Which Famous Blends Have You Never Tried?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
New Accessories
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Most of their 50 gr tins sell for around $11. Some of their special reserve stuff $14 to $18. That's still less than $1 per bowl. I assume you don't smoke cigars?
Used to. Still have one every once in a blue moon, but mostly quit, and just for that reason! ?
Most of the SPC blends I like go for around $16-$18 for a two ounce tin. Compared to cigars, no that’s not expensive, but still... every time I put a few tins of Plum Pudding or something in my cart, all I can think about is the fact that I could pick up so many more tins of damn good tobacco from GLP or something. I know, I’m a cheapskate.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Hundreds, including all of the american blends, Esoterica, HU, Condor, Erinmore, Ennerdale, Savinelli, the list is endless.
Considering that Capstan Blue has been one of my favorites for years, Capstan Yellow is probably the most notable absentee of them all.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Used to. Still have one every once in a blue moon, but mostly quit, and just for that reason! ?
Most of the SPC blends I like go for around $16-$18 for a two ounce tin. Compared to cigars, no that’s not expensive, but still... every time I put a few tins of Plum Pudding or something in my cart, all I can think about is the fact that I could pick up so many more tins of damn good tobacco from GLP or something. I know, I’m a cheapskate.
They’re worth it IMO, some really fine blends. But, to each their own. If you wait for sales you can actually get them quite cheap. I have an 8oz tin of SPC Potlatch I bought last year from P&C for $15.99. Never bought any GLP that cheap ;)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hundreds, including all of the american blends, Esoterica, HU, Condor, Erinmore, Ennerdale, Savinelli, the list is endless.
Considering that Capstan Blue has been one of my favorites for years, Capstan Yellow is probably the most notable absentee of them all.
Still have never had condor myself! Always been intrigued by it, but the whole OG vs Polish thing and finding a source and what not.....just havent followed through. I’m sure I will at some point.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Too many!

Most of the blends that I try end up being a one-time order. I don't smoke all that much these days, so I like to spend more time enjoying what I like rather than experiment with new-to-me blends. That said, it is always exciting to find a "new" loved blend to enjoy, so I try to stay open to ordering blends that would fall within my known preferences.

Taking the above into account, I definitely need to try SPC Plum Pudding this Fall. I would also like to try some more Va/Per blends, as I really love Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Also would like to try some Rattray's Virginia blends, as well as some more SG Virginia flakes given how much I love Full Virginia Flake.

Reactions: Jacob74 and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sent my first unopened tin of Escudo as thanks to a member who sent me my first meer pipe, an estate, and never replaced the tin. But there are many others I never bought -- 1792, Condor, John Cotton and scores of others. On the other hand, I've smoked a long list of famous and less-known blends, so it doesn't worry me a bit. Right now, everything I hanker to try I have on hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've tried matches to some famous blends I haven't tried in person, but I have found them quite different when I have also tasted the original. That doesn't matter, since sometimes I prefer the match (so-called) to the original. Not to be contrary, but the relative fame of a blend doesn't predict how I will like it. Some famous blends I like a lot, and some unknown blends I like just as much. So I pretty much have to try them for myself. I kind of like it when an unknown blend is delicious ... and remains unknown, and remains available.

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
They’re worth it IMO, some really fine blends. But, to each their own. If you wait for sales you can actually get them quite cheap. I have an 8oz tin of SPC Potlatch I bought last year from P&C for $15.99. Never bought any GLP that cheap ;)
Yep. That’s exactly what I do. Wait for the sales on them. They have a few blends I haven’t tried yet. Galloping Gertie, Mississippi River, and Potlatch are the main ones I haven’t tried yet, but would like to. Big fan of Hood Canal and the Plum Puddings.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've tried matches to some famous blends I haven't tried in person, but I have found them quite different when I have also tasted the original. That doesn't matter, since sometimes I prefer the match (so-called) to the original. Not to be contrary, but the relative fame of a blend doesn't predict how I will like it. Some famous blends I like a lot, and some unknown blends I like just as much. So I pretty much have to try them for myself. I kind of like it when an unknown blend is delicious ... and remains unknown, and remains available.
Amen to that! Definitely some great matches out there that beat the originals. And yes, keeping them a secret is always a selfish temptation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.