Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Title edited for caps. See Rule 9.

I'm wondering: We have a different wine or other drinks complimenting different food.

Which would fit regarding to tabacco. As pipe tabacco is nearly or as fine as vine what do you like after a certain food?

Any preferences? What you prefer after lets say chicken , steak, pasta anf so on :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I wouldn't deign to complicate such a simple pleasure as the pipe by doing that. I select the blend I want and smoke it. Usually that blend is what's closest at hand.
Totally understandable answer. Although most tabacco taste the best with a full stomach.
Also the forum talks a lot about flavours , pipe forms material of the pipe and so on.
Blenders take a lot of time to make masterpieces as a vinery does.
I don't see it as getting more complicated but bringing tabacco to the same stage as wine has in our culture.
;)
But again it's completely individual as hobby should be.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Cigs all day long. Pipe when I have time to relax. After the breakfast, if I have breakfast, don't feel like kicking back. Lunch, usually something going on. Dinner, too dak outside. If I have time, it's around 15:00 - 17:00. So never associated with any meal.

Reactions: JOHN72 and wernerat

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Cigs all day long. Pipe when I have time to relax. After the breakfast, if I have breakfast, don't feel like kicking back. Lunch, usually something going on. Dinner, too dak outside. If I have time, it's around 15:00 - 17:00. So never associated with any meal.
Also sadly my problem to change completely from cigarettes to pipe...
Although after smoking a pipe cigarette taste like gasoline....
I probably need some pipe tabacco which gives me a harder nic hit so I can reduce cigarettes even more.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Also sadly my problem to change completely from cigarettes to pipe...
I probably need some pipe tabacco which gives me a harder nic hit so I can reduce cigarettes even more.
I've been smoking cig for 43 years. It's what it is. I like it too much. Tried to quit and did quit once or twice, but it fits that space pipe and occasional cigars leave open. Every hour, on the hour!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I probably need some pipe tabacco(sic) which gives me a harder nic hit so I can reduce cigarettes even more.
Or, you could try some of the luxury cigarettes brands in addition to the pipe. That way you can enjoy both. Perhaps add cigars a another nicotine delivery system.

I often smoke a pipe on an empty stomach, during a meal and so forth. But, pipes are not a hobby for me, the are a nicotine delivery system, as are cigars, cigarettes and a jaw full of Red Man.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I enjoy different tobacco and alcoholic and no alcoholic beverages paired here and there but haven't really consciously paired after-dinner smokes with certain foods.
Though I have been toying with the idea of taking notes here and there that include everything that went in my gullet on the daily to see if certain pairings whether smoke, beverages,foods, create WOW smokes...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've a sample of Bob's Chocolate Flake I'm enjoying lately. But it could easily be paired with coffee before breakfast in the am as well as after dinner, in my world. So while I do partake some wine along those lines of discrimination, I haven't transferred that over to pipe tobacco. Yet.

Reactions: JOHN72

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I honestly can't imagine how this information is useful, but I'll contribute - and if someone calls my post useless, I won't argue, lol.

Nothing I do with a pipe has anything to do with food, other than I don't eat while I enjoy a bowl, and I don't eat immediately before enjoying a bowl, because if I do, I don't enjoy a bowl! So I guess kind of like mom making me wait at least an hour after lunch back in the summer days of my very young life before dropping me off at the pool (of course, her favorite soap was on at 1, haha --- if my Dad ate quick and went back to work early, I had a small chance, but usually not until at least 2 pm).

• Love
Reactions: SBC

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I'll rock against theme and say that I like stronger blends after supper, so I reach for anything with Kentucky or Burley in it vs a Latakia. I don't though worry as much about flavor profiles vs food.

However I could go this route:

Navy after a meal with fish
Vaperbur after a full meat and potatoes
If with drinks then I typically go Virginia blends
Coffee/breakfast is really dependent on the following activity but I find English blends suite my palate earlier in the day.

Reactions: yanoJL and JOHN72

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
For me it depends on what I ate or perhaps my mood.

If I ate a very heavy meal, like the one I did last night, I want a strong blend to follow it up. If I ate a lighter meal, suppose grilled fish & couscous, I may prefer a lighter Virginia blend.

I may just be craving my favorite blend or I might want to pull out a blend I hadn't smoked for a while. That could change if I have a drink afterwards, and it could change based on what I'm drinking... coffee, tea, stout, or whiskey.

You'll eventually develop a taste for what you enjoy. For me, it usually involves Burley. Sláinte!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I m wondering. We have a different wine or other drinks complimenting different food.

Which would fit regarding to tabacco. As pipe tabacco is nearly or as fine as vine what do you like after a certain food?

Any preferences? What you prefer after lets say chicken , steak, pasta anf so on :)
Food and wine pairing is a "serious" pastime for me and my mates and much thought and planning goes into our lunches and dinners, often weeks beforehand.

Smoking a pipe for me, on the other hand, is meant to be relaxing.
I like it to be as spontaneous as possible.
Definitely not angst inducing.
So NO, I don't overthink what I'm going to smoke.
I prefer to go on a whim.

If I'm having a smoke after a fine meal, then it's usually a cigar paired with a vintage port, cognac or rum/Rhum