE it to me!

I am however, content buying my inexpensive pipes, smoking the many varieties of 'baccy I have, and I'm as Happy as a Pig in Mud with my pipe and Tobacco situation...