PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I use a medium sized dark blue casserole pot with a lid.
Hardly ever empty it, as I like to see the evidence of all the great smokes I've had.
Love it! Geat idea. I like this method because the casserole can hold a lot. That's appealing to me since I use a 12 oz. can (which I painted blue for decoration) and I put an empty 2 oz tobacco tin on top (the ashes inside STINK! Some sort of lid is essential for me). Thanks for sharing!
kindly
mike

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I don't think pipe ash is offensive like cig butts, as it's biodegradable...
I read that the number of smokers has fallen a lot in the last 20 years but the number of discarded cigarette butts hasn't:-(
Suggesting that cigarette butts [the filters] don't decompose?

That's just bullshit propaganda from the shrieking anti-smoking brigade.

Before I ditched the filthy bungers for a pipe, for around nine years I smoked outside when my son was with me.
There was a decent pile of butts in the garden near my front door by the time I switched.

I paid little attention to that pile of butts until one day when weeding that area of the garden, I noticed that there was not a single butt nor any trace left.
Wondering if they'd become buried I dug several inches into the soil and found nothing.

What would have been hundreds, if not thousands of butts, magically disappeared. :eek:
Maybe the garden fairies cleaned them up?
Or, maybe they simply decomposed? [Yeah I really don't think the garden fairies had anything to do with it. I mean they couldn't care less about the neighbours cats shitting in the garden bed which is way more offensive than a pile of cigarette butts]

MidnightPuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2020
Ohio
Inside I use an "Al Capone branded" ashtray that I bought with my points I earned from smoking a shitload of Al Capone cigarillos. Outside I use a big ass flower pot, filled with pipe ash, Al Capone and cigarette butts. My father also uses the ashtray for his newports. Inside ashtray gets dumped every 2-3 days outside gets dumped weekly.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Anyone run into plumbing difficulties after dumping the residuals from a pipe into the toilet?

Yes, I mostly dump them on the lawn or a flower pot IF I'm outdoors and following a recent rain or indoors in my little tin can used for ashes. But standing in front of the toilet and all finished up--after making sure my trousers were secure--I thought, "Why not?" and fetched my pipe tool from my pocket and the dead pipe from my mouth and scraped the dottle and ashes in to the porcelain.

Then, after--I recall something I read about plumbing issues at a girl's school due to so many students there who suffer from anorexia and bulimia. Seems that, per this article I read, undigested food can cock up plumbing--news to me! Now I wonder about dottle?
kindly,
mike
ps--makes me wonder about an ancillary matter--anyone here smoke while doing their daily business on the porcelain throne, or in a hot bath? Both can be great places for reading and quiet contemplation--so I'v been told :)) LOL!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Suggesting that cigarette butts [the filters] don't decompose?

That's just bullshit propaganda from the shrieking anti-smoking brigade.

Before I ditched the filthy bungers for a pipe, for around nine years I smoked outside when my son was with me.
There was a decent pile of butts in the garden near my front door by the time I switched.

I paid little attention to that pile of butts until one day when weeding that area of the garden, I noticed that there was not a single butt nor any trace left.
Wondering if they'd become buried I dug several inches into the soil and found nothing.

What would have been hundreds, if not thousands of butts, magically disappeared. :eek:
Maybe the garden fairies cleaned them up?
Or, maybe they simply decomposed? [Yeah I really don't think the garden fairies had anything to do with it. I mean they couldn't care less about the neighbours cats shitting in the garden bed which is way more offensive than a pile of cigarette butts]
This always confused me. It's paper, and cotton. Two natural decomposable items yeah?

Anyhow, I have 7 ashtrays in the garage, but this is the one Ive been using.

PXL_20211012_033040545.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke cigarettes. As I learned in basic training, field strip the butt, put paper and filter in your pocket, toss in the proper receptacle. Or, spend an hour policing the flight's area plus any other extra duty the DI comes up with. It's not the cigarettes that are offensive. The offenders are simply the unthinking, uncaring, selfish boobs.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
There's a lot of unburned baccy there Didi. ^^^
I guess that's not an issue when tobacco is relatively cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
ps--makes me wonder about an ancillary matter--anyone here smoke while doing their daily business on the porcelain throne, or in a hot bath? Both can be great places for reading and quiet contemplation--so I'v been told :)) LOL!
When I smoked ciggies I couldn't [or wouldn't] have a dump without a smoke.

Smoking a pipe is entirely different. A cigarette gets flushed when it's finished.
If I smoked a pipe on the dunny I'd feel the need to sterilise it afterwards.

On the rare occasion when I had a free Saturday back in the day, I often smoked a big fat cigar in a hot bath with a bottle of port and a good book.
Smoking a pipe in the bath is another thing all together, basically because I need two hands to smoke [since I don't clench] It just would not be very comfortable.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I smoke cigarettes. As I learned in basic training, field strip the butt, put paper and filter in your pocket, toss in the proper receptacle. Or, spend an hour policing the flight's area plus any other extra duty the DI comes up with. It's not the cigarettes that are offensive. The offenders are simply the unthinking, uncaring, selfish boobs.
Thats how I do it in public if there's no garbage. I've forgotten many a cigarette butt in my pockets that have gone through the wash.

Reactions: warren