PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
After a bit more looking I've ordered some Taragui Yerba Mate. Some people refer to it as having a tobacco like aroma. Apparently it is also sometimes smoke cured, but this brand is supposed to be on the sweeter side.

I generally don’t drink tea - but very occasionally enjoy a cup of Darjeeling. I buy them from local Indian grocery, but lately they have stopped carrying Good quality Darjeeling.

Even less occasionally - Over-steeped and slightly bitter Assam with creamy milk, lots of sugar a dash of cardamom and a hint of ginger. Indian street tea !

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Dissident_Mantis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2020
I had a cup of Lapsang Souchong last week, on an empty stomach. It really did a number on me, is that typical? I don't care for hot tea, but I really enjoyed the smokey flavor of this tea.

As a general rule I do not drink tea on an empty stomach. The tannins don't sit well with me and I have even vomited on a couple of occasions.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Try Harney & Sons - excellent teas at the best price I've seen. Free shipping as well!
Thanks for the heads up. I placed an order on Monday and it's being delivered today. I love free shipping and quick too.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I had a cup of Lapsang Souchong last week, on an empty stomach. It really did a number on me, is that typical? I don't care for hot tea, but I really enjoyed the smokey flavor of this tea.
I have had that experience before with some coffees, but not usually with tea or lapsang souchong. Maybe it was a bit over-steeped? Usually 2-3 minutes of time is enough as extended steeping time can result in an oil slick on the top surface along with some astringency. Boiling water will also result in higher astringency and harsher smokiness, so try using water in the 180-190*F range too see if it provides a softer, less astringent flavor with a smokiness that leans more toward fruity rather than campfire (although I do love STRONG smokiness!). For this tea especially, experiment with the water temperature and steeping time to dial in the experience based on your preferences. Hope this helps!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 1, 2014
Does anyone else make all their tea with a coffee maker?
I'm just throwing loose leaf into coffee filters right now. Bags work basically the same.

It's been so long since I've "Steeped" tea that all I can remember of the process is constantly getting it wrong. I haven't had a bitter cup of tea in years.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm just throwing loose leaf into coffee filters right now. Bags work basically the same.

It's been so long since I've "Steeped" tea that all I can remember of the process is constantly getting it wrong. I haven't had a bitter cup of tea in years.
I use an electric hot water kettle with variable temperature control and a finum-style infuser in my mug.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

My wife and I both drink loose leaf tea and we use a 4 cup Mr. Coffee drip pot dedicated to tea. Interestingly, the merchant we buy our tea from does the same thing.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'd long bought my tea locally or as close to it as I an get-110 miles away. Like to support local businesses. But, due to covid, his shop is closed and am just about out of Scottish breakfast blend tea. So, decided to try actual Scottish-made Scottish breakfast blend tea, buying about a pound of Brodies online. Looking forward to trying it for the first time.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'd long bought my tea locally or as close to it as I an get-110 miles away. Like to support local businesses. But, due to covid, his shop is closed and am just about out of Scottish breakfast blend tea. So, decided to try actual Scottish-made Scottish breakfast blend tea, buying about a pound of Brodies online. Looking forward to trying it for the first time.
Enjoy! Haven't had nor heard of before, so please report back as I have been looking for a new tea to add to the rotation.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
With Hot Tea you need to experiment and see what ones you like best, similar to Tobacco YMMV kind of thing.

Pu-erh teas are very good and come in a small brick that looks like a Pocket Kilo, slice off a bit ditch the 1st rinse and brew away. Very strong and you can get many cups from one teaball.

If you check Amazon you can get samples from many places and can be had for a cheap price if you do some browsing around. Hope you find the tea you are looking for, nothing quite like a Hot cup of tea you really enjoy plus goes well with the pipe!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
With Hot Tea you need to experiment and see what ones you like best, similar to Tobacco YMMV kind of thing.

Pu-erh teas are very good and come in a small brick that looks like a Pocket Kilo, slice off a bit ditch the 1st rinse and brew away. Very strong and you can get many cups from one teaball.

If you check Amazon you can get samples from many places and can be had for a cheap price if you do some browsing around. Hope you find the tea you are looking for, nothing quite like a Hot cup of tea you really enjoy plus goes well with the pipe!
Couldn't get into pu-erh. Tasted a bit "dirt-like" to me.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am obsessed with tea. Have been doing it a long time and have a tea cellar. Lapsang, like many teas, varies in quality and smokiness. There are some really heavily smoked ones, but the majority of mass market are lighter because they assume the US market is not ready for the intensity. If you want a smokier one you may try THIS for a good quality high smoke characteristic.

For you other puerh fans, or those reading along, a lot of the confusion is that there are two types of puerh. The original, sheng, meant to be aged for a long time and developing more and more over decades. Then in the seventies, they tried to speed up the process with wet piling. This is shou puerh, and is "pre-fermented" so to speak. This is where you get the dirty flavor. This tea is a good thing with a little age on it, but very different and often what people wind up with if they don't know what puerh actually is. Plus, you should be brewing any of these gong fu style, short steeps of 5g to 100mL of water or so. Like tobacco, everyone has their own preference on preparation, these are only guidelines. But if you want to get serious about puerh check out Yunnan Sourcing, and tell Scott that Nathan Davis sent you. He'll hook you up with a cool sampler or something to help you explore the different puerh regions and ages of plants, and all of the fun ways puerh can vary.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I am obsessed with tea. Have been doing it a long time and have a tea cellar. Lapsang, like many teas, varies in quality and smokiness. There are some really heavily smoked ones, but the majority of mass market are lighter because they assume the US market is not ready for the intensity. If you want a smokier one you may try THIS for a good quality high smoke characteristic.

For you other puerh fans, or those reading along, a lot of the confusion is that there are two types of puerh. The original, sheng, meant to be aged for a long time and developing more and more over decades. Then in the seventies, they tried to speed up the process with wet piling. This is shou puerh, and is "pre-fermented" so to speak. This is where you get the dirty flavor. This tea is a good thing with a little age on it, but very different and often what people wind up with if they don't know what puerh actually is. Plus, you should be brewing any of these gong fu style, short steeps of 5g to 100mL of water or so. Like tobacco, everyone has their own preference on preparation, these are only guidelines. But if you want to get serious about puerh check out Yunnan Sourcing, and tell Scott that Nathan Davis sent you. He'll hook you up with a cool sampler or something to help you explore the different puerh regions and ages of plants, and all of the fun ways puerh can vary.
Must have tried the shou puerh as it had a dirt-like flavor which turned me off of trying other puerhs.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
I’m very much a novice when it comes to hot tea, but I do love pairing beverages with tobaccos, and am always looking for new avenues to explore.

Someone on one of the forums (maybe this one?) recommended Earl Grey with Gawith Hoggarth Dark Flake scented, and I must say that I tried it and was quite impressed. It’s like the 2 were meant for one another. Traditional British flavored tobacco with the bergamot, maple, licorice, and tonquin just meld seamlessly with the bergamot heavy Earl Grey. I LOVE it! I am drinking some now and smoking GH Louisiana Flake....someone earlier in this thread mentioned Earl Grey working well with VaPers, and I agree with that as well!

I’m more of a coffee guy, but I am definitely enjoying trying something new, and look forward to more tea and tobacco pairings, and will be following this thread more closely!

Status
Not open for further replies.