PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang and Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

I just got through reading a recent thread, "Question for Debate," and thoroughly enjoyed reading through it, especially since my name was brought up a few times (okay, a lot of times). And I do want to start by saying that the reason I have been a site sponsor of pipesmagazine.com for many years is that it has a great bunch of guys who love talking about my favorite subjects - pipes and tobaccos! I love fun debates about our hobby and I hope you fine folks don't mind if kind of piggy-back off of that thread since it dealt with tobacco pricing and that's something that I've had to debate just about every time I list a tin or bag of tobacco on my website.

I’ve had to practice patience with tobacco snobs for many years. The fact is, I actually feel a little sorry for them because it’s obvious that they “just don’t get it.” But you know what? There was a point in time where I didn’t get it either. So, if you read further, know that I used to be a “tobacco snob” too! The great news is that I finally did get it and even better, I don’t recall ever having had to deal with tobacco snobs who make purchases from my own website. I guess they got it long before I did. I don’t know about their past history, but I find that most of my customers are extremely happy to get what they order and I often get emails from buyers who tell me how excellent such and such a blend was once they tried it, and actually thanked me for selling it to them, no matter the price paid. Hey, I’m the one who should always be thanking my customers for spending their hard-earned money on my website offerings. Yes, I know that there are times when a customer makes a purchase – and spends a lot of money – on a tin that, for whatever reason, just did not float their boat. Hey, I’d be a rich man (well, almost), if I had my money back for tobacco purchases that I’ve made over the past four decades that didn’t float my boat. It happens, but fortunately, my customers understand that. And for every dud there will be plenty of home runs, right?

I am a member of several Internet forums (although this is the only one I regularly participate on and the only one in which I am a proud sponsor), and read some of the less than flattering things these tobacco snobs write on P&T forums. Personally, my idea of a tobacco snob is the person or persons who think that spending more than $10 – $20 on a tin of tobacco is a criminal act and will justify their thinking by offering less than flattering adjectives about those who do. And I have found that it’s actually the people who think that spending $100 or more for a tin of tobacco, or hobbyists who collect hundreds of tins of high dollar, rare, or no longer made pipe tobaccos, who seem to be the ones who simply mind their own business and don’t disparage another hobbyist’s purchase because it was inexpensive or not highly regarded tobacco. Why should the tobacco snobs of the world care whether their fellow hobbyists spend $10 or $1,000 on a tin of tobacco? I no long can figure that one out. I have a lot of customers who have 20 tins of tobacco in their cellars that are worth about $200 and they are excited to send me a list of what they have to get my thoughts. And that excites me! I also have customers who have literally multiple hundreds of tins worth multiple thousands of dollars’ worth of tobacco. I am happy for both and glad they are enjoying the pipe smoking hobby in a way that best fits their personal collecting and smoking desires.

All of us in the pipe tobacco hobby have different comfort zones regarding our purchases of things like homes and cars as well as pipes and pipe tobaccos. I am always just as happy for those who are able to purchase high dollar tins of something that they wanted as those who email me after being excited that they got a $30 tin of something that they wanted. We are fellow hobbyists who, hopefully, have the same excitement level for any purchase of something that we are after. And a hearty thanks to each and every one of you who chooses to spend some of your earnings with me, whether it be a $20 tin of tobacco or a $100 tin. And I promise to work hard at keeping Pipestud.com is a snob free zone!

Steve

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Why should the tobacco snobs of the world care whether their fellow hobbyists spend $10 or $1,000 on a tin of tobacco? I no long can figure that one out.
Jealousy and/or envy most likely. And, a lot of people simply demean anything they can't get the heads around. So, ignorance also.Thoroughly enjoyed your post. Sad though that you felt the need to defend/explain. It will be over the heads of most of the so-called "snobs."

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Either pipes, tobacco, fancy underwear or scotch, it never ceases to amaze me how someone will always express disdain for what something costs.

I’m cut differently. If I want it I don’t care the cost. I want it. If someone gets what they want that’s excellent too.

People that can’t imagine paying more than $10 for a tin that’s valued at $100 should just quietly go cry their sorry asses off in a corner.

Enjoy your cobs or your Bo Norhd’s. They key is don’t bitch and moan. Just enjoy it.

Jealousy is an ugly look.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I understand both side of the debate. Some people just can't understand a tin of tobacco costing US$1,000. It's their value system. Then there are those who are just pissed they can't get their hand on it. Then there are those who just don't care. That's three side of the debate, but last one don't count much. I really don't care.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I remember the radio/podcast show you were on and the interviewer was jokingly poking you about your gnarly daily Royal Yacht Five Brothers concoction. What's that worth about $20 a tin/pouch? ($50 if aged?)...
At the end of the day, we smoke what we want, when, and spend however much we like. It's all subjective and really no one's business. To seriously criticize different tastes and spending habits is kind of myopic the world is a wide and wonderful place filled with folks all doing their own thing. I'm glad you are doing your thing as I wouldn't be able to test my clicker fingers every Saturday.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not being able to afford what you want is a correctable situation. Find a way to make more moneys such as, relocating for a higher paying job, increasing your value to your current employer, take a second job, quit smoking, improve your education, and so forth. Or, set your "want sights" lower. Either way, not many here want to read your tale of "woe is me. I can't have what I want." Tough!

For me there are not two sides to the debate. While I do enjoy some of the winging, it makes me feel superior rotf , some of it is just ranting. For those ranters, type it, read it on your computer screen, save it and reread as the need arises. That will fill the need to rant without imposing your sorrows/woes on the rest of us. Life is tough and not fair. Get tougher and spend your time finding "fixes" instead of whining.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

I just got through reading a recent thread, "Question for Debate," and thoroughly enjoyed reading through it, especially since my name was brought up a few times (okay, a lot of times). And I do want to start by saying that the reason I have been a site sponsor of pipesmagazine.com for many years is that it has a great bunch of guys who love talking about my favorite subjects - pipes and tobaccos! I love fun debates about our hobby and I hope you fine folks don't mind if kind of piggy-back off of that thread since it dealt with tobacco pricing and that's something that I've had to debate just about every time I list a tin or bag of tobacco on my website.

I’ve had to practice patience with tobacco snobs for many years. The fact is, I actually feel a little sorry for them because it’s obvious that they “just don’t get it.” But you know what? There was a point in time where I didn’t get it either. So, if you read further, know that I used to be a “tobacco snob” too! The great news is that I finally did get it and even better, I don’t recall ever having had to deal with tobacco snobs who make purchases from my own website. I guess they got it long before I did. I don’t know about their past history, but I find that most of my customers are extremely happy to get what they order and I often get emails from buyers who tell me how excellent such and such a blend was once they tried it, and actually thanked me for selling it to them, no matter the price paid. Hey, I’m the one who should always be thanking my customers for spending their hard-earned money on my website offerings. Yes, I know that there are times when a customer makes a purchase – and spends a lot of money – on a tin that, for whatever reason, just did not float their boat. Hey, I’d be a rich man (well, almost), if I had my money back for tobacco purchases that I’ve made over the past four decades that didn’t float my boat. It happens, but fortunately, my customers understand that. And for every dud there will be plenty of home runs, right?

I am a member of several Internet forums (although this is the only one I regularly participate on and the only one in which I am a proud sponsor), and read some of the less than flattering things these tobacco snobs write on P&T forums. Personally, my idea of a tobacco snob is the person or persons who think that spending more than $10 – $20 on a tin of tobacco is a criminal act and will justify their thinking by offering less than flattering adjectives about those who do. And I have found that it’s actually the people who think that spending $100 or more for a tin of tobacco, or hobbyists who collect hundreds of tins of high dollar, rare, or no longer made pipe tobaccos, who seem to be the ones who simply mind their own business and don’t disparage another hobbyist’s purchase because it was inexpensive or not highly regarded tobacco. Why should the tobacco snobs of the world care whether their fellow hobbyists spend $10 or $1,000 on a tin of tobacco? I no long can figure that one out. I have a lot of customers who have 20 tins of tobacco in their cellars that are worth about $200 and they are excited to send me a list of what they have to get my thoughts. And that excites me! I also have customers who have literally multiple hundreds of tins worth multiple thousands of dollars’ worth of tobacco. I am happy for both and glad they are enjoying the pipe smoking hobby in a way that best fits their personal collecting and smoking desires.

All of us in the pipe tobacco hobby have different comfort zones regarding our purchases of things like homes and cars as well as pipes and pipe tobaccos. I am always just as happy for those who are able to purchase high dollar tins of something that they wanted as those who email me after being excited that they got a $30 tin of something that they wanted. We are fellow hobbyists who, hopefully, have the same excitement level for any purchase of something that we are after. And a hearty thanks to each and every one of you who chooses to spend some of your earnings with me, whether it be a $20 tin of tobacco or a $100 tin. And I promise to work hard at keeping Pipestud.com is a snob free zone!

Steve
I may make myself mighty unpopular with this post but that's life in the big city.

You run a fine business, offering aged and unavailable tobaccos to people who are interested in buying them. I've been a customer and your service has never been less than excellent. Some of the purchases were homeruns and some were strike outs. But that's in the nature of buying older tobaccos from unknown sources. There's no way to ensure that what's in the tin is going to be great. You know that and I know that. We've discussed that.

That said, if some people find dropping a a lot of money on a tin of celebrated "whatsis" absurd on some level, it's their right to feel that way. If they want to express that publicly it's still their right to do so and it's other's right to express their support of their lack of support for that view. That's what makes for a forum, points of view expressed and discussed.

What I take exception to is labeling people and disparaging them because their view is different from yours. I'm no saint in this area. I've done that myself, especially over the whole water flushing debate. But it's not something I take pride in having done. And I certainly wouldn't go about labeling them or trying to cancel them with a label.

This is your business, it's a good business, and it's a service that many are grateful to have. And I understand that you're proud of it and protective of it. But maybe there's a better way to do that, assuming that it's even necessary, than labeling people who feel differently about it.

Last edited:

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I gotta add my view: what the hell do I care what anyone besides my wife and I pay for anything? If demand drives up prices, well, that’s basic economics. Markets bring buyers and sellers together to agree to a price and THAT IS WHAT IT IS WORTH. I can sit on my dead ass and say X isn’t worth it, but that’s because the price is too high for me. It may not be for someone else, but if that’s not true, then the seller will lower the price or it will go unsold. The ignorance, if not stupidity, of basic economics by a lot of people, especially in the government, is frightening.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I gotta add my view: what the hell do I care what anyone besides my wife and I pay for anything? If demand drives up prices, well, that’s basic economics. Markets bring buyers and sellers together to agree to a price and THAT IS WHAT IT IS WORTH. I can sit on my dead ass and say X isn’t worth it, but that’s because the price is too high for me. It may not be for someone else, but if that’s not true, then the seller will lower the price or it will go unsold. The ignorance, if not stupidity, of basic economics by a lot of people, especially in the government, is frightening.
Agree, though it's annoying when panic-buyers wipe out stocks and drive prices through the roof.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020

Steve

+1. Well written and thoughtful. I agree with every point. For whatever that’s worth.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have always looked at tobacco cost as enjoyment per bowel vs cost. I get 20 to 25 bowls per tin and if you do the math, that’s less than a Starbucks coffee most of the time. it takes me around an hour to smoke a bowl. So…I think that’s a reasonable enjoyment return on a cost of a new desirable tin no matter where I buy it.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
"Value" and "worth" are funny things.

How much are my grandfather's pipes worth? To a collector, maybe $100 bucks. To somebody on eBay, maybe $50 bucks. To me, they are absolutely priceless and I could never put a dollar amount on them. They have far more value to me than they do financial worth.

My daughter's boyfriend is getting ready to graduate the technical high school in the diesel mechanic program and just landed a job with the state. He has been advised you obtain some high quality tools, for which he does not have the money for. I gave him some of mine, which I no longer use and have not touched for nearly a decade. While some of them hold great financial value, they hold no worth to me because I do not need them. These tools do however hold a high value and a high worth for him.

People will often ask how much they should pay for a particular pipe for a particular time of tobacco... My response is generally, how much is it worth to you? For one man, a tin of Esoterica Penzance can be worth $100 or more, while myself, I wouldn't pay more than retail. Does that mean it's not worth $100? No. It is to somebody, just not to me.

I think Steve does an excellent job with his website and provides a great service to the pipe community. So do many others who deal with the estate market. To them, I say thank you. To everyone else I say... mind your own business and do what's right for you, don't worry so much about what other people are doing.

Life's short. Smoke your pipe & enjoy it. puffy

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I have always looked at tobacco cost as enjoyment per bowel vs cost. I get 20 to 25 bowls per tin and if you do the math, that’s less than a Starbucks coffee most of the time. it takes me around an hour to smoke a bowl. So…I think that’s a reasonable enjoyment return on a cost of a new desirable tin no matter where I buy it.
I like your thinking. I thought $15 was too much for a little 50g tin until I thought about how many hours of enjoyment I'll get for that $15.
Quality over quantity. I'd rather smoke 1 great bowl than 100 mediocre bowls.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Steve, you’re and old hand, and if you were going to get worked up, you would’ve been in the nervous hospital by now.
I would just ask the general population, if you were going to sell a pipe, or a tin of tobacco, would you go wrong asking Steve to handle it for you?