PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Outside: Ground.
Porch: Ashtray. Then from ashtray to toilet.
Inside: Directly to toilet.

I once failed to flush the ash and dottle floating about the commode, and my youngest son, a wee lad, soon rushed to me in amazement, grabbed me by the hand, and led me to bathroom to show me what somebody did in the potty. His mouth was agape that such strangeness was excreted from one of his siblings.

I almost didn't have the heart to tell him that it was from my pipe.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I smoke cigarettes. As I learned in basic training, field strip the butt, put paper and filter in your pocket, toss in the proper receptacle. Or, spend an hour policing the flight's area plus any other extra duty the DI comes up with. It's not the cigarettes that are offensive. The offenders are simply the unthinking, uncaring, selfish boobs.
When smoking cigarettes, I do the same.

I observed a former military veteran "rub out" the lit cherry and step on it to put out the ember. She did this every time and it made sense.

When another asked her about it, the response was so that there was no trace in combat.

This "process" makes sense whether military or not.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas

I observed a former military veteran "rub out" the lit cherry and step on it to put out the ember. She did this every time and it made sense.

When another asked her about it, the response was so that there was no trace in combat.

Maybe some more experienced members could help out. I didn't smoke back in the 70's on Parris Island but recall getting online for a butt detail and also the lesson in, "field stripping." What was the purpose--ecology? I remember hearing from one Vietnam Vet DI teaching us that the enemy can smell us--cigs, food, etc. Was that true back in the day? Just wondering???

Aside--Butt detail, to me, seemed a lot like getting online for, "policing up our brass," at the range"--both meant walking in a line staring at the ground and picking shit up LOL :)
What say you more experienced Puffers who've seen the elephant and ridden the bull, back in the day?
kindly
mike

Reactions: JOHN72

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In basic the purpose of field stripping was to keep the flight/company area and all other places neat and clean. I remember painting rocks that were placed along walkways and such. Make work projects to blend the recruits into a unit.

In the presence of an enemy smoking is a good way of letting those down wind know you are about whether you're the predator or the prey. A trail of butts, is no different than ration wrappers, human waste, etc. for informing others your location or direction of travel. Do butts went into a pocket until they could be disposed of. Under fire? "smoke 'em if you got 'em and can do safely. The smell of smoke. insect repellent, etc. is another clue for the alert. Hell, I've known guys who could smell the bad guys from their body odor which is distinct due to diet. My nose wasn't that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I have a 1 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. Ash is dumped, the pipe is given a sharp exhale, I run a cleaner through the stem, turn the cleaner around and repeat, the cleaner is then doubled over and used to swab the bowl, and is then thrown in the bucket with the pipe ash. I empty it every few months.

Reactions: JOHN72

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I smoke cigarettes. As I learned in basic training, field strip the butt, put paper and filter in your pocket, toss in the proper receptacle. Or, spend an hour policing the flight's area plus any other extra duty the DI comes up with. It's not the cigarettes that are offensive. The offenders are simply the unthinking, uncaring, selfish boobs.
Selfish boobs are the worst. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Reggie

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Where do I dump my ashes?

In the toilet. I shut the lid quickly, let things settle and then flush it. But the real key is to make sure the wife doesn't see me do it. puffy

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania

This process makes your fingers and pants smell bad. No biggie to a soldier in the bush. As a civilian I have abandoned this practice

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
In basic the purpose of field stripping was to keep the flight/company area and all other places neat and clean. I remember painting rocks that were placed along walkways and such. Make work projects to blend the recruits into a unit.

In the presence of an enemy smoking is a good way of letting those down wind know you are about whether you're the predator or the prey. A trail of butts, is no different than ration wrappers, human waste, etc. for informing others your location or direction of travel. Do butts went into a pocket until they could be disposed of. Under fire? "smoke 'em if you got 'em and can do safely. The smell of smoke. insect repellent, etc. is another clue for the alert. Hell, I've known guys who could smell the bad guys from their body odor which is distinct due to diet. My nose wasn't that good.
I was told you can smell a cigarette 100 yards away. I am sensitive; I could smell a person who has recently had a cigarette from about that distance. A lot of seasoned soldiers obviously wont smoke during combat, the real old soldiers will cease smoking days before they anticipate being in “the shit” because cigarette smell lingers. Further, I’ve even heard of guys in Vietnam that switched to indigenous food, basically so the VC couldn’t smell the hamburger coming out their pores.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Lately Iv'e been keeping a 5Gal bucket half full of garden soil in the garage beside my smoking chair.
I figure it will make some decent fertilizer come spring.