PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Best bang for your buck is Buffalo Trace. If you want to venture a little higher in price and quality I recommend Four Roses Single Barrel.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
If you go on a search for rye, and you like a bit of a spice note, I suggest keeping and eye out for (ri)1 Straight Rye Whiskey. It can be a bit tricky to track down, here in my part of the states, but well worth it. When I can locate it, I usually pick up several bottles at a time. It makes a wonderful Sazerac.
Once again, this is just my personal taste, ymmv.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I'm fond of all bourbons! I reach for different ones on different occasions. Jim Beam is a great mixing bourbon, a bourbon and coke or an old fashioned, but it is also quite sipable. Buffalo Trace is great for sipping and has a great full taste. Four Roses is another that I will take straight. My all time go to though is Wild Turkey 101 it just strikes a balance for my taste and I can use it anyway that strikes me. Non of these are boutique or top line bourbons but all are fine examples.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Makers Mark, Jim Beam or Wild Turkey in that order, straight in a glass, no ice, mix, or anything that may water it down

laearl

Lurker
Oct 12, 2010
Lower Alabama
I like Bulleit Rye

bulleit95rye.JPG

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
When I drink Scotch or rum I prefer it with just a splash of water. First things first though, I need to see if I actually like the taste of bourbon though I'm pretty certain I will take to it. Knob Creek and Wild Turkey are on my shopping list.
55 years old and never had bourbon, rye whiskey, never eaten a bagel or corn bread, never even eaten pumpkin and only last week did I try maple syrup for the first time in my life!!!
Sad but true :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You've never had a corn dog, either, I bet! Or "brats"! Or grilled artichokes! Or a whole Maine lobster...
We can buy Shepherd's pies in supermarkets, but it ain't the same as you have.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
55 years old and never had bourbon, rye whiskey, never eaten a bagel or corn bread, never even eaten pumpkin and only last week did I try maple syrup for the first time in my life!!!
No wonder the UK is such a dreary place! :(

Then again, you have access to authentic shepherd's/cottage pie, Irish whiskey, and Scotch. So, at least you can stay warm on those bitter, dark days.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I saw above that someone mentioned Bookers....I would like to second that, if it is available. Knob Creek and Makers Mark, as others have mentioned, are solid choices. Woodford Reserve as well.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Wild Turkey 101 ... used to love that mule. :wink:
I've enjoyed Blanton's Single Barrel and Jim Beam Black, though admittedly I'm more of a single malt or rye sipper (lately, more of a vino or suds sipper). Can't argue with a lot of good suggestions above, though. I can't say I met a Bourbon I totally didn't like.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Something to add, that I forgot to mention. I was taught to taste it through my nose first, before sipping. If aiming to enjoy the flavor, that is; before that first sip, hold your glass to your nose, mouth open, and inhale, much like other whiskies. There is often a lot the tongue alone misses, and most people I know overlook bourbon, dismissing it as simple and without nuance.
Sorry if I come off as a snob there, just a detail I had to be taught. Apologies if I'm twlling you something you already knew, also. Cheers!

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
George Dickell makes some good American whiskey for cheap. I also really like Clyde May's. No idea about UK availability for either.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You've never had a corn dog, either, I bet! Or "brats"! Or grilled artichokes! Or a whole Maine lobster..."
I've never had part of a Maine lobster let alone a whole one nor ever had goldfish pie either...you know, the one in the song...
"Jambalaya, goldfish pie, file gumbo"
...goldfish pie indeed :nana:
Hands up anyone who has had a traditional Cornish pastie or starry gazey pie?
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have, in fact, had the pasties. They are very popular in parts of Montana, where scads of Cornish miners settled to work the copper mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.