Which Tobacco Leaves Your Favorite Mustache Note?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I can tell you what I don't like to smell like all the time and that's Latakia. I love to smoke it but then you smell like it for the rest of the day so it's usually an evening smoke for me.

Reactions: JOHN72

mortua.manus

Lurker
May 16, 2024
Here in NW Ohio there is a shop named Port Royal. They sell a house blend named Castle Kildare. It's far and away my favorite.
Heh, I was just trying to figure out what bulk blend Castle Kildare was. I don't think its anything Port Royale blended themselves

Reactions: GenXApex

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Stumbled upon this; I'd been mulling over the Goatee Ghost and Moustache Ming for a while and was going to ask. I mean, sometimes I have to reset mine with the Pears, old boy.

I don't really notice virginias or vapers, or lat blends for that matter, but Kendal No.7 doesn't play nice with anything after the fact. The sweet essence of giraffe, I believe.

Reactions: JOHN72

ItsKarl

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2024
Norway
Most of my moustache waxes are scented, so that complicates things a bit. So I actually try to avoid blowing into my moustache for that reason - and, more importantly, there's the missus to consider.

Reactions: BingBong and JOHN72

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Hmmm.... I haven't paid enough attention to distinguish between different mustache notes left by different tobaccos...
I don't ever smoke or bring a lit pipe into the bedroom, but I do love going to bed with a mustache note!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
What about those of our group that bat off the other foot? What about those other hairy areas that might hold an interesting tobacco scent? Interested minds would like to know. rotf

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
I've enjoyed this phenomenon for a long time, but this is the first time I've ever really thought about, let alone heard the clever name for it. That's awesome!!

I enjoy most all of the scents, I can't think of any negative ones. If I had to narrow it down, I'd probably go with plum pudding or Boswells christmas cookies.

DedHed Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Light Latakia and the top one is Squadron Leader.
I smoke it early in the day so I have a long time ahead of me to walk around looking stupid with my moustache shoved halfway up my nostrils. Amazing stuff.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I can't be certain what others mean by "mustache note" (nor whether it really depends upon a mustache), but what I mean is that, for an hour or more after smoking, I can exhale from my mouth up through my mustache (by protruding my lower lip until it meets the bottom of my mustache, forcing the exhalation through the hairs) and breathe this in through my nose, and thereby smell/taste a note that is related to but distinct from what I tasted while smoking.

For me, this is one of the distinct enjoyments of pipe tobacco. This mutache note is a pleasure.

As of last night, I've decided that my favorite mustache note is from Dunhill Dark Flake.

And here's the interesting disparity:
Although Dark Flake is among my favorite tobaccos, it is not my absolute single favorite, and yet it does leave my absolute single favorite mustache note.

Salty Dogs I like a tad better than Dark Flake, while smoking, but I like it's mustache note a tad less.

Have you noticed a certain tobacco leaving an especially tasty mustache note?
Have you noticed a mustache note ranking more highly for you than the tobacco itself does?