PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I've never had an opera pipe, but I'm a pretty big fan of the art form. I've been in 'em, played in the orchestra for 'em, and sung and played a number of arias and excerpts in my career. My favorite opera composers are Monteverdi, Mozart, Verdi, Wagner, Alban Berg, and Phillip Glass. Wagner's ring cycle contains some of the best music ever written, and the "original" ring cycle, sorry Tolkien fans (ok, technically, both cycles are based at least partially on norse mythology).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's actually very good when you're on a non-typical device or OS such as "smart" DVD players and older cellphones. Sadly there's becoming less and less of it these days.
Never owned a DVD player, much less a smart one.?

Reactions: shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Streaming if that's the right word.
That's the beauty of Opera. Almost any device that allows streaming likely has an Opera app that will let you browse the interwebs albeit a bit cumbersome to use.

I got rid of our DVD players for Roku sticks. The new sticks allow me to control the TV volume and turn the TV off. Plus, I have a Roku app on my phone that allows me to control the Roku sticks from my phone on my WiFi network. It's fun to mess with my wife while I'm in the backyard.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've a cabinet full of DVDs and then some more. No way I'm gonna stream. I wanna be able to watch movies without the Internet. I also don't want Big Bother erasing scenes from my shows either!

Reactions: Toast

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've never had an opera pipe, but I'm a pretty big fan of the art form. I've been in 'em, played in the orchestra for 'em, and sung and played a number of arias and excerpts in my career. My favorite opera composers are Monteverdi, Mozart, Verdi, Wagner, Alban Berg, and Phillip Glass. Wagner's ring cycle contains some of the best music ever written, and the "original" ring cycle, sorry Tolkien fans (ok, technically, both cycles are based at least partially on norse mythology).
On the point of originality, part of my cultural heritage is a medieval chain dance with chanting, and some of the main ballads are about the niebelungen. They are medieval, probably 6-700 years old. The central epos about Sigurd and the ring, the dragon, shieldmaiden and all that is contained in three songs with about 600 verses.
Essential to the singing is knowing the songs by heart, as papers and books are no-no.

Reactions: edger

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
L O V E I T !
A little "pitchy" but the intonation and acting was just superb! BRAVO! I could only imagine what Curley could do with Donizetti's, Mad Scene.

If I'm not mistaken Maria Callas revealed that she learned everything she knew, from studying at Mr. Curley's Vocal School -a little known adjunct of the famous, Julliard. That school is still turning out great singers, and it's still in the original West 48th Street, location. I just passed it the other day. It's right next to "Dora Schiffler's Mambo Studio?. You can't miss it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm not very good at dating pipes...so I'm going to guess 1955. Just a guess. I know it's not really any help to you.

Is the suffix number after the D smaller?

1607088230046.png