PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Are you, as a pipe smoker just as discerning as to which coffees blends you drink as you are in the tobaccos you smoke?
I'm just curious as to what coffees you enjoy. I drink four to five cups a day and more during the Winter.
Having spent 50 years in New Orleans where a lot of coffee is blended that comes through the port and then package, I've been exposed to a good variety. Having moved to Cajun Country in 2005 (Katrina refugee)choices are limited and fairly bland compared to my hometown. For instance, Community Coffee is the big seller here. It's OK, I do drink some of their Dark Roast. But, I much prefer RT Coffee and Chicory with my second choice being French Market Dark Roast as well as CDM Dark or with Chicory.
What about you?

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
My wife and I like to cruise once a year down in the Caribbean and we're both heavy coffee drinkers. When we're on vacation down there we like to try some of the Caribbean, Central American, and South American blends. Of course in the Caribbean most folks rave about Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and we've tried it and it was certainly good but I don't think it is necessarily as good as they hype it up to be. While visiting Roatan off the coast of Honduras we discovered Honduran grown coffee and really enjoyed it. It was a dark roast and full of flavor. Unfortunately I can't recall the grower but we've made several cruise stops on Roatan over the years while cruising the Western Caribbean and we always stock up on it when we're in port. Back in the States, my wife usually stocks up on World Market coffee beans from Central and South America as well as Africa. We always buy whole beans and grind them ourselves. While I do like the dark roast Honduran coffee, typically dark roasts are a little bitter to my palette and I prefer more of a medium roast myself.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I like both the Costa Rican and Honduran coffees. I've spent some time down there in the past fishing on the eastern side. They are really into their dark roast so, I felt at home. Excellent food too, especially the way they grill the fish in banana leaves.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Hm, you all put me to shame on coffee variety. I probably have never come close to what has been considered "good" coffee, but Trader Joe's has a blend that I am a huge fan of and always make a point to pick up when I'm in the Triangle area. Locally, there is a little shop whose house beans are great, in my opinion. They get the job done for the majority of my mornings.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Saint007,
I am certainly a coffee addict, and tend to drink the following blends mostly:
-Starbucks: French Roast- Intense and Smoky

-Starbucks: Italian Roast- Dark

-Maxwell House "100% Colombian"- Medium Dark

-Folgers- Medium Dark

-Starbucks Cafe Verona- Medium Dark
*I generally stay away from any "Light Roast" (just terrible)
As much as I do love drinking coffee, I do not blend it with pipe smoking. Mostly for health reasons. :puffy:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Fortunately for serious coffee drinkers, there are a number of excellent roasters located in North Anerica who source the best beans, roast them in small quantities, and ship them speedily to customers who insist on having a premium cup of coffee.

Here are a few rules to follow if you want excellence in coffee:

Keep in mind the "Rule of 15"

Coffee should be roasted within 15 months of harvest

Coffee should be consumed within 15 days of roasting.

Coffee should be consumed within 15 minutes of grinding. (Some say 15 seconds :) )

Don't buy at the supermarket.

Purchase your coffee from a small batch roaster. Some, but by no means an exhaustive list: George Howell, Intelligentsia, Detour (for Canadians), Counter Culture. There are literally hundreds--and that's really good news, because it means that coffees are being truly sourced by expert buyers, brought home and roasted and delivered to the customer with the appropriate alacrity and concern for quality. Check out www.coffeereview.com for a list of what's hot right now. If you want to sample coffees in small quantities, try www.craftcoffee.com. Every month they send out a package containing three samples if some top grade coffees--enough to make 12-15 cups or so, along with a description of the coffee's source, and ordering information if you fall in love with the coffee.

Remember that coffee is a highly volatile, agricultural product, so the coffee that you fall in love with today won't be available in three months – in fact, possibly until the season rolls around another year.

Buy whole beans only!

Corollary to this rule: you will notice that the top roasters do not sell flavored coffees. If you wish to drink a flavored coffee, add the flavoring after you have brewed the cup.

Grind your beans fresh for each cup, grinding only as much as you will drink right now. Don't let brewed coffee sit for hours.

Invest in a good quality burr grinder. (Baratza is a good one, though by no means the only one out there.). I can't over emphasize the importance of having the right kind of grinder, because nothing will spoil a cup of coffee faster than unevenly ground beans.

Use filtered water.

Under no circumstances should you make coffee in a percolator.

Don't buy one of the readily available commercial coffee brewers, such as a Mr. Coffee, etc. They cannot brew a good cup of coffee, and there are certain physical reasons for this. If you do wish to have a brewing machine, buy a Technivorm, although it's somewhat pricey, and somewhat less expensive, the Bonavita.

A French press is inexpensive and will produce a great cup of coffee. So will the Chemex, the Melita, and the Hario V – 60. The Aeropress is also quite good.

Heat your water to 200-205F.

Measure your coffee carefully, I prefer weighing it out by the gram, because coffees have different densities and using a tablespoon is rather imprecise.

Brew your coffee according to your method of choice, sit back and enjoy a truly great cup of coffee.

While all this may seem somewhat complex and complicated, it really isn't and is certainly worth the trouble you go to.

Reactions: Jwebb90

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
This may sound boring, but we buy Costco's whole bean Kirkland brand coffee (roasted by Starbucks). I have found it to be extremely consistent - no surprises, which is how I like it.
We grind it fresh each morning and use a french press. I've tried other brands, but for me, this one tastes great and is very reliable.

Reactions: anotherbob

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
There is a little coffee shop on my way to the office that offers deep roast French Press. Hard to beat but at home, I go for something a bit easier. I will French Drip coffee and then add some Half and Half for a Cafe au Lait.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
I love coffee. And I miss being able to explore the coffee hobby more. But, when you're as broke as we are, you can only afford one hobby. In the meantime, I've become a connoisseur of Instant Coffees. :lol:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Colorduke said
Nothing fancy here,Maxwell House,Chase&Sanbourn and Chock full o nuts.

On this forum we make it a rule never to criticize a member's taste in tobacco. Ditto for coffee. If some says he's been smoking drugstore tobaccos for 20 years and likes them, that's fine. We might offer him the opportunity to sample what we think are the better grades of tobacco, but if he's satisfied with his choice, we don't force our opinions on him. As with tobacco, there are better grades of coffee, but it's a matter of taste. If one is satisfied with Maxwell House, then please – by all means – disregard anything I have said about specialty coffees. You own your taste buds, and that really is the long and the short of it.
Best,

Eric

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I second the Deadman's Reach, its a velvet brick, smooth and hardhitting. I have never had a bad cup, no matter how weak or strong I make it.
I like full dark roasts, but Ive found lately a lot of offerings, unless you brew them to look like tea, are extremely acrid and sour. A friend gave me a new brand Dazbog, supposedly a Russian style coffee, that tasted so bitter, I'm sure its made from the ground up souls of former Politburo members.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I'm sure its made from the ground up souls of former Politburo members

:rofl:
I've also noticed a lot of dark roasts have that acrid taste - more isn't always better. Also on my "Less is More" list:
Latakia

Hops

Peat

Status
Not open for further replies.