Which Tobacco Leaves Your Favorite Mustache Note?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Ashton Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I can't be certain what others mean by "mustache note" (nor whether it really depends upon a mustache), but what I mean is that, for an hour or more after smoking, I can exhale from my mouth up through my mustache (by protruding my lower lip until it meets the bottom of my mustache, forcing the exhalation through the hairs) and breathe this in through my nose, and thereby smell/taste a note that is related to but distinct from what I tasted while smoking.

For me, this is one of the distinct enjoyments of pipe tobacco. This mutache note is a pleasure.

As of last night, I've decided that my favorite mustache note is from Dunhill Dark Flake.

And here's the interesting disparity:
Although Dark Flake is among my favorite tobaccos, it is not my absolute single favorite, and yet it does leave my absolute single favorite mustache note.

Salty Dogs I like a tad better than Dark Flake, while smoking, but I like it's mustache note a tad less.

Have you noticed a certain tobacco leaving an especially tasty mustache note?
Have you noticed a mustache note ranking more highly for you than the tobacco itself does?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Current might be KBV Meditations... it leaves a tangy fruity but also funky note in my beard and pipe. Smoking it is kinda like the intersection of flavors you get with bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with blue cheese, and sniffing the pipe afterward makes me salivate for more!

Otherwise, I do seem to like the beard/mustache/jacket note of straight Virginias a lot more than VaPers, English blends, or anything with burley or DFK. Those all seem to have more of an earthy reek to them when they're done. Same for the pipes, which I then rest for at least a day in my shop so they don't stink up the family room where my pipes are displayed.

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Not my favorite blend smoke-wise by far, but Sutliff Sps-22
Sutliff Mark Twain
Yeah the Sutliff aros and semiaromatics smell nice for sure, I like their bourbon whiskey (sps2007 IIRC, AKA the bulk form of Super Value bourbon whiskey). Low Country Hazelnut and Lane 1Q are ones my wife doesn't hate.

I find that most cheap burley/cavendish aros make my beard smell nice, and the room note during smoking is nice, but after a little while the room note turns to stank.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Yeah the Sutliff aros and semiaromatics smell nice for sure, I like their bourbon whiskey (sps2007 IIRC, AKA the bulk form of Super Value bourbon whiskey). Low Country Hazelnut and Lane 1Q are ones my wife doesn't hate.

I find that most cheap burley/cavendish aros make my beard smell nice, and the room note during smoking is nice, but after a little while the room note turns to stank.
Most cheap ones do stink after a bit.

Reactions: SBC