PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
A dirty little secret of mine is that my favorite grocery store coffee is whole bean Starbucks Sumatra. Otherwise, I try to avoid anything Starbucks if at all possible.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Sadly I am not really into different types of coffee. As in I don't particularly like coffee or it's taste. It's about the caffeine for me. That said I occasionally enjoy a coffee a lot but that is rare and short lived (if I drink the same coffee for too long it loses a lot of charm). Now tea that is a different story. I usually start with whatever esspresso grind I have in my moka pot after it's brewed I cut it with water. Then I start thinking about which tea I would enjoy brew a few cups of loose leaf tea and reusing the leafs for two or three more cups (some teas taste best after being brewed once or twice, especially some oolongs).

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I started using Stauf's the first week they opened back in '89. Their selection of coffee and roast are second to no one. Spent many an extended lunch hour or two there.
Staufs

And where is Stauf's? Sounds good.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I brew our coffee, my wife's French press, but for me, always stove-top percolator. Maybe it doesn't taste different, but it does to me. When I first mentioned that on Forums, one of the members responded, "Dad, is that you?"

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another vote for French Press, and the Aeropress for travel, light to medium blends.
For espresso, it's Italian or French roasted bean in this house.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
As a GERD sufferer who is on omeprazole for life, coffee is still a problem. Recently I ordered some Malia Ohana Kona and it hasn't given me any problems. It's a bit on the pricey side, but I only drink one cup in the morning, so price is not the driving factor. Worth a try if you have stomach issues.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
And where is Stauf's? Sounds good.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth.

My post had a link to their website..

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
I used to be in the habit of roasting my own coffee (heat gun, dog bowl, wooden spoon), but I fell off that horse a couple of years ago. I spent twenty minutes a week on roasting, and had great coffee every day. Now it's mainly K-cups (pretty good), but I find myself wanting to get back on that horse. I suppose that might save some space in the landfill, too.

@troutface if you haven't tried cold brewing your coffee, I highly recommend it. The process extracts a lot less acid than a hot brew (up to 2/3rds), and the resulting brew is good for 2 weeks in the fridge in an airtight glass container. For hot coffee, just add hot water, but I like it best cold with some simple syrup and milk. It's also the best way to put coffee in coffee ice cream.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
A dirty little secret of mine is that my favorite grocery store coffee is whole bean Starbucks Sumatra. Otherwise, I try to avoid anything Starbucks if at all possible.
Starbucks Sumatra is one of only two blends I purchase. The other blend, and my favorite, is Christmas blend. Bought 17 bags this year. Have you tried Christmas blend? Why do you try to avoid Starbucks?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Why do you try to avoid Starbucks?
I find coffee house prices in general to be off-putting but throw in their political activism and it tends to have an alienating effect, at least on me - about all I can say on that. But hey, love that Sumatra and usually grab a pound or 2 a month when we run out of the Caribou, so it's not like I'm boycotting them or anything. I haven't tried the Christmas blend. What's it like? Sounds like you find it somewhat hoard worthy.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I find coffee house prices in general to be off-putting but throw in their political activism and it tends to have an alienating effect, at least on me - about all I can say on that. But hey, love that Sumatra and usually grab a pound or 2 a month when we run out of the Caribou, so it's not like I'm boycotting them or anything. I haven't tried the Christmas blend. What's it like? Sounds like you find it somewhat hoard worthy.
Christmas blend is made with aged Sumatra along with coffees from Colombia, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia. Hard for me to describe what it tastes like but I would say it's smoother due to the aged Sumatra. Give it a try.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Perhaps I will. Anyone who buys 17 bags is a real fan. I'll put on a disguise and sneak into the nearest Starbucks and grab a bag or 2. Better yet, I'll send my wife in. :col:

• Haha
Reactions: Spa32
Status
Not open for further replies.