PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Raisedbands

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
New York
It’s funny how some of us think similarly. The Dunhill Unique that I purchased on eBay many years ago, has treated me well “a thing of beauty is a joy forever”. The soft flame it exudes is almost as good as using a match. (Butane, of course is key). I have always gotten a kick out of when others try to use it at first; they have trouble because it is a British, horizontal strike. It is true that it is bitterly expensive to rebuild it. I sent it out and it cost more than the (used) lighter originally cost me! In recent years, I bought the copy of it; the Corona old boy fourth generation through Peterson pipes, to take the load off the Dunhill. It is of solid (Japanese) structure. I like the traditional brown leather, because it has a psychosomatic effect on me, drawing me toward the tobacco, or reminding me of it, even when I am not smoking. As mentioned, I also can’t overstate the importance of using very very high quality, expensive, fine butane for these types of lighters (I’ve used Dunhill). Cheap fuel messes them up really quick. image.jpg

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I’ve got a good amount of lighters for pipes and cigars but of the nicer ones… Kiribi is what I started with. Affordable and I’ve been happy with them but had a few issues. I finally got an IM Corona Old Boy and blown away about how much tighter everything is. It truly lights every single time. I just got a second off eBay this time. Looks to be good shape but hasn’t shown yet. I haven’t had Dunhill or Peterson or other brands but so impressed with Corona. I got a Buffalo leather slip case off etsy for 25 bucks and it was money well spent. It slides in so easily and molded to it. So much so I am now trying my hand at making them myself for fun. Just wanted to mention the cases as they’re handy if going out or camping etc where you want to keep it a bit safer. I’m curious about the other brands though. Mostly on a total lack of ability to save money and need to try everything. :)

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
It’s funny how some of us think similarly. The Dunhill Unique that I purchased on eBay many years ago, has treated me well “a thing of beauty is a joy forever”. The soft flame it exudes is almost as good as using a match. (Butane, of course is key). I have always gotten a kick out of when others try to use it at first; they have trouble because it is a British, horizontal strike. It is true that it is bitterly expensive to rebuild it. I sent it out and it cost more than the (used) lighter originally cost me! In recent years, I bought the copy of it; the Corona old boy fourth generation through Peterson pipes, to take the load off the Dunhill. It is of solid (Japanese) structure. I like the traditional brown leather, because it has a psychosomatic effect on me, drawing me toward the tobacco, or reminding me of it, even when I am not smoking. As mentioned, I also can’t overstate the importance of using very very high quality, expensive, fine butane for these types of lighters (I’ve used Dunhill). Cheap fuel messes them up really quick. View attachment 229919
That set up is a dream. Very stylish!! Makes everything more like a celebration. Congrats to it!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have a Kiribi Mikazuki. I like it, same style as an IM Corona Old Boy as far as the lighting and function is concerned. One thing that bothers me about it though is when you flip the top closed, the cut out on the end piece rubs the tube that holds the flint just slightly. That's what I would expect of a budget lighter, not a luxury lighter, and I would definitely consider an $80 lighter to be a luxury lighter despite the fact that there are others that are $120-220. But other than that little thing, it's a solid lighter and works great so far (had it a few months now).

That said, it works great and is consistent. Though, I really like that IM Corona Old Boy Arabesque Silver. I had saved it on my wishlist on SP and planned to buy it the next time tobacco I wanted was on sale or needed to order something else. The other day, I went to look at it again and sold out. Now there's a 10% off tobacco and 15% off sale on everything else sale and it's out of stock. That's just my luck. I signed up for an e-mail notification for when back in stock, crossing my fingers it comes in before this 4th of July sale ends. 🤞

Raisedbands

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
New York
I have a Kiribi Mikazuki. I like it, same style as an IM Corona Old Boy as far as the lighting and function is concerned. One thing that bothers me about it though is when you flip the top closed, the cut out on the end piece rubs the tube that holds the flint just slightly. That's what I would expect of a budget lighter, not a luxury lighter, and I would definitely consider an $80 lighter to be a luxury lighter despite the fact that there are others that are $120-220. But other than that little thing, it's a solid lighter and works great so far (had it a few months now).

That said, it works great and is consistent. Though, I really like that IM Corona Old Boy Arabesque Silver. I had saved it on my wishlist on SP and planned to buy it the next time tobacco I wanted was on sale or needed to order something else. The other day, I went to look at it again and sold out. Now there's a 10% off tobacco and 15% off sale on everything else sale and it's out of stock. That's just my luck. I signed up for an e-mail notification for when back in stock, crossing my fingers it comes in before this 4th of July sale ends. 🤞
Always the way how things move and change, often to a disadvantage. I’m sure you’ve thought of this but if it were me, I wouldn’t miss the tobacco sale…there has to be a place that sells that OB Arabesque and ships for free, no?

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Always the way how things move and change, often to a disadvantage. I’m sure you’ve thought of this but if it were me, I wouldn’t miss the tobacco sale…there has to be a place that sells that OB Arabesque and ships for free, no?
Maybe, and I have seen it other places but listed for a lot more ($220 as opposed to I think it was $180 on SP), but if I order it elsewhere, that won't count towards my spending on SP.

It's not that big of a deal. Honestly, sales to me are good for two things... stocking up on what I love, and getting things I might be interested in but never had before. Like, if I get something new and hate it, it hurts less when I didn't pay full price for it.

And I don't really NEED that lighter. I want it, will probably order it when it's in-stock again regardless of any sales and just throw a few other things in I can stock up on that even if I have plenty now, I will need more later... like pipe cleaners for example.

Reactions: Raisedbands

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Plus, I like to spread my purchasing out. It's easier just to tell myself to live on $180/week and stick to that rather than going "well, I can spend $260 this week and just not spend more than $100 next week".

I actually have some of what my wife likes to refer to as "free money" coming soon, hopefully within the next month. When I get money like that, I like to spend half or less on luxuries I don't need (if there's any I want at the time) and put the other half or more into the proverbial coffee can buried in the back yard. Anyway, I was waiting on that to come in before buying the lighter and a few other things.

Reactions: Raisedbands

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would recommend Kiribi. Similar to Corona Old Boy but more durable.
Several years ago, unknown gentleman at the late, great Christopher Morley Pipe Club gifted me a new Kiribi. It has been problem free, my 2nd most dependable lighter. First in line is the IM Corona Old Boy, only because I’ve had it much longer. That said, my favorite lighter is the Dunhill Rollagas, The silver version just feels so good in the hand. A have several of them, and the #1 problem is deteriorated o-rings, which are user serviceable. The ST du Pont lighters are reliable when maintained and are also quite beautiful. The Chinese ST duPont lighters are completely reliable, very well made and enjoyable to hold.

IMG_5665.jpeg

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
Vintage Dunhill Rollagas! They are really classy looking and feeling, and can be had for relatively cheap on Ebay. I particularly like their weight. For such a small lighter, they make beautiful paperweights when not lighting your pipe.

Reactions: Theo.ry

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
I’ve got a good amount of lighters for pipes and cigars but of the nicer ones… Kiribi is what I started with. Affordable and I’ve been happy with them but had a few issues. I finally got an IM Corona Old Boy and blown away about how much tighter everything is. It truly lights every single time. I just got a second off eBay this time. Looks to be good shape but hasn’t shown yet. I haven’t had Dunhill or Peterson or other brands but so impressed with Corona. I got a Buffalo leather slip case off etsy for 25 bucks and it was money well spent. It slides in so easily and molded to it. So much so I am now trying my hand at making them myself for fun. Just wanted to mention the cases as they’re handy if going out or camping etc where you want to keep it a bit safer. I’m curious about the other brands though. Mostly on a total lack of ability to save money and need to try everything. :)
Really awesome little setup you've got there. Where did you find the stand/box?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have tried several,im corona old boy,zippo,kiribi and although the zippo always works I couldnt get the hang of lighting with it (my problem,lots dont have a problem).
I have settled on a Dunhill Rollagas pipe model picked up for around 120 GBP on fleabay.
works every time,lights my pipe mostly with ease (except GH flakes which take a little more work ) :)

or these,the most luxurious of all lighters
View attachment 228426
100%. The Swiss-made Dunhill Rollagas lighters with the side flame adjustment wheel are my favorite. I have both a Kiribi-like dual port, right-angle-flamed cigar lighter and a cigarette lighter that I recently converted to a pipe lighter. Super reliable and relatively easy to service. But the best part is the quick side adjustment wheel. I light with the flame low, but if I need to relight far down the bowl, it’s quick and easy to increase the flame. Both of mine are from the 1990s.

I have Kiribi, IM Corona, IM Corona Double Corona, Xicar, Colibri, Vertigo, IMCO, Zippos, Beattie Jet, Nimrod, Djeep, Dissim and so forth. Since I got my first Rollagas, barely any of them have seen any use.

When I want the ultimate light, Swan Vestas are the best option, although I buy virtually identical matches from the same Swedish manufacturer at my local grocery store.