PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I said it before and I'll say it again..."Jesse and Simon said it best...the Polish stuff is CRAP! Be aware that it's now made in Poland and the old afficianados are saying that its a pale imitation of its previous Irish made self ...yeah, truly CRAP"
To me that is the bottom line...tried several different packs of the new Condor thinking it was just that first pack...nope it is still crap!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I said it before and I'll say it again..."Jesse and Simon said it best...the Polish stuff is CRAP! Be aware that it's now made in Poland and the old afficianados are saying that its a pale imitation of its previous Irish made self ...yeah, truly CRAP"
To me that is the bottom line...tried several different packs of the new Condor thinking it was just that first pack...nope it is still crap!
And what was different about it? Besides you hearing it was different ? And the fact it’s brand new production and not some block that sat around for 10 years before you got it?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Have no idear what that stuff is. Berlin Electro? Is that the German Techno often played at gay clubs? (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) Argentinian Cumbia? This is not what the kids are listening to around these parts.

I don't know what is played at gay clubs - do they all play the same stuff? I'm originally from Detroit, so I grew up around techno.

Sample of Berliner Techno: Circoloco Radio 132 - Jennifer Cardini - https://m.soundcloud.com/circolocoibizaofficial/circoloco-radio-132

Sample of Argentinian Cumbia: Cumbia mix - https://m.soundcloud.com/deejay-catracho/cumbia-mix

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
And what was different about it? Besides you hearing it was different ? And the fact it’s brand new production and not some block that sat around for 10 years before you got it?
The taste is different and not at all like the Irish version. The Polish version seems almost to have a chemical taste to it...and I was used to several different years of Irish production...it pretty much tasted the same each time. I didn't hear it was different until I tried it...so hearing about it didn't enter into the analysis.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The taste is different and not at all like the Irish version. The Polish version seems almost to have a chemical taste to it...and I was used to several different years of Irish production...it pretty much tasted the same each time. I didn't hear it was different until I tried it...so hearing about it didn't enter into the analysis.
Ok interesting! I can respect that. I haven’t noticed a big difference at all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Since I was asked to chime in, here's my review of Condor Plug, old and new.

This is the same as the long flake and ready rubbed with two exceptions. The sweet flavors here seem subtly more pronounced and fermented than they are in the other cuts. The floralness is very slightly less obvious. And while I gave this the same strength and taste ratings as the others, I'd say this just a tad less so in both departments, though that may be because I get a slight more smoothness here. The differences are minor, but I notice them. Therefore, the rest of this review is essentially a duplicate of the Long Flake version, though the plug may need more relights.

The flavor of the Virginia is mostly hidden, though I do get some earth and a hint of grass from it. The topping is a little perfumy and soapy, and definitely floral. I get some dark fruitiness (slightly tangy) which may come from either the topping or the tobacco; it's a little hard to decide which, but perhaps it's from both. I sense a little citrus, too. There’s a slight sharpness to it that I associate with burley, so perhaps a little is present? Has a nice nic-hit. Not as overwhelming as I had expected, which is a plus, but I consider this to be more for an experienced smoker. Fully flavored, burns slow with a consistent taste, which is more of an acquired one for many smokers. Leaves no moisture or dottle. May require more relights than the other versions, depending upon how you prepare the flake. It's not an all day smoke, but if this fits your flavor profile, repetition will enter your mind. Will ghost a pipe fast, so be prepared to either dedicate a briar or a cob to it. I suggest trying it out in a meer first.

Update: 6-1-2018: Condor is now made in Poland, much to its detriment. The tobaccos have less strength and (practically no) nuances. The toppings are different, and weaker, though some soap and floralness are present. Has a bitter, unattractive sourness not present in the older manufacture. Will still ghost a briar and a meer. In the last third of the bowl, I detected a cigarette note that I never experienced before. The plug itself is moister and more pliable than before. In short, it’s not the same plug as before. This version gets one star.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don't know what is played at gay clubs - do they all play the same stuff? I'm originally from Detroit, so I grew up around techno.

Sample of Berliner Techno: Circoloco Radio 132 - Jennifer Cardini - https://m.soundcloud.com/circolocoibizaofficial/circoloco-radio-132

Sample of Argentinian Cumbia: Cumbia mix - https://m.soundcloud.com/deejay-catracho/cumbia-mix
Not a regular to those types of clubs, it’s more of an exaggerated joke, I always imagine German techno music blasting at those clubs.

Thanks for providing some links, I’ll check those out, see what the kids are listening to.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This thread got me thinking that inspite of my recommendation for WH Red over polish condor plug, I hadn’t actually ever tried WH fresh out of the tin. I cracked my most recent one and can confirm that while I would still recommend WH from a price perspective, I actually preferred the fresh polish condor plug over it. With a few years age, the WH is a gazillion times richer (granted as is the condor potentially). Gallahers Condor Plug is still in its own league, and probably the best smoke I have ever had. If I could still order tobacco I’d probably just stick to GH Dark Flake Scented as “enough of that sort of vibe” and trade off the nuances in favour of poundage.

Reactions: jpberg

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
in Spain it is sold again, I buy it regularly and smoke it a lot, at the end you got it? @BROBS

Status
Not open for further replies.