PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Often dump the ashes in my flower pot as others have stated but I usually just dump them down the kitchen sink, then clean them up. Some pipes I use the water flush technique, so it works out well, dump the ashes, flush the pipe, clean and dry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a small square ash tray that is a few inches deep that accepts all the ash from pipes and is ceramic hence doesn't start any fires. I have a tea cup without a handle, Japanese style, in which I put all my spent matches. However, not being a good housekeeper, some ash gets dusted around anyway and should be vacuumed and is occasionally dusted or swept. All the ash and matches go in the trash after they are long extinguished.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
. . . some ash gets dusted around anyway and should be vacuumed and is occasionally dusted or swept. All the ash and matches go in the trash after they are long extinguished.
YES--that's my keen interest! EXACTLY!!
I'm trying to keep my area clean on my, "smoking table," AND (stressing, "AND") free from unwanted flames (in the last few years I've set two coffee roasters on fire and one outdoor heavy plastic trash--in that instance, it was with smoldering ashes that went unnoticed with other trash & debris!).

Ok--tell me to get my head out of my ass when I empty the ashes/trash AND don't do it while drinking LOL!!

Plus, I don't want our German Shepherd siblings licking the smooth surfaced floor below my smoking area/table (indoors), garage floor below my work tables, and/or back patio concrete/rock surface since they actually have fairly delicate digestion (my job is to clean the yard or what I call, "tidying up the nursery" LOL).

As for dumping a pipe in the yard, I don't want a fire. After a rain, I don't mind. But here in Texas, the lawn can get dry sometimes :)

Common sense--yep! But again, having had 3 fires that surprised me (what's a "planned fire, "anyway?) I'm trying to be more careful!

Finally, I'm wondering if dark ash, smudges on clothes, and soot on fingers from time to time is fairly common among most or lots of pipe smokers? It occured to me that several of us may be a bit dingy or somewhat dirty in the eyes of our Beloveds' LOL!

kindly,
mike

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Usually in the lawn or flower bed or garage dustbin because I’m always smoking outside or in the garage.

Anyone here NOT dump ashes until the pipe is basically done? Wondering about common practices in this regard.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well, I am kind of a slob so it's pretty much everywhere. I generally smoke in the den but judging by the pile of ashes around me I am rather hit and miss when comes to dumping the ashes from my pipe. Being retired and only me and the wife, who smokes cigarettes, in the house generally means I can light up whenever I want.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I smoke outdoors in the street (or park). Trees have other uses than providing dogs with somewhere to pee; they come in handy for knocking out the ashes and I've yet to hear a tree complain about me tipping ashes over its roots.

Reactions: JOHN72

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I wanted to quip, I won't be around to dump my ashes. Someone else will have to do that. Some ashes get buried, which seems a redundancy. Others get scattered in pleasant location, which might be freeing. Okay, enough with the morbid.
Okay, MSO...
You are cracking me up! I almost spewed my coffee reading your hilarious post!
I'm loving all these great posts, thanks Friends!
And some of them are helping me do a tiny bit better in policing up my pipe ashes, and that's a big help.
kindly
mike

• Haha
Reactions: mso489 and JOHN72