PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Afternoon everyone, this is the first pipe I ever brought, it was from a Salvation Army charity shop in South Chicago and it cost me a hefty $2.50. There’s a crack in the top of the bowl and the bowl itself had more carbon than Han Solo. The lad in the tobacconist had to give it a really good reaming (ouch), but it remained my only pipe for a very long time as I only used to smoke it around Xmas. Now it’s one of many and pretty much out of rotation as my early smoking days showed it little compassion and it’s like an eggshell now.
I understand that the style is called the Opera and is no longer made, it’s just under 5”, oval bowl and markings 327 DUNHILL shell briar, a 4 in a circle and S next to it. I’m hoping one of you pipe geniuses out there can help me date it.
Right now I’m enjoying Exclusiv BC with some Latakia out of my new (old) Falcon that arrived this morning. image.jpgimage.jpg

Operas are interest. I've seen a lot of them that after being smoked for a while, the bowl burns out to a round shap, making the sidewalls very thin.
The musical theater stuff... I'd rather be waterboarded for a few hours. My daughter tried to make me watch Hamilton. I had no idea what was going on, and forced myself not to get up and run out of the room, but it's just stupid.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Like the opera pipe, I really do.....but nothing, not even a pipe, will eclipse The Three Stooges, singing the famous Sextet from Lucia! This has to be considered an operatic triumph, even for them hoity-toity opera-snobs, at The Met! Not even the late-great Sutherland, with her incredible technique, couldn't top their performance.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Like the opera pipe, I really do.....but nothing, not even a pipe, will eclipse The Three Stooges, singing the famous Sextet from Lucia! This has to be considered an operatic triumph, even for them hoity-toity opera-snobs, at The Met! Not even the late-great Sutherland, with her incredible technique, couldn't top their performance.
Laurel and Hardy doing Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia stands up there too. God I love those guys

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
If you get a picture of the stamping up, I can figure it out for you! I love that style of Dunhill.

I do like old line traditional opera (Broadway shows can be great also but that's not opera). Turandot is my favorite followed closely by the Ring Cycle of Wagner's. Nessun Dorma is just the most beautiful song as well as the Flight of the Valkyries.
If there is no other dialog, besides the music, it is an opera. But, if there is a mix of dialog and music, it is merely a musical. Hamilton relies solely on music, which would be fine if they sang in a way that could be understood. There are a few Broadway shows that are operas. Honestly, I don't care much for either. It doesn't have to be something in a foreign language... although, with the way Hamilton was so poorly sung, it might as well have been done in Greek, IMO.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I thought this thread might actually be about opera. I am a classical music lover from way back, but I struggle with opera. I love the arias, the orchestrations, but as theatre it tends to bore me.
After starting to read the thread I was shocked at how quickly we arrived at the three stooges. You won't see a corn cob at the Met.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That oval bowl made those pipes famous. Supposedly they would lie more flat in the pocket of your tux until intermission, or some such tale. I believe other brands made them as well. Savinelli makes an Opera-named pipe in the 673 bulldog shape, with the shank diamond edges rounded off. It has a round chamber, not oval, and is an especially handsome edition. Plenty of pipes fall within the "dress" category, like the Peterson Killarney ebony pipes in different shapes, like my B11 brandy. I like opera, but I'm no real fan, just enjoy recitals by the greats, like Leontyne Price singing the arias from "Madam Butterfly."

Reactions: Birddog66 and edger