PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
ugh I gotta call the bank it just blocked the charge since it's overseas.
I like that they can block legit charges but when someone steals my info they can charge away.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I'm intrigued to try Condor now, I kinda thought it was just the mass market run of the mill stuff. Global pandemic permitting i'm supposed to be in Ireland this weekend & Uk so I might pick a pack up

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm intrigued to try Condor now, I kinda thought it was just the mass market run of the mill stuff. Global pandemic permitting i'm supposed to be in Ireland this weekend & Uk so I might pick a pack up
Be aware that it's now made in Poland and the old afficianados are saying that its a pale imitation of its previous Irish made self.

Reactions: TinCup

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
@mingc
I've tried the Polish version and like it... I could see reasonable disappointment if you smoked the original your whole life and then they switched it up on you, but as far as I can tell, the original is a bit milder and sweeter, and the new has a stronger topping that is a nudge closer to a Lakeland essence. They are still pretty similar, kind of like a whisky that dropped the age statement... fans of the original know it's been changed a bit and may feel strongly about it, but new customers would likely never even notice.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
@mingc
I've tried the Polish version and like it... I could see reasonable disappointment if you smoked the original your whole life and then they switched it up on you, but as far as I can tell, the original is a bit milder and sweeter, and the new has a stronger topping that is a nudge closer to a Lakeland essence. They are still pretty similar, kind of like a whisky that dropped the age statement... fans of the original know it's been changed a bit and may feel strongly about it, but new customers would likely never even notice.
That's good to know. Reading the other reviews of the Polish production, the impression I got is that it's got less sauce in it. If the new is more floral, I can't see the objection.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
That's good to know. Reading the other reviews of the Polish production, the impression I got is that it's got less sauce in it. If the new is more floral, I can't see the objection.
Stronger might not be the right word for the Polish version... the original is a bit deeper while the new seems brighter. I realize both of those descriptors don't mean much if you haven't tried both. I just don't find the Polish to be objectionable. They're close enough that if one really needed that "Condor Moment" fix and couldn't get the Irish version, they'd likely be glad to have the new stuff. To my knowledge, there's nothing any closer out there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The 25g pouch you have is Gallaher production. The new stuff is made in Poland and isn't quite the same. If you want to experience the new stuff, I'm sure there's someone in the UK that can place an order for you. That's a hint!
Condor is now made in Poland and by all accounts of its devotees, the Polish product is Crap with a capital C. It's probably the kielbasa topping.

• Haha
Reactions: Reggie and JOHN72

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had the good sense to buy up multiple kilo's of the Irish made plug before they closed the Gallagher factory which resulted in myself and Weezell being able to ride out the Condor storm. The Polish Condor Plug is nothing like the original Condor Plug and was helpfully reviewed by Jim Ink's who was scathing about the stuff. If the Pipes Magazine tobacco sommelier says its crap you tend to realize that your taste buds are not going senile. That being said if you have not been exposed to the original then you will probably enjoy the Polish version made at the People Collective Tobacco Factory No.3 in Warsaw!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Gladly I'm only smoking The Long Cut version, and even this only on occasion, can the price on Condor be justified if we are taking into consideration the country of current manufacturing,where,as we all are aware, the price for groceries and tobacco alike are generally cheaper,

Reactions: JOHN72

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There's a great disparity in views here on whether the Polish Condor measures up to the Irish product. Guess I'll have to get some new pouches to compare then for myself. I've got a very modest amount of the Irish LC and RR squirreled away but it'd be nice if they don't have to be rationed out only once in a while.
It's hard for me to tell whether it's just the fact that the Irish made product is aged and the stuff I bought was new... but I thought in the ready rubbed form it was not far off. The new plug, I didn't like much... though I haven't tried the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.