PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
My friend suggested putting the tobacco out to air dry before smoking. If you've ever raked leaves in the Fall and tried to burned them, this will make sense.
I put a couple ounces in a paper sack yesterday, to see how it smokes while progressively drying out. So far, it's gotten better. I'm assuming it will start getting worse at some point.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just saw you mention furnace, you don’t need or want that.

There is also nothing wrong with relighting.

I’m of the mindset to light the tobacco as little as possible, to only take a few sips. Then I let it go out, I let the pipe cool, then I light gently and as little as possible again, this is how I smoke.

For me personally, doing it like this, I get the richest flavors out of the tabac.

At some point, to much fire and heat destroys the flavor.

P.S. Your Pipe Style is yours, don’t think about the right or wrong way, just experiment until you find your style, and you will over time.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I just saw you mention furnace, you don’t need or want that.

There is also nothing wrong with relighting.

I’m of the mindset to light the tobacco as little as possible, to only take a few sips. Then I let it go out, I let the pipe cool, then I light gently and as little as possible again, this is how I smoke.

For me personally, doing it like this, I get the richest flavors out of the tabac.

At some point, to much fire and heat destroys the flavor.

P.S. Your Pipe Style is yours, don’t think about the right or wrong way, just experiment until you find your style, and you will over time.
I do agree. ?

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Gravity fill - a draw will be too open. Dry completely - it will burn even hotter. Use filters - it will take away the flavour.
Don't stop trying - you will get bitten again and again. ?
Take it as a learning curve. Combine kissing with gently caressing the top with a flame. If it doesn't work - just f@€& it and take the pain.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
My very first experience with a pipe was April 10 of this year. So it's all still new. I would never have guessed there was any skill involved. Wrong again.
Oh don't get too wrapped up in that. We're all self proclaimed experts here, but the reality of what we're trying to achieve is very simple. It's in the refinement of the outcome that we become astronomers. Don't fret, and don't take it so seriously. At the end of the day it's about how you're enjoying the pastime, not any perceived sense of expertise. Though I'm sure some here revel in that...

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
I make sure to blow the smoke out of the sides of my mouth quite quickly in a Choo Choo train cadence when lighting initially and avoid tongue bite in that way.

Another trick is to have iced drink with you and drink immediately after feeling any burn.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Progress: I'm using just the heat rather than the flame itself, and am lighting more quickly and briefly. I often have to do three lights - charring, true, and I'm-serious-this-time - all of which add up to half the butane used previously. My sipping is slower, the cherry is cooler, the flavor is stronger, and I'm happily relighting as needed. Life is good! Thanks for the help.