PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I will say that for a more complex tobacco (or at least what I understand to be a more complex tobacco), a white tea, with its super clean finish, pairs well. I enjoy smokey teas, but sometimes feel that a smokey tea with a smokey pipe gets to be too much.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've only slightly dabbled in the tea realm the past couple of years. My brother has as well. Really about all I had tried was few english breakfast teas, and Earl Gray's. was pretty happy there. I read here a while back about Lapsang. The smokiness intrigued my brother and I. He picked up some Taylor's of Harrogate and we've been sampling it lately. We love the flavor, but were expecting something stronger. Are other Lapsangs a little bolder? As well what are some other suggestions to try?

B
Loose leaf tea is another on of my hobbies as well. My first experience with loose leaf tea was many years ago at a tea house while hiking in the backcountry in Canada and it was actually Lapsang Souchong. I loved it, so I was hooked and immediately ordered a pound of Stash Tea Lapsang Souchong when I returned home from that trip. The Stash brand tea had a good level of smokiness and is very reasonably priced. Just keep in mind when buying in bulk (a pound of loose leaf tea will make 150-200 cups depending on various factors, of course) the smokiness can and most likely is fade/soften a bit over time just like it does for rauchbier and latakia tobacco.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Loose leaf tea is another on of my hobbies as well. My first experience with loose leaf tea was many years ago at a tea house while hiking in the backcountry in Canada and it was actually Lapsang Souchong. I loved it, so I was hooked and immediately ordered a pound of Stash Tea Lapsang Souchong when I returned home from that trip. The Stash brand tea had a good level of smokiness and is very reasonably priced. Just keep in mind when buying in bulk (a pound of loose leaf tea will make 150-200 cups depending on various factors, of course) the smokiness can and most likely is fade/soften a bit over time just like it does for rauchbier and latakia tobacco.
I second the recommendation for Lapsang Souchong. I've even played with tossing some of it in a foil pouch in the oven to add a touch of quick and dirty smoke flavor to Salmon. Nothing like wood pellets but the wife would freak if I did that in the oven.

Reactions: dcon

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Never cared for regular teas, I'm a coffee guy. I do however have a cup or two of twinnings french vanilla chai tea everyday after work. Goes good with a Virginia.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I second the recommendation for Lapsang Souchong. I've even played with tossing some of it in a foil pouch in the oven to add a touch of quick and dirty smoke flavor to Salmon. Nothing like wood pellets but the wife would freak if I did that in the oven.
I have actually steeped Lapsang Souchong in English-style Mild Ale that I've made in the past to add some subtle smoky character to the beer. It worked very well.

Mar 1, 2014
If you like Latakia or dark fired Kentucky, try any thing with Lapsang Suchong in it.. smells and tastes like a campfire
I actually just discovered this while browsing AliExpress last week, totally without prompting.
Apparently they have pressed bricks of fermented Tea as well.
Turns out the Tobacco world isn't so unique as I thought, now I'm really wondering which one came first, and where do I get Ennerdale Tea?

• Haha

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I actually just discovered this while browsing AliExpress last week, totally without prompting.
Apparently they have pressed bricks of fermented Tea as well.
Turns out the Tobacco world isn't so unique as I thought, now I'm really wondering which one came first, and where do I get Ennerdale Tea?
Yep. pu-erh tea is a fermented compressed tea. I was on a tea kick many years ago and bought a brick of 100 year old pu-erh. It's an acquired taste. If you ever had a worm box to propagate nightcrawlers for fishing,,,, it smells a bit like that. Very earthy.

Reactions: twoonefive

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
I have actually steeped Lapsang Souchong in English-style Mild Ale that I've made in the past to add some subtle smoky character to the beer. It worked very well.
Cool. I have experimented a bit with flavoring beer with tea to bring on a unique smokiness but I haven't pulled the trigger on making any in a full batch. Closest I got is a Chai Spiced Brown ale that tastes like Christmas.

Mar 1, 2014
Yep. pu-erh tea is a fermented compressed tea. I was on a tea kick many years ago and bought a brick of 100 year old pu-erh. It's an acquired taste. If you ever had a worm box to propagate nightcrawlers for fishing,,,, it smells a bit like that. Very earthy.

That's how people describe Shu or ten year old Sheng, but the Sheng tea after fifteen years is said to take on sweetness.

Reactions: twoonefive

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've only slightly dabbled in the tea realm the past couple of years. My brother has as well. Really about all I had tried was few english breakfast teas, and Earl Gray's. was pretty happy there. I read here a while back about Lapsang. The smokiness intrigued my brother and I. He picked up some Taylor's of Harrogate and we've been sampling it lately. We love the flavor, but were expecting something stronger. Are other Lapsangs a little bolder? As well what are some other suggestions to try?

B
I don't know the brand but I used to get a really strong flavored one at my local Asain market before they moved too far too get to easily. So that might be a good place to look. It honestly smelled like someone mixed road tar with pinesol. The taste was great though really strong. And yeah even through the plastic and tin you could get a decent whiff of creosote.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
As I smoke mostly English blends, I have found Upton Tea's Baker Street Afternoon Blend (a mixture of Lapsang, Keemun and Darjeeling) to be a very satisfying match.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Chinese and Vietnamese Black teas are much smoother and have less astringency than Indian teas. Oolongs are beautiful teas that are super smooth with nice flavor.
Skip the tea bags and go directly to loose teas and watch the water temperature and steeping times.
Also, don't get the CTC teas - poor quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.