PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Sometimes too much dairy or too much spice makes me not want to smoke. Gives me a weird palate

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I smoke cigars too, I would choose a better quality cigar if I was eating a steak dinner as apposed to grilling burgers. As for pipes though. Most all of the tobacco is of great quality for around the same/cheap price, so i just grab what ever I'm in the mood for. It's also why I'm starting to only smoke pipe tobacco. I'm the boss of how the pipe smokes not a roller.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I tried considering the OP‘s question, but the underlying idea doesn’t jibe in any way with how I think about tobacco or pipe smoking.

Reactions: JOHN72 and SBC

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I tried considering the OP‘s question, but the underlying idea doesn’t jibe in any way with how I think about tobacco or pipe smoking.
It is bringing pipe tabacco to another level. Why talk so much about flavours of tobacco and in the end downgrade it to nicotin only.
I know this is provocative maybe but as a smoker tobaccos are the best in the morning or after a good meal.

Although it's a hobby so everybody do as they please there are no wrong answers it's just another dimension. So hopefully no offense.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Why talk so much about flavours of tobacco and in the end downgrade it to nicotin only.
I’m not sure why you think this is being done. I certainly don’t smoke for the nicotine; I don’t enjoy the effects of nicotine in tobacco, so I avoid anything past the mid-way point of strength.

I don’t need a specific kind of meal or time of day to help me appreciate the tobaccos I already smoke and enjoy. And I certainly don’t choose a tobacco to complement a meal. For me, eating and smoking are two different and separate activities.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I don’t pair my tobaccos with food. I pick a pipe that fits the amount of time I have to smoke and then it is just what tobacco I feel like in the moment. No consideration given to the food I have eaten except not smoking a nicotine-laden blend on an empty stomach.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Ha. I wrote up a big response but it didn't really add much. The only thing I really consider is whether I want a scotch/bourbon and choose one or the other. I absolutely loathe a pipe and whisky. It's never worked for me as a pair.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don’t pair my tobaccos with food. I pick a pipe that fits the amount of time I have to smoke and then it is just what tobacco I feel like in the moment. No consideration given to the food I have eaten except not smoking a nicotine-laden blend on an empty stomach.
What I was trying to say but which you said better.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Or, you could try some of the luxury cigarettes brands in addition to the pipe. That way you can enjoy both. Perhaps add cigars a another nicotine delivery system.

I often smoke a pipe on an empty stomach, during a meal and so forth. But, pipes are not a hobby for me, the are a nicotine delivery system, as are cigars, cigarettes and a jaw full of Red Man.
Warren, could you please name me some of those luxury cigarettes brands available in the market

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
The underlying assumption, here -- which is understandable -- is that, if tobacco smoke can offer complex flavors, then those flavors can be "paired" with food and drink in the same way that food and drink can be paired with each other.

Understandable as this assumption may be, it misses that food and drink are solids and liquids which are ingested, whereas smoke is just flavored air which we waft over our tongues. "Flavor" is experienced very differently in these two categories, and it's not a foregone conclusion that they can complement each other like food and drink can.

Food and drink exist to nourish us, but they taste good on the way down just because God loves us.

Whereas smoke exists to smell good (incense, etc.), but we've discovered that, due to the physiological link between smell and taste, we like to take some smoke into our mouths.

So, although we speak of "flavor" for both categories, they're really two very different things. Most of us have not found that smoke and food, or smoke and drink, "pair" in this way.

(A minority do think that they experience complementary "pairings" with smoke. Good for them.)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Wait, you guys don't smoke while eating? Buncha amateurs! puffy
LOL I remember as a kid there was a large family restaurant that my parents would take us to. It was a great place with great food. There was a smoking and non-smoking section, and being my parents didn't smoke we would sit in the non-smoking section. Though there were times where the restaurant was full and we would have to sit in the smoking section. I remember people eating their food and puffing on the cigarettes between bites. I always thought that was weird.

Either it enhanced their meal, or they enjoyed their cigarettes that much, or they were just that addicted to their cigarettes that they couldn't wait until after their meal. Which one I couldn't say, but still thought it was weird. LOL

As for me, if I want a strong cigar I'll have it after I have a hearty meal. Otherwise it's a free-for-all.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore