Which Famous Blends Have You Never Tried?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
For a number of years, I have had a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced. A couple months ago, my family had to return the town I grew up in. I took only one pipe and the tin of Orlik. This is a wonderful blend for me. As I was smoking with my nephew, I gave a flake to try. He started raving on how good it was. Thus, I handed him the rest of the tin.

The next tobacco order included OGS!

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Here in Brazil we don't have easy access to much. Every famous blend that you guys are lucky to take for granted is equally hard to find around these parts, more or less... So it's a long list for me.

Having said that, it's funny but I'm also sitting on a tin of Escudo for the past five years. I don't care too much about VA or Vapers in general, so I'm not too much in a rush to crack that one open.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here in Brazil we don't have easy access to much. Every famous blend that you guys are lucky to take for granted is equally hard to find around these parts, more or less... So it's a long list for me.

Having said that, it's funny but I'm also sitting on a tin of Escudo for the past five years. I don't care too much about VA or Vapers in general, so I'm not too much in a rush to crack that one open.
well you're in luck cause that's an awesome blend. Some blends the category doesn't matter as much, why because they're so much their own thing. Well Escudo is one of those. There is something kind of perfect about it in some inexplicable way. Might not be your favorite but there will be something to enjoy about it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a great feeling about but. I like waiting too. I think the saddest thing in tobacco fandom is the person that tries everything right away yet knows no blends because they've never sat with them long enough. Saw that more with snuff. Someone that has bought and snuffed a few pinches of everything available. It's better to stretch the experience out. Or at least I think. Also see the same thing with tattoos. Which reminds me it's been too long since I've gotten one. (most of what I want next is going to be expensive.)
Oh almost forgot. The presbytarian really gives me this feeling it has a good shot at being like Escudo for example and I hate not being able to buy it in bulk.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have a great feeling about but. I like waiting too. I think the saddest thing in tobacco fandom is the person that tries everything right away yet knows no blends because they've never sat with them long enough. Saw that more with snuff. Someone that has bought and snuffed a few pinches of everything available. It's better to stretch the experience out. Or at least I think. Also see the same thing with tattoos. Which reminds me it's been too long since I've gotten one. (most of what I want next is going to be expensive.)
You are right about this. For the first few months I was smoking a new blend with every bowl. Once I started to revisit some of the ones I liked more often, I found that I appreciated them even more. That is part of what has led to so many notable tins remaining sealed! Hahaha. That and I am completely out of space for more jars.... :ROFLMAO:

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
well you're in luck cause that's an awesome blend. Some blends the category doesn't matter as much, why because they're so much their own thing. Well Escudo is one of those. There is something kind of perfect about it in some inexplicable way. Might not be your favorite but there will be something to enjoy about it.

I'm sure you're right. I was a fan of VAs from McC which all seemed to be just like what you described there. I'll remember that when I finally try my Escudo for the first time.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lots of them. And I don't worry about it. I don't chase hard to find blends, I don't smoke blends that I know are not my cuppa. When one knows that one's tolerance for perique is very low, for example, why bother to try perique heavy blends?

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Enjoyed reading this thread a lot. I still haven't tried most famous blends aside from Orlik Golden Sliced and PS Luxury Bullseye Flake which I really enjoy.

I missed the boat on McClelland Va's aside from being able to buy some Butera Royal Vintage right as the craze was happening when McClelland announced their closing. I bought 2 tins with the idea that it would be the closest I'd get to trying the 5100, or 40th Anniversary Flake that I read so much about. They're in a jar for a day when I feel like I really know what I'm doing with flake tobacco. I managed to get Frog Morton Cellar, and On The Town and they were good. I didn't find them to knock my pants off like a lot of people claim. Had I known, I just would have tried to find and buy more Va's and Balkans from McClelland.

Out of the perceived famous blends that are still readily available, I'm most excited to try Escudo, Presbyterian, Old Dark Fired, Solani ABF or HH Burley Flake, Capstan Blue, Balkan Sobranie, and Tabac Manil Semois. HU blends are very intriguing too.

Would like to try SPC Potlatch, Mississippi River & Plum Pudding but I just find them too expensive when there's other blenders like GLP available. Not interested in chasing Esoterica or SG/GH or anything hard to get like that, at least for now. Never was that interested in Nightcap, EMP, or 965. Available funds is also a barrier, especially now. Will get around to it in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.